Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snakehead

Options
  • 23-02-2008 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

Anyone see the article is the paper last week about the Snakehead caught by some guy Pike fishing in the UK ?

Would'nt fancy unhooking that :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

First thing that comes to mind... Hoax!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

perch like........ :)

Im sure it is a real fish, just not caught on our side of the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

well it wouldn't be the first time a foreign fish has been introduced to waters.. take zander for instance.. introduced to british waters with disastrous consequences.. anyone remember the kull that happened !!!

• Advertisement

Zander have no "disastrous" concequences.
    There are some introduced spicies that have had some effect like the Zebra mussle or the Signal crayfish or even the Gudgeon but they all ballance themselves out and have good and bad attached to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

It reminds me of the two foot turtle i saw swimming in the botanic gardens,it looks like somebody dumped it there and it grew and flourished.
    Off topic,does anybody know where i'd get live minnow to re-stock a river?

Degsy wrote: »
    It reminds me of the two foot turtle i saw swimming in the botanic gardens,it looks like somebody dumped it there and it grew and flourished.
    Off topic,does anybody know where i'd get live minnow to re-stock a river?

Make a minnow trap
    Go to a river with lots of minnow(most rivers)
    Rather than using a jam jar, ues a 2 litre clear plastic bottle, cut the top 3 inches off neatly and reverse it, glue it together, tidy up any sharp bits,
    Stick a handle on it for getting it out of the water.
    Should take no more than 10-15 mins to make.

Make a minnow trap
    Rather than using a jam jar, ues a 2 litre clear plastic bottle, cut the top 3 inches off neatly and reverse it, glue it together, tidy up any sharp bits,

Forgot about that..used to make em years ago.A river i know was destroyed by pollution several years back and i want to introduce minnows back into it as they used to thrive there when i was a kid.Dunno a minnow rich river anybody?

Forgot about that..used to make em years ago.A river i know was destroyed by pollution several years back and i want to introduce minnows back into it as they used to thrive there when i was a kid.Dunno a minnow rich river anybody?

Where are you located?
    Be careful that you dont introduce any gudgeon as they will push out the minnnow

• Advertisement

Where are you located?
    Be careful that you dont introduce any gudgeon as they will push out the minnnow

North Dublin,the stream is near the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

Make a minnow trap

hi
    what fish will take a live Minnow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

seen a docu on discovery about these in america, they are running amuck and taking over rivers, they are believed to have gotten into the american waters from asian restaraunt owner who released them into a pond!!! some people are completely brain dead:mad:, they were sent from asia alive on the black market! yanks are spending a fortune in an attempt to stop the infestation....

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

bayliner wrote: »
    seen a docu on discovery about these in america, they are running amuck and taking over rivers, they are believed to have gotten into the american waters from asian restaraunt owner who released them into a pond!!! some people are completely brain dead:mad:, they were sent from asia alive on the black market! yanks are spending a fortune in an attempt to stop the infestation....

yeah i saw that doc it was real good they have asian carp as well it will happen ere soon if not already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Probably best calling into the Fisheries (IFI) there in Swords if you want expert advice on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

hi
    what fish will take a live Minnow :)
    its against the law to live bait for river fish not sure about sea fish and i use minnow all the time its my favourite bait to use for the river dodder for big brown trout they love them but minnow has to be dead first use a single hook and then a small treble in its back and flick it back
    also big perch and pike eat minnow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

the dodder is crammed with minnow

Advertisement