Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you lose your spiritual soulmate

Options
  • 22-02-2008 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Question for the regular users here...

I have a close friend so seems to be going through a really rough patch with their partner at the moment.

The two people involved imo are soulmates, on many levels but particularly on a spiritual level.

In trying to give comfort to my friend, I've been impressing on them that it's not really possible to 'lose' your spiritual soulmate, that if your sould finds resonance in another it cannot lose it.

However, if that's true then it goes against the whole theory of their not just being 1 love for each of us

I should clarify that this is not a 'PI' type post, it's not about romantic love, it's about a spiritual connection that has me confused

Thoughts anyone?

Ladybird

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

'Soul mates' is an earthly concept. If true, it would need many years of companionship, through all of life's varied stages, before it could be fully established.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Thanks Hiorta,

I do see your point & it does seem logical to me that it should take years of companionship to establish this level of 'soul mates'

These two, however, I think must have had that in another life.....they really do have that much of a connection. this goes beyond all the romantic & intimate stuff of a couple .......it goes to the very centre of both of them

Thank you though, it is someting to think about for myself (obviously I won't relay this to them as they both struggle;))

Ladybird

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you believe that two people are connected over lifetimes as soulmates, then that is a connection based on their higher self, their divinity. Its not a bond that can ever be broken.

If your friends are soul mates in this way, then the problems they are having are based on the emotions and feelings we have to deal with as physical beings. They may fall away from each other in this lifetime simply as a lesson, to experience what that entails. And they will learn hugely, spiritually from it. Unfortunately going through it is tough, and you only see the benefit with hindsight. I wish them love and strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I woudl say there is a difference in someone with whom I have a soul bond and someone who is my soul mate.

Indeed, Thaedydal. I was musing this as I read the posts.
    I have met many folk who, it seems, are kindred souls, but not what could be termed a soul-mate.
    Edgar Cayce clearly stated that groups of people, previously all known and cross related physically to each other, often re-incarnate as groups for a specific purpose. This last few years would seem to suggest this possibility.
    What a vast universe we enjoy.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I woudl say there is a difference in someone with whom I have a soul bond and someone who is my soul mate.

Hmmm that's really interesting Thaedyal,could you elaborate for me a bit please

LB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mbyte

How do you know they are soul mates?

In your opinion they are soul mates. Yet you don't say anything to indicate how you were lead to attain the opinion they are soul mates. Sure if they're having a rough patch would that not be an indication they are not soul mates? It seems to me that something must have happened to make you think they are soul mates otherwise they would be a normal couple. You don't say what area they are having the rough patch in either. It's just a rough patch? Does it involve money, a dispute over work, anger or something, cheating?

All I can say for now is that If they break up then it would appear they are not soul mates. Maybe they might get back together in time and be happy. If they break up and you have labeled them soul mates then you should not think that you can lose a soul mate because they might actually not be soul mates. You should not think in terms of "Is this my soul mate" I would imagine it would put a strain on the relationship.

You're right mbyte, I don't know for certain they are soulmates......I know they both believe that they were 'meant' to meet each other.
    Both are people who, though from different places seem to have gone through a similiar search in life for what made them unique etc.

They do also have all the normal nice couple stuff, not Hallmark sickening stuff but a genuine appreciation of each other & an ability to teach & learn of each other that I have to say I have never seen before

Mine was a general question........if I accept which I do that these two are or are as close as I can see to being soulmates & they can go through a rought patch.... it leaves me wondering can you lose the person you believe to be your soulmate.

BTW I won't go into details on their rough patch because I don't think it's right, they are friends.

I'm just musing on the fact that if you believe you've found your soul's resonance can you really lose it..........I think these two will find each other again even if they break up now

Should the idea of 'soulmates' hold water in the first place, would that limit soulmates to two?
    Or is that a wishful approach grafting western cultural notions onto spiritual realities?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Well to me the idea of soul mates is something completely beyond the physical world, a connection above and beyond the reality we live from day to day. And while in the physical world there are the mundanities of reality such as money, jobs, locations etc which may come between physical relationships, I think these would not exist in a larger spiritual sense, so while they may come between two people physically, I don't think they would affect a spiritual bond.
    would that limit soulmates to two?
    Personally I don't see why it would. In many ways I'd imagine our notions of a two person relationship would be based on physical evolutionary factors.

Sometime when thinking about the concept of soul-mates I wonder if they are two (or possibly more) distinct souls drawn together, or perhaps two complimentary parts of the same soul (possibly one which we are all a part of).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mbyte

Well the question itself. Can you lose your soulmate?

Well you can lose your soulmate. If your soulmate dies then you have lost them. Well you have lost them physicaly. Would it be logical to assume that a soulmate can die then you can also lose them due to materialistic problems like money problems or other problems. Well from the point of view that you can lose your lose mate if he/she dies then I suppose you can lose your soulmate due to materialistic problems like money problems. I wouldn't say you can lose them. You can lose them on physical basis but not on a spiritual basis. This all depends if there are "soulmates". Lets presume all the soulmate stuff exists. I would say that you can lose them physically but not spiritualy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

I believe a soul mate to actually be the twin of myself,the one soul who is so like me maybe they are me.
    I also believe my soulmate doesnt exist on the same plane as me,at the same time,i believe this to be the case because then life would be perfect and i wouldnt get to feel at the emotions i feel through different levels of connections here at this time.
    i also believe,in my human form that i probably wouldnt be able to handle the force of love from a soul mate,as it is such a strong connection.I srtongly feel my soulmate is there to help me,perhaps its my higher self?
    i also believe that male/female relationships are not on a soulmate level and it is rare to actually have your soul mate walk the earth with you.
    Yes,there are very strong spirtual connections with people which get mixed up as lovers/partners simply because as humans we do not understand much about a soul level relationship.
    I know this first hand as i met someone whom i had an instant connection,because we were male/female we both assumed it was attraction,yes it was attraction but not sexual,in no way at all did i "fancy" this person,yet i was inundated in my mind about them,morning,noon and night,as were they about me,i may point out i am in a 10 year relatyionship with kids mortgage the whole lot so when this came about it was a shock.
    However,we both learned how our relationship works....on a soul level as its meant to be,we are very strong friends but could never be lovers,it just wouldnt be enough...so thats how i see it all.
    Most of my thoughts are feelings,nothing concrete ,nothing evidential as proof to soul mates,but to me,they are correct feelings and make sense in my head.

Yes you can loose a lover who is a soul mate and someone you tought you would build a life with out of being careless.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yes you can loose a lover who is a soul mate and someone you tought you would build a life with out of being careless.
    Leaving apart any spiritual dimension in this, I agree that in this life we are in, yes you can absolutely lose someone you felt a soul bond with. We are human creatures after all, and human emotions mess things up sometimes.

I see that as a separate thing from truly losing a soul connection.

I do differecate between those I have a soul bond with and a soul Mate.
    Mate as in what certain animals do for life, life Mate, soul Mate.

Would a 'soulmate' still be thought of as such as and when soul growth has been attained? Unless the 'soulmate' simultaneously, or nearly so, achieved balancing growth in the same direction, would there now be a gap in the formerly watertight bond?

I suppose a deep recognition by soulmates may be part of the situation, or is the general idea still slightly out of reach?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Sandy2004

I believe we have many, for different reasons...

A reason, a season, or a lifetime

A Reason, A Season Or A Lifetime

People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. When you figure out which one it is, you will know what to do for each person.

When someone is in your life for a REASON, it is usually to meet a need you have expressed. They have come to assist you through a difficulty, to provide you with guidance and support, to aid you physically, emotionally, or spiritually. They may seem like a god-send, and they are! They are there for the reason you need them to be. Then, without any wrong doing on your part, or at an inconvenient time, this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end. Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away. Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand. What we must realize is that our need has been met, your desire fulfilled, their work is done. The prayer you sent up has been answered, and now it is time to move on.

When people come into your life for a SEASON, it is because your turn has come to share, grow, or learn. They bring you an experience of peace, or make you laugh. They may teach you something you have never done. They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy. Believe it! It is real—but, only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons, things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation. Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person, and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life. It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant..............................

Advertisement