Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run asp on windows xp home

Options
  • 22-02-2008 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

Id like to try learning asp.
    The problem is I have windows xp home edition and it won't run iis or pws.

So I need to find a way to run asp on windows xp home and can't find any way of doing it so far.

How could it be done?

Whoops sorry guys I just found something Baby web server.
    I'll give that a go.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Do you mean classic ASP, or ASP.Net, if you're doing ASP.Net with Visual Web Developer (free download), it has it's own built in web server you can use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Am I missing something but don't you just install IIs from the XP CD? Even when you install Visual Studio for ASP. Net IIs is a prerequisite along with the framework etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭dzy

BostonB wrote: »
    Am I missing something but don't you just install IIs from the XP CD? Even when you install Visual Studio for ASP. Net IIs is a prerequisite along with the framework etc.

Thats the problem. IIS doesn't come with Home edition of XP. However, the latest versions of Visual Studio .NET (including the free web developer one) come with a web server. You don't need IIS.

Ah didn't realise that about XP Home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peterdoherty

install visual web developer express edition. afaik it still runs 'classical' asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There is a way to get IIS on XP Home (you'll need the XP Pro CD I think), but it's completely unsupported, so you do it at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

IIRC XP Home came with personal web server or something like that and it does support classic asp.

For asp.net go with the above suggestions.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    IIRC XP Home came with personal web server or something like that and it does support classic asp.

For asp.net go with the above suggestions.

I think PWS was dropped altogether, and only XP Pro came with the option of installing IIS.

Here's what another site said was the official line from MS:

"Windows XP Home Edition does not include or support any versions (1.0, 2.0, 4.0) of Microsoft Personal Web Server (PWS). Users that need Web server functionality in a desktop operating system should use Windows XP Professional."

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

correct PWS came with 98 then win2k and only supported a max of either 5 or 10 simultaneous connections

If you extract the two IIS dll's from a win 2k disk into the xp windows/system32 IIS will show up as PWS (IIS 5) in XP, but if you extract them from a XP Pro or similar disc it comes up as normal IIS6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 greentoymonkey

Lads im doing a project in college and was told to use this baby web server. that the bottom of my priorities though. it doesnt seem to like me connecting my data base(SQL server express edition) to dreamweaver 8.

Any tips? Obv I needs the web server up and running before I can use asp which needs to be done before i can connect the database but i think, i think now, i have that right so any tips about the database?!

• Advertisement

Lads im doing a project in college and was told to use this baby web server. that the bottom of my priorities though. it doesnt seem to like me connecting my data base(SQL server express edition) to dreamweaver 8.

Any tips? Obv I needs the web server up and running before I can use asp which needs to be done before i can connect the database but i think, i think now, i have that right so any tips about the database?!
    Start slowly.

Make sure the webserver is running correctly. Create a file in the webroot with the following
    <&#37; Response.Write(Now())%>

and browse to it.

If the page displays the current date then try connecting to your database. This is off the top of my head, so could need some tweaking (I haven't done classic ASP in a while).
    <%
    set objConn = Server.CreateObject("adodb.connection")
    objConn.Open("your connection string")
    sSQL = "select * from your table"
    set objRS = objConn.Execute(sSQL)
    If not(objRS.eof) Then
        do while not(objRS.eof)
            Response.Write(objRS(0) & "<BR>")
            objRS.MoveNext
        Loop
    End If
    %>

I bet you he means ASP.NET and not ASP.

i Wish it was asp.NET!!! im coding asp and doing it through dreamweaver! Its asp vb script! :eek: loada crap...i know!!!

thanks lads!!

Ill let u know how it goes

i Wish it was asp.NET!!! im coding asp and doing it through dreamweaver! Its asp vb script! :eek: loada crap...i know!!!

thanks lads!!

Ill let u know how it goes

Sorry for being presumptuous :-) It's just on other forums people sometimes say ASP when they mean ASP.NET and I would have thought that a college syllabus would have been far more likely to have ASP.NET on it than ASP.

Good luck with it!

Are colleges ever up to date?

obviously not! how hard would it be to teach my self ASP.Net? i kina need to get a slant to my project to stick out so im guessin using a diff lang would work?!

anyway i got the server workin, I cant get the database workin now! :confused: Im guessin it a DSN on a testing server? if so, im not getting my sql express database comin up in the menu?! theres no databases actually!

On the other hand it could be using a local DSN, how do i define it properly? Ive tried this too and its saying that my database im looking for is either denying me access or it doesnt exist and i know it exists!!!!

Any ideas?!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

BostonB wrote: »
    Are colleges ever up to date?

Yes, they frequently are. And their R & D depts are often ahead of the times.

The context in which this person is learning classic asp is not known, so how can you judge?
    Maybe his module is called "A history of microsoft scripting technologies" in which case its probably perfectly valid to be studying and does not mean he, or his college are behind the times

Also, there is definitely a value in learning scripting languages such as this before moving onto more complicated programming methodologies and OO programming.

ianhobo wrote: »
    Yes, they frequently are. And their R & D depts are often ahead of the times.......

It was a general comment based on my own experience and graduates I've worked with. Sweeping generalisation on my part.

lads, forget the bickering haha! yes i learning asp vb script and no its not in conjuction with the history of it!! haha Ive done OO programming too tho but not through the web just Java programs not servlets. I wan be able to implement them by the end but no point jumpin into that gota get this **** workin 1st!

so now right, Ive got the server workin but the database either isnt accessible or it isnt there?! i duno! It givin me the option of four databases to connect to, two called local and two by the same name that i named my database?!

Any help?

so now right, Ive got the server workin but the database either isnt accessible or it isnt there?! i duno! It givin me the option of four databases to connect to, two called local and two by the same name that i named my database?!

Any help?

Try doing it through notepad, like the sample I listed above.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote: »
    <%
    set objConn = Server.CreateObject("adodb.connection")
    objConn.Open("your connection string")
    sSQL = "select * from your table"
    set objRS = objConn.Execute(sSQL)
    If not(objRS.eof) Then
        do while not(objRS.eof)
            Response.Write(objRS(0) & "<BR>")
            objRS.MoveNext
        Loop
    End If
    %>

cheers eoin ive got some of that workin. Ive got the date and time comin up on the webpage i saved but the code after that is probably perfect, just one small thing i cant figure out...could you explain what "your connection string" might be for me? i tried my database nameand the location of the server but theyre obv not right?

the following is coming up...
    Script error detected at line 5. 
    [B]Source line:[/B] objConn.Open("ALAN_EBBS/Alan Ebbs") 
    [B]Description:[/B] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

cheers eoin ive got some of that workin. Ive got the date and time comin up on the webpage i saved but the code after that is probably perfect, just one small thing i cant figure out...could you explain what "your connection string" might be for me? i tried my database nameand the location of the server but theyre obv not right?

the following is coming up...
    Script error detected at line 5. 
    [B]Source line:[/B] objConn.Open("ALAN_EBBS/Alan Ebbs") 
    [B]Description:[/B] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

Not sure about SQL Express - try here: http://www.connectionstrings.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've never used dreamweaver, does it build the connection string for you or are you just writing your own. First thing to do is check that the connection string is pointing at your SQL Server and referencing the right database.

Note that unlike Access where you just point at the database file, with SQL Server you are pointing at a server instance and specifying what database to use. The server is specified in the connection string usually using "server=xxx" or else "data source=xxx". This should be pointing to the SQL Server you have installed. xxx should be replaced with either "(localhost)" or else your computers name if you installed SQL Server as the default instance. If you just followed all of the defaults for SQL Server Express it actually installs it as an instance called sqlexpress, so you should use either "(localhost)\sqlexpress" or "machinename\sqlexpress". If you chose an instance name during setup replace "sqlexpress" with whatever you picked.

A quick way to find what instance name you have is to go to Start->Run->services.msc. Look for a service call SQL Server, if it has an instance name it will be listed there in brackets. Also check here that SQL Server is actually started.

Next check your DB name in the connection string, usually "database=xxx" or "initial catalogue=xxx".

Post up your connection string if you're still having problems.

some absolutely great advise there lads thanks very much! i have me baby webserver working and my website connecting to my database

thanks again,

duno if id be any help to use but im here if i could be!! haha:D

hey lads, quick question....

Im trying something here now so please tell me if it cant be done. i know that a stupid statement coz realistic anything can be done.

anyway, as you know im programming with asp. im doing like an online register form and i have two diff types of customers in my database. sooooo what i wanted to do was that the first, say, 4 fields will be filled in by all types of customers ok, but then when it gets specific, i just want them to choose which type of customer they plan to be i.e individual or a corporate customer.

now heres what i want to do. i want to keep the form all on one page because i shouldnt let my database dictate how my website looks so... ive been trying to set up the form so that if the "individual customer" radio button is selected that two more textfields will appear underneath the radio buttons so that customer can continue entering the details they have to. and then if a corp customer radio button is selected then i think i need 4 textfield but see i need them to have different labels on them and stuff so was just wondering if it possible?! heres how far i got!
    <%
    If RadioGroup1 = "checked" then
        <p><input type="text" name="textfield5" />
          </p>
    End If
    %>

Advertisement