Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone ireland email to sms??

Options
  • 21-02-2008 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

hi folks does anyone know if vodafone ireland has the email to text service

ie in the past they had it when they were eircell ,
    like eg 087xxxxxxx@e-merge.ie if you sent an email to this where xxx was the mobile number, then the msg was sent on as a text to the phone..

i know eircell/vodafone used to have this service...

does anyone know if vodafone still have this or any irish operators?

basically what i have is a remote satellite terminal, that uplinks to the satellite network and sends up data, which is then sent on in an email from the satellite network. i want to get the email sent on as a text to a mobile, is this possible? and whats the best way to do it..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Meteor have it.
    0851234567@sms.mymeteor.ie
    This does not show the whole email but you get who it's from, the subject and then the start of the email message.

Vodafone/O2/3 don't have it as you describe.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

you can get people to email your vodafone address (which you set up through there website) and then get it to notify you when you recieve a mail - basically you geta text when you geta email with the senders name but no other details. i use this for my gmail (gmail forward to vodafone and vodafone text me when i get a mail :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

splinter wrote: »
    you can get people to email your vodafone address (which you set up through there website) and then get it to notify you when you recieve a mail - basically you geta text when you geta email with the senders name but no other details. i use this for my gmail (gmail forward to vodafone and vodafone text me when i get a mail :) )
    i have the sms notification of new messages, just tells u who its from and the subject.
    i need to get the first 1 or two lines of the email which contain gps coordinates, and a brief message.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

what_car wrote: »

like eg 087xxxxxxx@e-merge.ie if you sent an email to this where xxx was the mobile number, then the msg was sent on as a text to the phone..

basically what i have is a remote satellite terminal, that uplinks to the satellite network and sends up data, which is then sent on in an email from the satellite network. i want to get the email sent on as a text to a mobile, is this possible? and whats the best way to do it..

No they pretty much stopped all of their legacy eircell services about 3 years ago so you wont be able to do it. Now you can try calling customer care, but chances of them remembering e-merge are next ti nil i would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

does this: 0851234567@sms.mymeteor.ie still work?

I switched from Voda and it won't work with my 087 number...

Final-Recipient: rfc822; 087XXXXXXX@sms.mymeteor.ie Action: Failed Status: 5.3.0 (other or undefined mail system status) Remote-MTA: dns; 10.105.20.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

They don't allow this any more here (in Europe). Only place that still does it is the U.S./Canada.

For here the only way (reliably) is to build your own router. Basically you need an app on a server to open and read the emails forwarded to it and then send them on the the mobile using a bulk sms gateway.

what_car wrote: »

number@mms.mymeteor.ie should still work for you. Not as good as the sms one but it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Random wrote: »
    number@mms.mymeteor.ie should still work for you. Not as good as the sms one but it does the job.

This will display the message with plain text, but if the e-mail is in rich text most phones won't display it. It's also worth remembering that it should be in the format 3538????????@mms.mymeteor.ie

Adro947 wrote: »
    This will display the message with plain text, but if the e-mail is in rich text most phones won't display it. It's also worth remembering that it should be in the format 3538????????@mms.mymeteor.ie
    It doesn't have to be in 353 format. I've used it successfully today with 085 format.

Plain text is a valid point though. Forgot to mention that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Random wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be in 353 format. I've used it successfully today with 085 format.

Plain text is a valid point though. Forgot to mention that.

Plain text isnt 100% necessary. Most s60 phones will receive the HTML as an attachment. You can save the attachment and either:
    1. Append .htm to the file name and itll open in the phone browser or
    2. Open with Y-Browser's text editor directly.

The main issue I have is that any email over 200KB isnt forward at all.

• Advertisement

mathew wrote: »
    Plain text isnt 100% necessary. Most s60 phones will receive the HTML as an attachment. You can save the attachment and either:
    1. Append .htm to the file name and itll open in the phone browser or
    2. Open with Y-Browser's text editor directly.

The main issue I have is that any email over 200KB isnt forward at all.
    Plain text just makes things nicer though. HTML is horrible on the Nokia n95 anyway. Too much hassle.

Thanks a million! number@mms.mymeteor.ie works! It's a pity it's MMS however; if anyone can figure the SMS I would be hugely grateful also :D:D:D

For me its only really to see who it's from a line from the message. Vodafone have SMS and I missed it when I switched to meteor! I am signed up for their mymail beta (I think its a J2ME app with reduced cost for email); so hopefully that'll start soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Thanks a million! number@mms.mymeteor.ie works! It's a pity it's MMS however; if anyone can figure the SMS I would be hugely grateful also :D:D:D

For me its only really to see who it's from a line from the message. Vodafone have SMS and I missed it when I switched to meteor! I am signed up for their mymail beta (I think its a J2ME app with reduced cost for email); so hopefully that'll start soon...

dont think there'll be any 'working out' SMS. They used to provide the service, but they dont any more...

mathew wrote: »
    dont think there'll be any 'working out' SMS. They used to provide the service, but they dont any more...
    Strange because you think MMS would be more costly: I was able to recieve a picture over MMS using the Email > MMS Gateway. Text should be cheaper as this isn't possible? What I meant about figuring it out is that they could have changed the address or address format you send it to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Simius Puer

I don't suppose anyone has any updated information on this? I'm specifically looking for the email to sms gateway for Vodafone (in Ireland) if possible. The one for the UK works fine, but I can't find the details for here.

Their own support team are hopeless and the nearest web page Vodaphone have on their website refers to IE6 as the "latest browser from MS"!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Meteor are still the only ones doing this.

O2 do offer a paid service for emails, think its 25cent for each alert you get. You can spec which contacts, or subjects you want to get an alert for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pjmw

Any chance that Vodafone Ireland has re-introduced this service?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Or tesco mobile ????

Advertisement