Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat develops bald patches ?

Options
  • 23-02-2008 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I have 2 cats, a female who´s 8 and a male aged 4. Up until quite recently they both got along really well, then the male started spontaneously nipping/biting my other cat in the back. I thought he was just playing until I realised that it was seriously stressing the female, who by now had started to develop a bald strip up her spine and a couple of other bald patches on her side.

My question is ... is the stress of the male´s nipping enough to make the other´s fur to fall out ? They´re both neutered since kittens, live in a relatively rural location with plenty of outdoor scope and very few other cats around. If so, how do I stop the bald patches getting worse ?

If anyone can help me out with this I´d be really appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It could also be ringworm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=2023&articleid=223

let the vet exclude that one first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

Stress can lead to hair loss but either way id defo take the cat to the vet.
    Also is there any way you can prevent the male from biting her and stressing her out? Or keeping them seperate or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nushooz

Thanks for the replies folks.

I´m pretty sure it´s not ringworm, but just to be on the safe side I´ll take her to the vet.

As for keeping them apart, they often spend the day doing their own thing outside and then sleep separately at night, but I will be keeping a close eye on the male´s behaviour. Cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I would check its not ring worm if it is be careful as it can spread to humans.and other animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Sounds like mites, AKA mange. Get some treatment if your vet concurs.

WYK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

One of my moggies was getting bald patches down his spine and it turned out to be a flea allergy. I started by treating that every few months with a liquid the vet recommended (can't remember the name now but I can find out if ness, I just put a little on the back of his neck) but what really seemed to make a difference was simply putting a flea collar on him! He hasn't had an outbreak or lost any fur in well over a year now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jenrobbri

I have quite a few wild cats around my Garden. One of them has lost loads of hair, it has very large bald patches all over:(. If this is mange is there any way i can treat it? Theres no chance catching the cat. Is there anything i could put in it's food?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

My male cat got bald patches on 2 occasions and the vet said it was an allergy to fleas and their droppings. Had to give tablets for a week to 10 days.

Advertisement