Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Purebred dog owners immoral?

Options
  • 23-02-2008 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

I have a bone to pick with those who preach that buying purebred dog is immoral.My sister,for example,says that anybody who breeds or buys purebred dogs is just fuelling the market and that there is no point in purebred dogs.In my opinion that rubbish.There is a need for purebred dogs and they are in no way inferior to mongrels.

Does anyone have an opinion on this matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

GA361 wrote: »
    I have a bone to pick with those who preach that buying purebred dog is immoral.My sister,for example,says that anybody who breeds or buys purebred dogs is just fuelling the market and that there is no point in purebred dogs.In my opinion that rubbish.There is a need for purebred dogs and they are in no way inferior to mongrels.

Does anyone have an opinion on this matter?

I think you're sister is retarded.

Ive never heard such sh1te in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

snyper wrote: »
    I think you're sister is retarded.

Ive never heard such sh1te in my life.
    I'm fairly sure she isn't retarded but I do agree with your OTHER point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Immoral is a biiiiig word ...so I wouldn't use that (plus I own a PB myself:D)

But ....
    When it comes down to the nitty-gritty, dogs are dogs, be they of the blue blooded variety or of the accidental kind.

Getting a PB offers a few advantages: you know exactly what you're getting, you know what your dog will lok like, how big it will grow and to a certain degree what kind of character traits it will (should) have.
    With a mongrel pup it's just pot luck.

Yet here's another but ...
    The overall health of the whole dog population (due to very selective pure line breeding) has by now so far deteriorated that it is more and more difficult to get a healthy PB, one that is not prone to one of many inherited diseases and one that will live a long and healthy life.
    If we continue to buy and keep purebred dogs only, we will very soon breed dogs into exctinction, as the gene pool is geting very shallow and foul very rapidly.

Up to now, mongrels (real mongrels of the Heinz 57 variety, not designer crossbreeds) are still relatively healthy. But they are also becoming extinct, because nobody wants them anymore and people would rather have a shiny (and defective) PB.

I don't know what exactly the solution to this problem is, but I'm sure that buying purebreds isn't it (and I won't get another one, ever)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I have a purebred and a mongrel, I want my next dog to be a mongrel though because I think they are more unique than a mass-produced purebred. I agree with her on the breeding though, I know there are a lot of good breeders but I think breeding dog's at the moment is unnecessary. If breeding was given a break for a couple of year's I'm sure the dog population would go down at least a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dog numbers are more of a mongrel problem not purebreed problem..

I have a mongrel.. never had a purebread.. mongs are smarter :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

There are a lot of mongrels but there are also hundreds (if not thousands) of purebred dog's homeless as well, staffies are a big one, as are greyhounds, but they are still being bred on a huge scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Threads like this make Baby Jesus cry. Please make it stop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement