Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

camper insurance

Options
  • 22-02-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hi folks, just got my renewal quote today, it has increased by 50euro on last year I had no claims, i am with a broker and the cert is by PMPA. Who is best company to insure with, I am over 45 with full bonus and full licence.Any advice?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Try Dolmen. It's €350 for the year across the board unless you have something unusual or gigantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Richardson Insurance, Sandyford, are €320 but that's through the Motorcaravanclub group scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Rodent

Looking to buy a L300 campervan

If its not registered as a camper:eek: Who will insure it??? My insurance company have told me they won't touch it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Rodent wrote: »
    Looking to buy a L300 campervan

If its not registered as a camper:eek: Who will insure it??? My insurance company have told me they won't touch it:(

Dolmen and Richardson insurance are two that I'm aware of, If it's not registered as a motorhome then try the likes of Quinn insurances.

Compare quotes between Private and Motorhome status to see if it's worth registering as a motorhome for future savings

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

You could also try Stuarts Insurances in 17-21 Temple Road ,Blackrock, Co. Dublin on 01 - 288 1779 for a qoute. I found them good - especially on larger vehicles.

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macpete

thanks for all the replys folks,
    Looking forward to getting out on the camper again, Just gave the camper a spring clean after the winter[getting itchy feet].
    A useful tip I used {Moisture mate} and found it great for keeping the camper damp free over the winter.
    I bought it in Halfor*s around 10 euro,great product.

How about this for a catch 22

My open insurance doesn't cover campervans :eek:

I can't seem to find temporary cover to test one:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That said they'll cover me when I buy one...

Any ideas:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Rodent wrote: »
    How about this for a catch 22

My open insurance doesn't cover campervans :eek:

I can't seem to find temporary cover to test one:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That said they'll cover me when I buy one...

Any ideas:D

Call them, offer to pay 20 euro extra (administration fee :D) for the day or something.

Point been made is that they refuse to insure me the test drive a camper point blank:eek::eek::eek:

Offical line from the company, will write to them for a reason.

May problem is that I don't want to risk 5 penalty points just to drive a camper that may not be in good shape:eek::eek::eek:

Peace of mind and all that, or respect for other road users...

:(

If you are really serious about a camper get the owner to put you on their insurance for a day/weekend. It should only cost €20 or €30 to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macpete

Got in contact with Dolmen insurance and got a quote, same cover etc, 40euro cheaper.
    I rang my broker, told them the quote I got and lo and behold they can match it! Pays to shop around:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Off subject I know but it sure does pay to shop around. I got my household renewal notice last week, €635. Got a quote from Quinns, €397 and as I transferred a (not camper) motor policy and the family health insurance to them last year they gave me a further discount of €200. So, all in all a saving of €438. Not bad for the price of a phonecall.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

dolmen just gave me a quote of 330 including windscreen cover and breakdown assistance

paddyb wrote: »
    dolmen just gave me a quote of 330 including windscreen cover and breakdown assistance

I said €350 above. As you say it's €330 for all motorhomes as long as you are compliant with the conditions on the proposal form.

http://www.dolmen-insurance.ie/services/camper.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I got a quote for €330 from Dolmen for open driver insurance, but there is a €39 broker fee, so the total is €370.

When you guys are quoting prices above, are you including all the assorted fees ?

I think it is worth having open driver for the one or two times a year that I might want someone to move the van for me. Obviously someone I trust . . .

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I paid 370 exactly.

zagmund wrote: »
    I got a quote for €330 from Dolmen for open driver insurance, but there is a €39 broker fee, so the total is €370.

When you guys are quoting prices above, are you including all the assorted fees ?

I think it is worth having open driver for the one or two times a year that I might want someone to move the van for me. Obviously someone I trust . . .

z

As far as I remember it's €330 for the insurance with named drivers. It's €40 extra for the open drive. You can pay that at any time of the year if needed. Other thanthat I can't think of any other extra fees unless you have a motorhome that does not conform to the size specs. Then they quote you on a case by case basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

The insurance by Dolmen is also on some kind of group scheme.. i.e. if you make a claim it doesn't affect you directly... they just divide the total cost of the policy by the number of applicants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Patti D.

Does anyone have the phone nimber of Dolmens? Would like to get the camper open driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Dolmen phone number 01 867 2121

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

You could also try 01-8022330 if you don't get them on the other number

Advertisement