Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good word for Star Wars Galaxies

Options
  • 21-02-2008 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I just read this thread about Star Wars Galaxies:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231127

Over the time i have played SWG i have heard alot of bad things about it. "Pre-Nge was better"..."they messed up the game in 05"..

I dont care! i dont want to hear about something that was good but i cant play it now! i dont care that the game was "ruined" in '05, i dont wanna be told that the game i love is "worse now than it used to be."

You need to give Star Wars Galaxies another chance!!

It is a brilliant game! Ok so maybe people who worked hard for months to collect hollocrons and complete mind numing quests for hours on end to become a jedi have a right to bitch about what was their pride and joy.
    But all you other ****ers who just go on and on about pre-nge sicken me! Especially those who secretly dont really care that much!

So many people refuse to play the new SWG because they feel like they are betraying the people who they told not to play it! Not because they actually believe that it isnt worth playing! And all you other people who keep saying it was better before the updates in '05 but actually prefer the game today. Dont just say that **** because you want to sound like a hardcore gamer! you just look like a dick to me.

Play the 14-day trial and you will see that over time it has improved. i have played the pre-nge version. Im not saying it wasnt amazing when it came out, nor am i saying it wasnt fun. I also understand that in '05 the fun of the game was deminished somewhat by making it easier to become a jedi. However i believe if you play the game now, start a fresh, make a new character in a new galaxy you will see taht it has improved.
    The game is probably better than ever. I cant stop playing it!

You will be pleasantly suprised at the awsomeness with which the new SWG is rich. Give it another go.

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/ (Just click the picture of R2-D2 in the bottom left)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I never played Pre-NGE or CCU or whatever it is or was called, I did play Star Wars in its current form, as my brother got heavily into it. Now, speaking from someone who has played pretty much every MMO out there, I did not like the game. It was no Matrix Online but it wasnt far off.

If you enjoy it, fine, but dont go on some holier than thou rant just because people dont like your favourite game.

Most people are pretty adamant that the old version of the game was vastly superior to the game as it stands now. The droves of players who left when they introduced the changes would tend to support this. But I cannot really comment on that. What I can comment on is the fact that, the game as it is now, sucks... really, really hard.

And I really dont think this warranted its own thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Iammwa

Im not upset because people dont like it, Im annoyed that people talk about how the old game was far superior when they havn't tried the current version.

If people would try SWG again you would see that it is a great game in its own right. Just imagine it is nothing to do with the origional and play it as the game it is now.

You are entitled to your opinion Ivan and I understand you don't like it, thats fair enough. What isnt fair enough is that some people dont know what the game is like today yet they go on about how it doesnt compare to the old version.

Just so everyone knows, I didnt just read one thread about the "superiority of Pre-Nge" My rant was the result of hundreds of threads on the subject where current players of the game get booed and shunned and not taken seriously because fans of pre-nge think that they are hardcore and that the opinions of fans of the current game are invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

No one should ever play SWG or any other game made/managed/owned by SOE. They are the scum of the earth as far as I am concerned and their treatment of their customers from day 1 has been abhorant. If customers don't hold these companies to account then they will never change their behaviour. The SWG player base has made an example out of SOE and hopefully other MMO companies will learn from this.

I will never play an SOE game again and will reccomend the same to all my friends.

P.S. SoE pissed me off long before this combat upgrade/NGE nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 scorps101

Im amazed by the amount of swg threds i have read since i joined these forums, really tought no1 carred anymore.

for Iammwa, yes its true if you picked this game up and were oblivious of the changes you would prob find this game somewhat good, but far inferior to the likes of wow.

If you played from the begining then its very hard to adapt to the changes and some people like myself just couldnt take it.

swg was one of the first real mmorpgs it was years ahead of the competion, the combat was brilliant, the economy, community ect, never had a bad word about it...(well soe) server stabilty was a problem..even with daily shutdowns.

All i will say is this, if they reset the servers to 2005 hundreads of 1000s of people would go back playing, and the people playing now would prob say..damm this game rocks, nothing beat the feeling(ingame) of after months/years unlocking your jedi, making your first saber, completing your template and constantly watching the map for that bounty hunter(s), i got mine by grinding out all the proffessions finnaly got the message on screen, spent months solo grinding on endor, had fun for a while then all downhill, all your work gone down the drain a kick in the @ss and the ability to turn blue.

the compensation just didnt cut it, can remember running around with combat medic/doctor friends, tk masters, swordsmen/riflemen and destroying citys, when the nge came in what could i do? turn blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Hummmm id like to try out http://www.swgemu.com/

But im missing disc 1 of my SWG game for installing, and i used to have two copies as id have two accounts going on the one server ;(

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    Hummmm id like to try out http://www.swgemu.com/

I have tried swgemu. Its not like the pre-nge. You can train your character with no effort, its no challenge and you cant do missions. If you wanna just battle its ok I guess but it was very disappointing. That was probably because I was told it was just like pre-nge but free.

Try it and see what you think. :)

Memnoch wrote: »

P.S. SoE pissed me off long before this combat upgrade/NGE nonsense

I find SOE to be very helpful and quick to respond but this could be because so many people have stopped playing the game. I guess its one of the few benefits of the game being less popular than before. :rolleyes:

P.S. I feel much better about the whole pre-nge thing and i am sorry if i insulted anyone. I didnt mean to rant like that, but i do mean what I said. (maybe not as dramatically as it appeared) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

the emu isnt finished yet,
    if you download it now, your basically jsut a tester for them.

the training your character, and picking your template, is all part of their tests.

and yeas its gona be free when its finally done.
    well thats if SOE dont get it banned before its out.

and if you want, you can download the trial version of SWG, [it will take ages]
    but its as good as having the disc for the game. you will then be able to play emu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Pre-cu 4tw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Holsten wrote: »
    Pre-cu 4tw.

Including all of the horrendous bugs that came with it?

I don't deny that pre-cu has its pros. It had quite a few pros. It also had quite a few cons, which a lot of people conveniently 'forget' when they gaze through their rose-tinted glasses.

• Advertisement

I hated Pre NGE i remember meeting people who had been playing for 4 months and they were a hair dresser. I thought this was just stupid. It was also difficult to get a vehicle , things moved very slowly . When you can only play a few hours a week, there was not point paying the 14 quid a month.

Now you can just get into it and have great fun. Although the server i am on is dying but i am in a great guild. I would love to move servers .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I played it a few months ago. I then ripped out my eyes and uninstalled it.

I don't care about all this patch controversy, its a hideous, dull game.

Zillah wrote: »
    I played it a few months ago. I then ripped out my eyes and uninstalled it.

I don't care about all this patch controversy, its a hideous, dull game.

Great insight into the game there .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

WoW talk about rubbing salt into old wounds!! I had no idea my seemingly unimportant question would start up a flame war about SWG. Im the original poster of the thread linked at the top and i had no idea NGE caused so much hurt amongst MMO fans!!

I have actually downloaded the 14 day trial and i've set it up just need to regiester and give it a go! I'll hopefully play it tonight. I havent played the original SGW back in the 90's i wasnt here pre NGE so i will give you an honest and fair post tomorrow of what i think of SWG.

I've played my fair share of MMO's and im a big geeky star wards fan so im hoping the game will be good. still i'll post back tomorrow and tell you all from an average gamers point of view what the game is like.

see lammwma im giving it a chance

well im now 2 and a half hours plus and im still not after playing the game yet!!
    after downloading the 2 X 2GB files from SWG.com extracting them, installing the game, regestering and patching the game im still not after playing any of it yet!!

all this for a lousy 14 day trial!

i still have my hopes up for the game but im giving up for tonight i'll try it again tomorrow evening when i have more time after work! i have 90% of stuff done but sofar no joy with playing!!

So

I downloaded the 14 days trial (all 4 GIG of it)
    I Installed it
    I updated the station login thing
    I patched the game

and 3 hours later i got to play SWG.

Before i continue i'd like to point out that i haven't ever played SWG before i had some notion of this NGE thing but i went into playing this game with an open mind as a star wars fan. The overall opinion is simply this. Its an enjoyable game to play ...... for the first few hours of gameplay but after a while the minor bugs i noticed in the game started to get on my nerves. I actually enjoyed playing the game the intro/tutorial level is simply a little bit of fun and to walk around the falcon and shoot at TIE fighters was great fun.

You arrive at newbie station for a basic grindfest which to be honest i didnt mind at all I play allot of WoW at the moment so the grinding i didnt mind at all. on the whole this zone was enjoyable to play my only grip really is that you dont feel like your in the starwars universe unless you take a trip to the canteena to talk to boba fett or cargo bay 1 to talk to han solo. by and large the majority of the zone is just another space station.

After finishing all the missions i could i got to CL 9 and headed for mos eisley. again with started the grindfest and thats where i pretty much left it and i havent really gone back to it. I tried several of the character classes out all of which were fun to play and when you do FINALLY get to mos eilsey you really do feel like your in the thick of the SW universe.

It was fun to walk around the locations in mos eisley and i have a feeling had i kept going i was going to be called to work for jabba the hutt. but what i really found to be annoying really only boils down to 3 things (and this really is just nit picking as their monior issues but on the whole ruined the experience)

UI and the HUD
    Space Ships
    AI and combat

the UI and the HUD.
    Is it just me or is the mouse cursor in the game as unresponsive as a jawa. I tried the game on 2 machines just to be sure but the mouse cursor (and within the game) was either sluggish and jittery or just plain way too fast. which means cycling through options and my inventory took minute after painstaking minute. the HUD isnt the best designed in the world either. lack of options and customization.

Space ships
    Really REALLY bugged me here. id say if i had a joystick it would have been a better experience (again the mouse jittering didnt help) the slightest nudge of my mouse sent my ship off spinning through space with no control. when piloting my ship i had to use the slightest of sligh mouse movements to steer the ship anything more sent my ship spinning out of control. Space flight and combat seems like their solid enough but it seems like it was made for people who own joysticks

[before anyone asks yes i had the mouse sensitivity turned all the way down in the options menu]

AI and combat
    This is the one that really annoyed me the most and to be honest the main reason why i stopped playing. Combat is the most puzzling aspect of the game that i cant seem to get my head around. while i get the pause between blaster shots (i assume its like weapon speed in WoW) what i dont get is when do i initiate comabat with an enemy (im sorry to use another wowism but what im talking about is the mob aggro range)

I can run by most mobs and they dont seem to attack me. for example i had a mission to sneak into a base and find some guy) i was able to run (and i mean just boot it) as fast as i could past every single enemy mob in the base without aggro'ing anyone until i got to the room where the target was. I got to the room killed the mobs in the room got the info i needed and ran back out again. something is definatly wrong there. the only time i seem to aggro any mobs is when im near them and then stand still for about 2-3 seconds (i tested this a few times and it seems to be the case everyime)

which means most of my non grind missions can simply be resolve by running as fast as you can past all the bad guys in your way without ever worrying about engaging in combat.

go figure......

Its not a bad game by any means. its not matrix online bad but it does have some faults in the game that I've mentioned above that in its current state i wouldnt play the game (espically if i had to pay) if it were a free to play game id consider playing it again but when im putting 20 or 30 quid a time into the game i expect the game to be at least (most of the time) bug free.

Im not slamming the game by any means, i actually enjoyed it but with the points ive listed above i wouldnt play the game myself because the obvious faults in the game ruined my gaming experience of it.

So we'll wait and see a few more patch levels and if they can fix the above problems in the game then i'd definatly return and play it again. but for the moment im staying clear of the game.

Thats just the way i see it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Its funny how the 3 issues you describe as being big problems stopping you from playing the game, are basically the sum and total of an MMO. The only other thing you could have had a problem with was the actual interpretation and development of the intellectual property... which from your review, it sounds like you didnt enjoy either ;)

Also, referring to the starting levels as a grind is a bad start. Grinding is meant to come much later, the first few levels should be very fun and involving. You should be running around admiring the scenary, the new powers and be interested in the quests/storyline. Anything else is an MMO-Fail. Something SOE seems to dish out in spades ;)

My thoughts exactly Ivan, I will say this though the very first level is actually really enjoyable its very entertaining and throws you head first into the action, the storyline is quite good too. though it really only takes 3 to 4 mins to complete the first mission and after that is where it gets a little disappointing. You are whisked away to newbie station where 75% of the missions are simply a grind fest it looks like the space station could be from anywhere in any sci fi universe out there. The only difference is the all too familar canteena jingle playing when you enter the space stations cantenna.

while there are iconic characters such as boba fett, R2D2 and Han Solo on the same station as you i found it very hard to be believable since the game is set between episodes IV and V that means if han solo and boba fett really were on the same space station all hell would break loose since there is still a bounty on hans head.

I actually did enjoy the content once i got off the newbie station, the content of the game is really quite good and that was the only thing really keeping me playing. Actually being in the starwars universe kept me sufficently geekified for a time. unfortunatly the novelity wears off and then you realize once you move out of the heavily populated areas you have to go back to doing the missions and you then realise how bugged the game really is.

Id love to play this game again it has some serious potential to be a good MMO its just the 3 points i listed the bugs in them are small after 3 or 4 hours playing the game you do tend to notice them and it does tend to ruin your enjoyment a little. I know the developers are trying to bug patch various things about the game so as i said we'll wait and see i'll give it 6 months or so wait for a few more patches to come out and i'll try galaxies again if they've fixed the above issues my money is theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

First off, Sorry if anyone takes this up wrong,

Right, Its clear to me that some of you have never played Pre-NGE or for a limited time only, I beta tested the game all them years ago, It was the first MMO i ever got hocked on and i mean HOOCK on, Its sad when i think about it now But i would play 18/20 Hours a day, Sometimes i would go 50 hours without sleep, But back then you HAD to work for everything

It was the first game that personal skilled ment anything, If you wanted something you had to work your A$$ off to get it,

When the game was Launched i played on EU-Farstar. I was one of the first to unlock jedi ( To this day i hate polarms ) I quit playing once i mastered. No point playing, Was fun for a while turning up in town taking my sabor out and see EVERYONE running over to me, " Its a jedi loook its a jedi woot "

Game got boring once i mastered because no one could touch me never mind kill me, Bounty Hunters coming after me 10 times a day lol was so funny, Anyways back on topic,

I came back to the game about a year ago and Fcuk me i played for 5 mins and stopped, I was in shock. The game was Level based like the rest of the mmos, in any case i gave it another try a few months ago leveled a spy was really good fun, yes the game is nothing like the way it was but its still a good game, As we speaking i am topping up my account :D

Sorry for long post got stuck in the moment,

Its not the game it was, Its different but still a good game worth giving a go,

PS:: WoW is overrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The only question that matters to me, and I suspect millions of other potentials SWG players is; is it better than World of Warcraft? If not, then I won't be bothering with it. I barely have enough time for WoW, and wouldn't be able to devote time to what may be an inferior game.

• Advertisement

The only question that matters to me, and I suspect millions of other potentials SWG players is; is it better than World of Warcraft? If not, then I won't be bothering with it. I barely have enough time for WoW, and wouldn't be able to devote time to what may be an inferior game.

It depends what you mean by " Better "

Its harder, Its got alot more going for it, Alot more to do at end game then WoW,

Give it a try, Download the 14 day trial

Im not disagreeing with you at all in fact i encourage anyone and everyone to give it a go after all you can download the 14 day trail free of charge and play the full game (space combat included) then make up your own mind. I did. Its a very good community with allot of helpful players.

Im not even going to get into the WoW topic with you, Thats down to your own point of view and its not relevant to this topic. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions and thats fair.

As I've mentioned before I've never played the game Pre NGE so i dont care in the slightest what the game was like before the NGE. I'm never going to get the chance to play PRE NGE. The past is the past

My post above is simply my view of the game as your average Joe who's never played starwars before i agree with you 100% the game is allot of fun to play and actually being in the star wars universe really geeked me out. But do you agree or disargee that the game could possibly be at this very moment a teeny tiny bit bugged? re read my post above see the points I've listed. I tried galaxies on 2 different PC's and while the results were slightly different on both PC's (one is a high end spec PC the other is not) the same 3 things kept happening while i was playing SWG.

'AL wrote:
    [EN;55322653']Im not disagreeing with you at all in fact i encourage anyone and everyone to give it a go after all you can download the 14 day trail free of charge and play the full game (space combat included) then make up your own mind. I did. Its a very good community with allot of helpful players.

Im not even going to get into the WoW topic with you, Thats down to your own point of view and its not relevant to this topic. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions and thats fair.

As I've mentioned before I've never played the game Pre NGE so i dont care in the slightest what the game was like before the NGE. I'm never going to get the chance to play PRE NGE. The past is the past

My post above is simply my view of the game as your average Joe who's never played starwars before i agree with you 100% the game is allot of fun to play and actually being in the star wars universe really geeked me out. But do you agree or disargee that the game could possibly be at this very moment a teeny tiny bit bugged? re read my post above see the points I've listed. I tried galaxies on 2 different PC's and while the results were slightly different on both PC's (one is a high end spec PC the other is not) the same 3 things kept happening while i was playing SWG.

The game has always been Bugged, From closed beta till today, The game has always been a buggy game, But its still one of the best MMOs EVER!

yes it may not look at good as World of warcraft or some other MMOs

But i can tell you now, I have been testing MMOs for over 8 year from the days of Legend of Mir i have Tested/Played Every major MMO out todate, And there has only been two that kept me up at night,

World of warcraft and SWG,

imho SWG wipes the floor with WoW on so many levels but thats imo

I could go on and on about what makes SWG better then WoW but as stated get the 14 day FREE trial, Go see for yourself

Blazher wrote: »
    I could go on and on about what makes SWG better then WoW but as stated get the 14 day FREE trial, Go see for yourself

I did, check the previous page my post is what i thought of the game after playing the 14 day trial as a completely new player. In fact im still within the 14 days of my trial. And i will continue to keep playing SWG until the 14 days is up (cos im actually having allot of fun playing the game) but will i subscribe? no definatly no, not yet anyway. not while the game is buggy. If they patch the game up to a level where the problems i have with the game are resolved. Id definatly pick SWG over WoW. but for now im content to play WoW (and pirates).

I would say to super_furry what Blazher said to you. Download the 14 day free trail and see what you think. SWG will not be for everyone. and there is no definitive answer to which game is better WoW or SWG.

WoW fans will tell you WoW is better than SWG
    SWG fans will tell you SWG is better than WoW

Im a WoW Fan. Blazher is a SWG fan we could both argue to were bule in the face as to which game is better. The simple fact is their both very good games they just appeal to different types of players.

The only way you'll ever really know is try them both and see what you think. dont let a few negative comments about a game put you off from trying it. Just because i didnt enjoy the game fully doesnt mean you wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Blazher wrote: »
    When the game was Launched i played on EU-Farstar. I was one of the first to unlock jedi

dont mind me asking who you were/are?

farstar has been my main server for quite a long time, and knew quite a few of the original jedi there. My main characters there are Reven and Rahalius

Advertisement