Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bypass criteria

Options
  • 22-02-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭

i was just wondering how do the NRA decide what roads to upgrade/improve/bypasses,what is the criteria they look for-amount of traffic on the road,where the road connects,safety issues(bypass towns/villages).the reason im asking is for the last few months i have been travelling from co galway to co longford for work and for most parts of the journey the roads are unbelievably bad.there is one place called killashee there is a bend in the middle of the village(its more of a U turn) and a couple of hundred yards further down the road there is a bridge where u can barely meet on coming traffic.most of the journey the road is narrow, bumpy and very windy and from my experience the road is very busy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

yabadabado wrote: »
    i was just wondering how do the NRA decide what roads to upgrade/improve/bypasses,what is the criteria they look for-amount of traffic on the road,where the road connects,safety issues(bypass towns/villages).the reason im asking is for the last few months i have been travelling from co galway to co longford for work and for most parts of the journey the roads are unbelievably bad.there is one place called killashee there is a bend in the middle of the village(its more of a U turn) and a couple of hundred yards further down the road there is a bridge where u can barely meet on coming traffic.most of the journey the road is narrow, bumpy and very windy and from my experience the road is very busy.

I think Killashee is on the N63 from Longford to Roscommon (and on to Galway). This route does not serve a heavily populated area for the most part, and it's only a national secondary route. The NRA has prioritised route development as follows:

1) Inter-urbans - M1, M4/M6, M7, M8 and M9;
    2) Atlantic Corridor - N13, N14, N15, N17, N18, N20 and N25;
    3) Strategic Routes - N2-N5, N11, N16, N21-N24, N26, N30

Some national secondary routes (such as the N52 and N80) are targeted for lesser improvement works, but the N63 is generally ignored by Transport 21, as is the N60.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yeah i was thinking it had to do with the type of road it was and the area is not heavily populated but the road is very busy.i was only using kilashee as an example coz i pass thru the area but im sure there is a huge amount of roads like that all around the country where spending some money ,not a huge amount would make a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

im sure there is a huge amount of roads like that all around the country where spending some money ,not a huge amount would make a big difference

Isn't that what County Council budgets are supposed to address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

yeah i was thinking it had to do with the type of road it was and the area is not heavily populated but the road is very busy.i was only using kilashee as an example coz i pass thru the area but im sure there is a huge amount of roads like that all around the country where spending some money ,not a huge amount would make a big difference

Thats just local dropping the kids off at school and shopping, keep the money in the pale, we need it more than you....

Sure why dont ya get onto the local council , kick off by lobbying your local TD, put them under pressure as Jack sed to say........

Advertisement