Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Professor Thomas Kelly

Options
  • 23-02-2008 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Dear Student,

All lectures are cancelled on Monday next the 25th February as a mark of respect to our esteemed friend and colleague, Professor Thomas Kelly .

The arrangements for Professor Thomas Kelly�s funeral are as follows:

Removal tomorrow (Saturday 23rd February) to St. Kevin�s Church, Harrington Street, Dublin 8 to arrive at 4 p.m.

Funeral Mass at 11 a.m. on Monday 25th February in St. Kevin�s Church, Harrington Street followed by burial in The College Cemetery, St. Patrick�s College, Maynooth

Family flowers only please. Donations if desired to The Asthma Society of Ireland.

Tea and Coffee will be served in Pugin Hall following the burial.

For anyone wishing to avail of transport to the funeral, a coach will be leaving the Students Union tomorrow Saturday @ 2.30pm and on Monday morning @9.30am.

Dr David Redmond
    Registrar.

RIP :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 carmensarasate

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam. Tom was the finest, funniest and most sincere human I have ever encountered. From Philosophy to Latin, Greek, Muisc and Art, His passing is a tremendous loss to humanity.. Tom, I hope you have now found answers to all those ever-consuming questions.
    From someone who truly loved this wonderful man.

Rest in Peace, my Angel.
    Lambanousa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

can't believe it! I sat in on a few of his lectures and talked to him probably 2 times but he seemed like such a cool, down to earth and funny man! Certainly left a lasting impression on me anyways. So sad to hear about his untimely death.

RIP Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I only heard about this yesterday. What exactly happened to him does anyone know?

He was my Philosophy lecturer for three of the best years of my life. A wonderful, intelligent, funny, warm man. Loved by all of his students. I was very sad to hear this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I did Philosophy for 2 years and the first lecture was with Tom. Easy way to get new devotees to the subject! I never heard anyone say a bad thing about him.

RIP

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

He was brimming over with life and enthusiasm (even more than usual! :)) recently as a result of his new post and all the opportunities he envisaged to do new and different things, and bring the gift of philosophy, as he genuinely saw it, to all sorts of new audiences.

A sad loss to the University, to his family and friends. My sympathy to his wife, mother and family.

Tom, not sure you could soar much higher now than you did when you were supposedly bound to the earth, but I'm sure you'll have fun trying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I didn't do philosophy but sat in on his lectures on quite a few occassions and he was an absolute legend. Funny, clever, intelligent, serious and extremely engaging. Couldn't believe when I heard this. I'll always remember seeing him strolling around the campus chatting away to people, hands behind his back.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Professor Thomas Kelly got two large obituary articles with a photograph, in both the main national broadsheets last weekend. He was also one of very few Irish academics to have an article dedicated to him in the 'Encyclopedia of Ireland'. The man was clearly highly regarded all over the country and even internationally. I hear he was a fan of Latin, so I'll do him the honour of writing the maxim out in full.

Requiesat in Pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 monters

prof thomas kelly was a genius...an absolute legend

how did he die...and does any one know where he is buried?

thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

monters wrote: »
    prof thomas kelly was a genius...an absolute legend

how did he die...and does any one know where he is buried?

thanks
    Tragic accident. And he is buried in the college cemetery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 monters

thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PipeDreams

Only just heard that Professor Thomas Kelly had died :(

He taught me metaphysics may year ago and I well remember his passion for philosophy which came across in his excellent teaching.

His untimely death is quite sad, esp for his wife, family, friends & students.

May he rest in peace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Múinteoir wrote: »
    Professor Thomas Kelly got two large obituary articles with a photograph, in both the main national broadsheets last weekend. He was also one of very few Irish academics to have an article dedicated to him in the 'Encyclopedia of Ireland'. The man was clearly highly regarded all over the country and even internationally. I hear he was a fan of Latin, so I'll do him the honour of writing the maxim out in full.

Requiesat in Pace

I'm grateful I had the privilege of singing at his mass.
    This one's for him also;

Pie Jesu Domine, Dona eis requiem sempiternam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KieranG

I was out in Maynooth at the wkd (25th Jan, '09) and read that Tommy Kelly had died. I was a student of Tommy's from 1992 - 1994. He was an amazing man. He made philosophy so much fun and interesting. I had many a long conversation with him on subjects I never thought I'd be able to grasp, but with his sharp wit and extreme kindness, he helped me grasp these subjects. His laugh is forever ingrained on my mind. He's one of those pivotal people in life who come into your life and help shape the course of your thinking and ultimately your life. Thanks Tommy for being you. I miss you.

Kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I remember being saddened on the day he died. I never knew Tom other than on nodding acquaintance in the staff common room in the Arts block or in passing at lunch in the Refectory but I was always, always struck by the vitality, energy and big smile that seemed to be permanently stuck to his face, beaming out at everyone. Strange to think that such a life force is gone from the campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Alithea

I googled Thomas today as at this time of the year he is in my mind more than others. i came on this page and I'm not at all surprised to see others gushing over him, he would have loved that! He was my guide and a huge part of my family since his entrance into it. He is largely responsible for the opening of my mind and the broadening of my horizons. He introduced me to the world of the arts and spoiled me. I love him dearly and think of him every day, always will.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yourpost brought me back to Maynooth for a second. I remember seeing him walking in St Joe's square one morning with someone else and he laughed at something they said and it echoed through the square...I can still hear the laugh today! Loud and infectious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I had the privilege of being taught by him in my first year. He was an astounding intellect, and maestro of lecturing; one I have yet to meet a consistant equil of.

I can't remember if there was a single lecture I sat where he didn't
    receive applause at the end, and although I had only known him for 6 months or so, I was devastated when he died,

Much more shocked then I dare let on to people who knew him longer: I didn't feel like I deserved how terrible I felt compared to say, his family or friends did, but I did feel like I had lost a magnificent role model, literally a role model; A person in which I could glance an older, better, successful, wiser version of myself.

Incidentally they did a memorial just by the campus bridge walkway, it was a series of flower beds in the shape of giant footprints and on a sign there was a wonderful poem.

I say wonderful, because most poems I read are godforsakenly aweful and make me grimace for having let it into my brain, but I remember liking that one and have it "restore my faith" in poetry for a bit.

does anyone know who wrote it? I was under the impression it was a student, but I don't believe I ever managed to bother looking for an author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Alithea

one of thomas's best friends wrote the poem. the memorial was an art piece by his wife, marian. some students helped plant the flowers. as the posts on this board demonstrate, thomas left recognisable marks (or footprints) in the lives of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 uyew

I had the privilege of being taught by him in my first year. He was an astounding intellect, and maestro of lecturing; one I have yet to meet a consistant equil of.

I can't remember if there was a single lecture I sat where he didn't
    receive applause at the end, and although I had only known him for 6 months or so, I was devastated when he died,

Much more shocked then I dare let on to people who knew him longer: I didn't feel like I deserved how terrible I felt compared to say, his family or friends did, but I did feel like I had lost a magnificent role model, literally a role model; A person in which I could glance an older, better, successful, wiser version of myself.

Incidentally they did a memorial just by the campus bridge walkway, it was a series of flower beds in the shape of giant footprints and on a sign there was a wonderful poem.

I say wonderful, because most poems I read are godforsakenly aweful and make me grimace for having let it into my brain, but I remember liking that one and have it "restore my faith" in poetry for a bit.

does anyone know who wrote it? I was under the impression it was a student, but I don't believe I ever managed to bother looking for an author.
    Donal McMahon as far as I know. In English Dept NUI Maynooth

Advertisement