Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This can't be right?

Options
  • 23-02-2008 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭

A friend I know owns a rare breed of dog (I don't want to mention the breed as there are very few in Ireland and she will be making a formal compliant). Her bitch had an accidental litter (she should have been out of heat... was still using the bitch spray as precaution, obviously didn't help) with another of this breed that she owned, a rescue case that she was hoping to help along and maybe one day be able to show. So, the pups were born unexpectedly, and she went in the search of good homes. She made up contracts that these pups would not be registered as purebred, no papers would come with the pups and the owners would not seek them in the future (she let the owners see the dam's and sire's papers though), and if at any point they tried to breed from the dog the pups would not be able to be registered as purebred. She did this as many would consider it a fashion dog, and there are many people who would get it for how it looks, not realsing the special care this breed needs. She was worried people would just buy them from her to breed and make money off them. She could have sold them for much more with papers, but she just wanted these pups to be a loveable family dog.

She interviewed the perspective owners, and all have seemed happy with this. Now one has turned around demanding papers for the dog. She said that she spoke to her friend in the kennel club, and that her friend said since on the contract it gave the breeder's name and the dam information, she could get the papers for her.

Surely this is not right?! My friend is going to make a complaint to the kennel club over this. But this must be a case of a friend bending the rules for another friend... I mean, the kennel club wouldn't have the authority to do this normally? (Unless this is a bluff on her part to try to get my friend to issue the papers???) Otherwise, what controls are breeders allowed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

Tell your friend get on to the IKC immediately, email a complaint also and phone untill this is resolved.

Also the person could be chancing his/her arm trying to get the pup registered and saying she knows someone in the IKC when in fact she probably doesnt.

The pup cannot be registered without the breeders consent and signature so dont worry too much about it- if she complains enough to the IKC the matter will be resolved pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Thanks a mill Shinners - just wanted advice from other breeders out there!

She will be making a formal compliant, and at least her mind can be put at rest. I'm not sure if the owner was bluffing though, as she's still trying to pressure my mate to organise the papers herself. It would be a pity if this person got the papers. Her excuse is that she thinks it's so perfect that she has to show it, even though my friend told her that her pup is a little big for the perfect breed standard. She does care for her dog, but we think that the owner thinks that everyone is like her and would give a unique looking dog like hers a good home, and wants to breed from it. Sadly this isn't the case :(

No problem at all. Im sure its a horrible situation for your friend to be in.
    i'm not sure if the owner was bluffing though, as she's still trying to pressure my mate to organise the papers herself.

Which shows that the owner is more than likely bluffing imo - once your friend contacts the IKC she can rest at ease and then basically tell the owner to take it up with them.

also i suspect the owner doesnt want to just show the dog, but probably breed it espically if it is a rare breed. :(

hope it all works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

If the dog conforms to the breed standard it can assertain papers but,that being said,she cannot legally violate the terms of the no-breed and neuter contract that many breeders make you agree to,(provided the contract is signed).

Legally though the breeder needs to give permission for his/her pups to be registered, just because an animal meets a breed standard that does not mean that it is automatically entilted to be registered in my opinion.

Also as the signed contract is a legally binding document i wouldnt stress out with worry about this, as i said before the owner is chancing his/her arm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement