Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So annoying.....

Options
  • 22-02-2008 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine was ''volunteering'' :rolleyes: at a local rescue yesterday, this rescue recieved around €20k at xmas time plus donations from the public, and yesterday they had 0 dogs and 0 cats because apparently it is ''the wrong time of year for dogs'' that's why rescues up and down the country are bursting at the seams with dog's and that's why dozens of dog's are being killed every day in pounds? argh, so irritating! :mad: I won't post the name of the rescue here but if anyone want's to know just PM me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

They can't exactly call themselves a 'rescue' can they? All they have to do is pick up the phone to the nearest County Council pound .....

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I don't understand :confused: - is the rescue waiting for people to surrender dogs to it? Or are you saying that they are putting dogs in pounds or something?

If its the first, you could always shift your volunteering role to doing some publicity for the shelter - contact the local media to ask them to encourage people to contact the shelter about strays etc.

If its the latter .... contact the funders?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

MsFifers wrote: »
    If its the latter .... contact the funders?

Thats a good idea if i've ever heard one. There are other rescues who would do much more with that money .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I fail to follow what your point is. Are you saying this rescue is so successful that they have re-homed all the dogs & cats they had, or are you saying they aren't actively seeking animals from the pound, or that this time of year sees little in the way of animals needing rescue? Please explain yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

I fail to follow what your point is. Are you saying this rescue is so successful that they have re-homed all the dogs & cats they had, or are you saying they aren't actively seeking animals from the pound, or that this time of year sees little in the way of animals needing rescue? Please explain yourself!

With the amount of dogs in pounds, on the streets, and left over or collateral from racing, there is absolutely no reason for an active animal rescue to ever be empty, let alone low on animals.

WYK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Agreed. They get paid a huge grant from the government to rescue animals and they just sit there doing practically nothing. responding to the odd cruelty call (and then usually doing nothing about it, I have reported a few things to them and now don't even bother running up the phone bill contacting them, it's a waste of time) e.g. there were horses in a field on my road, electric fenced into a small patch which had NO grass on it, and they were quite ribby, the SPCA's response was that they were being ''strip grazed'' as far as I know, horses don't "graze" mud. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Without knowing the exact circumstances of the horses and the owner you cannot know for sure if this was cruelty or kindness. Obviously if the horses condition was observed deteriorating over time that's different.
    Sometimes horses have to be severely restricted in their grazing if they are very prone to laminitis for instance. It can be just as cruel to let them have free access to grass in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Without knowing the exact circumstances of the horses and the owner you cannot know for sure if this was cruelty or kindness. Obviously if the horses condition was observed deteriorating over time that's different.
    Sometimes horses have to be severely restricted in their grazing if they are very prone to laminitis for instance. It can be just as cruel to let them have free access to grass in this case.

Well said! I've seen several horses die from "colic" as a result of being given free run on too much grass.

If this rescue centre is really empty and not doing it's job then why not name it? It's only libel if what you state is untrue.
    As for the "huge" grant - it they are getting huge grants then they are the only animal shelter who is, as money is extremely tight at any shelters I know about; with grants hardly covering 2 months feeding bills in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Wrong time of year?? What sort of bulls**t is that. Please PM me their name. And I will enquire about a dog and see if they say there are none available, perhaps you're friend misunderstood. I really hope so because it is an absolute disgrace if not. It must be a branch of the SPCA, as I don't think the government gives ANYTHING towards animal welfare in this country. (OF course I could be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I don't like seeing anywhere criticised without knowing the background behind the circumastances. It is very easy to jump to conclusions based on observation that doesn't reflect what is actually going on.

For all we know, the place has used up all it's fundingand is actually being responsible by not taking in any more animals until they have replenished the kitty.

Also it is not the job of any rescue to go out of their way to take dogs from the pound, many of them choose to and if they have an arrangement with the pound so they don't have to pay release fees then great. But, it doesn't really help in the long term with the general situation in this country for dogs. I would be very surprised however if they are not getting calls from the public looking to take in dogs, if they are turning them away then I relly hope it is a funding thing and not exploitation.

• Advertisement

The horse were owned by a farmer who has no knowlege of horse at all, I speak to him occasionally and he told me once that a horse his son had was only ''good for the factory'' because it wasn't trained properly. The horses were in poor condition and the grazing is poor anyway so there was no risk of colic,there is a risk of colic is if horses are starved and get a meal of some grain maybe once every couple of days (which was the case here)

I used to volunteer there myself and there was usually only a couple of dog's who weren't provided with bedding. My friend saw the kennels etc so she know's that they were empty.
    Also while I was there if somebody left a donation they used to spend it on their own groceries.

according to the ISPCA website this SPCA isn't connected to them so it's no used telling the ISPCA I suppose. Helena, I'll PM you the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

kerrysgold wrote: »
    The horses were in poor condition and the grazing is poor anyway so there was no risk of colic,there is a risk of colic is if horses are starved and get a meal of some grain maybe once every couple of days (which was the case here)

OT but there is *always* a risk of colic.

I know but I meant from the grazing, I typed that in a bit of a hurry lol. *cringe at typos*

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

kerrysgold wrote: »
    I used to volunteer there myself and there was usually only a couple of dog's who weren't provided with bedding. My friend saw the kennels etc so she know's that they were empty.
    Also while I was there if somebody left a donation they used to spend it on their own groceries.

according to the ISPCA website this SPCA isn't connected to them so it's no used telling the ISPCA I suppose. Helena, I'll PM you the name.

I"m sorry - but why haven't you reported this? Especially if they are using funding for their own purposes? You have a moral obligation to let the funders know. If you witness that theft - it is theft - then you are in collusion by not doing anything about it.

Any voluntary body receiving funding has to report back to the Deptartment and usually needs to provide a full set of accounts, and is often audited also. If they are a voluntary organisation, they would also usually have a Board of Director's or Management Committee. Contact them with your concerns.

Do they issue receipts to people giving donations? They should have an accounting system they can stand over - if not they wont get funded again.

The Dept of Agriculture publised a list of organisations it was funding before Christmas - have a look at their site, and find out the contact person to inform them of this.

Please do your best - there is little good in posting in an annonymous forum about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 coisaille

Not sure if this could be the same place, but around this time last year when I was looking to get a dog I rang my nearest spca and was told they had no dogs for rescue either - was pretty surprised at the time alright - maybe just a concidence but making me think now...

Advertisement