Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Tax question on an RX-8

Options
  • 23-02-2008 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Just a question someone might answer...

I'm looking at importing an RX-8 in the next month from the UK. Currently the yearly roadtax in Ireland will be about €500, from what I can make out. (I believe its classed as a 1.8l for tax.)

I've been reading the sticky at the top of the forum about the new motor tax and vrt. Am I right in thinking that if I import the car before the 1st of July the yearly roadtax each year will be about €500 and if I import after the 1st of July it will change to Band G (€2000) each year?

I'm looking at bringing in an RX-8 and dont want to get stung with a €2000 a year road tax bill! Fuel prices I can handle. ;)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Yup. You're on the money. Before July it'll be taxed as a 1.8, after July it'll be taxed as a planet killer. Get the finger out ;)

(P.S. Get the 231)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Ironically it's one of the several cars that will be killed off by Gormleys new regime, whereas the Merc S600 for example, will continue on unabated: What's €2K road tax to someone who can afford a €150K car?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

JHMEG wrote: »
    Ironically it's one of the several cars that will be killed off by Gormleys new regime, whereas the Merc S600 for example, will continue on unabated: What's €2K road tax to someone who can afford a €150K car?

I don't really get the irony there - because it technically has a smaller capacity?

Ok, maybe ironically is not the right word.

I thought Gormley wanted the worst polluters off the road. €2k motor tax won't discourage any S-class sales. It will discourage people from buying the RX-8 tho, which puts out half the CO2 of an S600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

An RX-8 puts out 243 g/km, an S600 puts out 340 g/km, how is that "half the CO2 of the Merc":confused:?

In fairness so few people buy either car, I don't know if it makes much of a difference(I take the point that €2k a year road tax is an awful lot more to someone who has an RX-8 than an S600 though).

• Advertisement

It's called exaggeration E92. Don't look so confused!

Exaggeration, overstatement, magnification
    making to seem more important than it really is

Point being Gormley's tax won't discourage a single luxo-barge car from being bought.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

BNC wrote: »

I'm looking at bringing in an RX-8 and dont want to get stung with a €2000 a year road tax bill! Fuel prices I can handle. ;)
    Personally, I can't see the government continuing having two taxation systems. Sooner or later they will force all cars onto the new system. Will you be able to afford the 2k then and if not, will anyone want the car? Just something to consider!
    Point being Gormley's tax won't discourage a single luxo-barge car from being bought.
    True but if the logic were to continue across Europe then you may see manufacturers changing their technologies somewhat as it wouldn't be economical to produce engines for one class only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I thought Gormley wanted the worst polluters off the road.
    If he wanted that he'd be taxing fuel wouldn't he, and none of the road tax(or at the very least a flat tax rate for all cars) and VRT wouldn't be based on CO2 emissions(or wouldn't be there at all).

RE exaggeration, well all I can say is my bad;).

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

kbannon wrote: »
    Personally, I can't see the government continuing having two taxation systems. Sooner or later they will force all cars onto the new system. Will you be able to afford the 2k then and if not, will anyone want the car? Just something to consider!
    QUOTE]

I wonder what the penalty is for having no road tax - is it worse than €2K/Year? It's just there's a few cars on the road atm that don't have tax/insurance and there seems to be no deterent for these. What about after the tax goes up........

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you are not taxed then (usually after about 3 months) they can sieze it. You would pay a daily storage charge (IIRC its about €130) and you can only get your car back if you have it taxed (or on a trailer, etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

kbannon wrote: »

Yeah, thats whats in the back of my head. Although the thought behind the tax on all new cars may be that older cars that may be in the same tax band will eventually fade over time. (Or is that me just trying to persuade myself!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kenricd

Im stuck in the exact same dilema bnc... came across your thread whilst desperately seeking answers!! It seemed too easy to grab an RX8 for next to nothing in the uk and bring it over but these new rules are a mare!!! vrt going up to 33% and the tax hitting €2k thats mental. even finding a loop hole and avoiding vrt ;) you are still gonna get hit by the tax when you re-register. is there any way to check that if you register it before v-day as it seems to be known :D if they are defo gonna leave the tax as is on old cars? Anyone got any ideas for similar cars to get where we could use the clowns new rules against him?? something hefty with low emmisions?

car tax sucks a$$

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hold on a minute everyone.....You will no be paying €2000 a year road tax.....That's only if you import a 2008 RX-8........The carbon tax only applies to new cars(2008)....

You will have to pay higher vrt on your rx8 but not road tax....

Loads of posts on this, you'd be amazed at the amount of people who don't have a clue what's happening...

Just so your 100%, you will not have to pay €2000 a year road tax unless it is a 2008 model!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Hold on a minute everyone.....You will no be paying €2000 a year road tax.....That's only if you import a 2008 RX-8........The carbon tax only applies to new cars(2008)....

You will have to pay higher vrt on your rx8 but not road tax....

Loads of posts on this, you'd be amazed at the amount of people who don't have a clue what's happening...

Just so your 100%, you will not have to pay €2000 a year road tax unless it is a 2008 model!!

This thread is over 3 months old ;)

At the time the change in motortax was proposed to effect all imports, which has since been altered.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,128 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Cionád wrote: »
    This thread is over 3 months old ;)

The thread is, but not the post from kenricd to which drunkmonkey responded.

Anyway - see the first post in the new sticky for all the details!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement