Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog constantly licking lips

Options
  • 23-02-2008 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

Hiya,
    can anyone help me here. Just over the last week or 10 days, our little darling jack russell has started to lick her lips, more so like she has a dry mouth. I don't know what it is or what could have caused it.

there doesn't seem to be anything stuck to the roof of her mouth. Could it be something like canine diabetes??? It's odd. Her appetite is good, she enjoys her walks as per usual. she's about 14 years old, still full of the joys of life in every other aspect. Not overweight, or underweight, just constantly licking lips-well, more than she ever did before...

thanks in advance
    tampopo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A visit to the vet is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Have you changed the food she eats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

Dogs sometimes lick their lips repeatedly if they are stressed, it's a 'calming signal'.
    What's her temperament like?

Annika:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

There is obviously a reason for her starting to lick her lips a lot more, i would
    take her to a vet just to rule out anything sinister and to clarify why she is doing it.

No point second guessing just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

The first thing I would check is the condition of her gums and teeth, at 14 she might have a decaying or loose tooth, causing her to salivate more, hence all the licking. I would recommend a quick trip to the vet to see if she needs some dental work done.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,906 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My old dog used to do this too, when we took her to the vet he said it was a form of epilepsy (?), he said it wasn't any harm, but if we caught the dog doing it to try and distract her. Nothing ever came of it though, she lived until she was about 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    The first thing I would check is the condition of her gums and teeth, at 14 she might have a decaying or loose tooth, causing her to salivate more, hence all the licking. I would recommend a quick trip to the vet to see if she needs some dental work done.

I second that. Still, see a vet.

WYK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Thank you all.

nothing unusually different in her food source. Her temperament is fine, quite a calm girl. Mad as a hatter when young, had to be kept on a lead.Now she's obedient, walks to heel (practically) and runs while I cycle (slowly!) along. She's often commended for her temperament. I often bring her to local libraries and she chills. Accepts petting from children easily. She's a sweetheart.

I think it's the teeth...

Advertisement