Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

optical out and PS3

Options
  • 21-02-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Wasnt sure wether to post this in PS3 thread or audio so here goes.
    Have a ps3 connected to 42" philips LCD via HDMI so can only get sound through the TV speakers. I also have a philips DVD system with tuner and cd etc.
    I bought an optical toslink cable and assumed I could just plug that into the ps3 optical and the optical on my dvd system. I can't seem to get sound from it, I am not sure what to leave the system on to get the sound?
    I also have some devices setup using Auxillary so simply press Aux 1 or 2 on the remote.
    What do I press to get the optical working?
    I also just read somewhere that HDMI and optical don't work together.
    Can anyone help me?
    Thanks
    Sham.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Just something simple to suggest ,have you chosen optical as your output for sound on the ps3 ?

It only outputs to one of Av-multi/hdmi/optical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

yeah, when i choose optical I can't hear any sound but when I choose hdmi (as the sound output) I can hear the sound through the TV speakers.
    Cheers for the reply.

Some systems can't decode by toslink ,the optical is used for output only.

The ps3 definetly outputs by optical with hdmi as video ,thats the way I use the ps3.

I double checked to find a system that doesn't decode ,

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333670&view=detailed#ProductTabs

You'll notice in the specs ,the toslink is for output only. Many systems are like this and it's a bit misleading to be honest:(

Feeling a bit dumb today.
    On further inspection of my dvd system I realise that the opitcal is only optical out for the DVD player. The only options I have for inputs are Aux, Scart and coaxial. So I reckon I am screwed as far as the PS3 goes. I did see an digital optical to coaxial convertor box thingy but its 40 euro.
    Any other suggestions from anyone.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

You could use the AV-MULTI cable that came with the PS3 and connect it into the AUX.
    I presume your auxilary is an rca input ,the red and white connections.

You can use the av-multi audio with Hdmi.

SO I could use the HDMI for picture and use the AV Multi for sound through the AUX of the DVD system?
    Not sure if I got the AV Lead but think I have one off my ps2.
    I found another optical to coaxial converter on ebay for 20 euro, I assume that would work or would it be a waste considering I don't have 5.1 system.
    Thanks for the advice by the way.

Stick with the AV-Multi cable for the moment ,it's not going to cost you anything and it's a start.
    The ps2 cable is the same as the ps3 ,as far as i know.

Your system might have some sort of effect ,that will make gaming sound more than stereo.

Advertisement