Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney Swans Thread

Options
  • 21-02-2008 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

seen as the eagles have one!
    bad start to season

from www.sydneyswans.com.au

Malceski likely to miss season

NICK Malceski's season may be over after coach Paul Roos confirmed the Swans playmaker had ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament during Sunday's NAB Cup loss to Hawthorn in Launceston.

“It looks like [an ACL injury], the doctors are pretty certain,” Roos said shortly after the match.

“It’s obviously disappointing for him and it’s an emotional [time] because you’ve spent the whole pre-season trying training and then you do it. It looks like he’ll be out for a little while.”

Malceski, 23, went to ground just outside the Swans’ defensive 50 two minutes into the third term.

His right knee buckled under him as he looked to change direction and give off a pass.

“It was more of a twisting motion more than anything else,” Roos said. "I think if it’s any consolation to anyone, there’s not much you can do about it.

“It happens. It’s happened to other players and it’s really unfortunate for the kid more than anything else. You can talk about structures and all those things, but it’s more unfortunate for Mal as a player.

“He’s a good guy and you love to see blokes playing. You don’t like to see [Kangaroos forward] Nathan Thompson do it last year and [Adelaide ruckman] Rhett Biglands did his again. You hate seeing that just for the player, rather than anything to do with the club or structures or things like that.

“It’s hard to talk to guys after they’ve just done it. You just pat them on the back and there’s not much more you can do.”

Malceski had his left knee reconstructed in 2002, fighting back to become one of his side’s most important players.

He impressed last year in the defensive playmaker role left vacant by the long-term injury to Tadhg Kennelly.

“I think it shows you how important Marty Mattner coming across the line was,” Roos said, after the former Crow looked poised in a similar role on Sunday.

“Last year we only really had Mal [in that role]. At least this year we’re going to have Tadhg and Mattner. It just means that that trade has become an even more important trade than what we thought it was at the time.”

Malceski will undergo scans in Sydney to confirm the club's diagnosis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

yeah he'll be a big loss to the swans. Really had his breakout year last year, due in no part to Kennelly being out injured. Would have been good to see the pair of them getting a full season together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I suppose I go for the Swans.

First team I really got into over there, seeing as I lived in Sydney, got there at Finals time in 2005, when they won the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

that final was some laugh . watched it in the pub at home(the one where the aussie tv crew was in) they had a big Irish flag sectioning off half the bar, anyone that was too drunk was put behind the flag so they wudnt be seen on tv:D

went to most of the home games the year i was there.lucky id a friend who could get good tickets there;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

ah the Swans

*sings*

you're Scum, and ya know ya are,yer scum and ye know ye are.................

*gets hoarse*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

ah the Swans

*sings*

*gets hoarse*

+1

I hope this isn't gonna be like the soccer forum. If it is me and Mahatma will see yas in about a week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

dunno, never been to the soccer forum, tis a silly game, y's have hands ye know:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ah the Swans

*sings*

*gets hoarse*
    +1

I hope this isn't gonna be like the soccer forum. If it is me and Mahatma will see yas in about a week or so.

Jays we can't go bannin posters. There'd be no one left. If it's a direct insult then there may be action but once it's in jest I'm down with it.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Jays we can't go bannin posters. There'd be no one left. If it's a direct insult then there may be action but once it's in jest I'm down with it.

You are a Scumbag.

Go on. Ban me. :D

DesF wrote: »
    You are a Scumbag.

Go on. Ban me. :D

Alright, what the hell. Scumbag, knacker, dirtbird, prick, cheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

back over to the eagles thread with talk like that:p
    anyway
    sydneyswans_wideweb__430x303.jpg

• Advertisement

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=289531
    Swans star Tadhg Kennelly has insisted coach Paul Roos has been harshly treated over his "joke" and declared his AFL club's players were too competitive to seriously contemplate throwing a game.

Roos on Wednesday fronted an AFL investigation in Melbourne where he was questioned about his alleged comment to Sydney player Jarrad McVeigh about not kicking a goal.

Kennelly, who has been at the club throughout Roos's tenure, said his coach liked to joke around and that's why the players couldn't believe the matter had gone this far.

"Roosy can fight his own battles, but it's really harsh," Kennelly said at Swans training.

"Roosy has never, ever, once - as long as he's been here and I've been here - ever said to us `go out and lose a game' or `throw a game' or `don't do your best'.

"Look, you are dealing with a bunch of competitive footballers, blokes that are really competitive and don't ever want to lose.

"So if you even try and tell a player to lose they are not going to be able to do it I think, because we've got such a competitive nature in ourselves.

"It's tough and Roosy has got a sarcastic type of joke and that's the way he is about things.

"What he said to (McVeigh), I wasn't down there but I can see why he'd say it, because that's the character he is.

"He likes to joke around about things and that's all it was for sure."

Irishman Kennelly was looking forward to playing his first pre-season game against Brisbane in Canberra on Saturday, following his recuperation from knee surgery.

He was bedevilled by knee problems last year and ended up having both his medial ligament and tendon holding his knee cap reattached after they both snapped.

"It's been a long six months to get it right, but it (the knee) is as good as when it first happened if not better and probably stronger," Kennelly said.

Looking forward to being taken out of "cotton wool", Kennelly said he expected to play at least an hour this weekend as he attempted to put a "frustrating year" behind him.

"Last year I played a lot of games when I was probably 75 per cent fit, when I look back at my first five or six rounds of the season, I was flying and I was really jumping out of my skin".

Kennelly apart, utility Ted Richards is the only other Swan making his first pre-season appearance this weekend.

The early efforts of Sydney's new Irish recruit Brendan Murphy have impressed Kennelly.

Kennelly described his 18-year-old compatriot's kicking as "unbelievable", but didn't want to speculate on whether Murphy would be ready to play senior football this season.

"Brendan is a big tall boy and he wants to play a key position or ruckman and he will have to put on weight, that's the only thing that's going to slow him down from playing AFL football," Kennelly said.

"He's been running in the top three in the trials and for a bloke that's 195 centimetres to run like that, the question will be obviously if he can do it with the weight on him."

Sounds like a crock of sh*t to me tbh. Typical for a comment to be taken completely out of context.

Good news for Kennelly that he's back. Those were some horrible injuries he had last year.

Also positive news on Brendan Murphy. Could very well play some senior football this year if he keeps progressing this way.

Where's Murphy from?

He's a Carlow man for his sins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 the square

He's a Carlow man for his sins.

And a proud one at that!!!
    Mark my words, watch this 18 year old (soon to be 19) go all the way. The most naturally gifted athelete I've seen, will find it hard initially, no doubt. But time is on his side..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Go on the Saints!!!!!

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=427&ContentID=76949
    Swans expecting hostile reception in Perth

4th June 2008, 14:30 WST

Sydney skipper Craig Bolton says the Swans are bracing themselves for a hostile reception in Saturday night's AFL clash against West Coast in Perth.

Sydney have developed a fierce rivalry with the Eagles, with Swans spearhead Barry Hall's king hit on Brent Staker in round four only escalating tensions between the clubs.

The fifth-placed Sydneysiders head into the Subiaco clash as raging hot favourites against the 13th-placed Eagles.

And Bolton said the Swans were looking forward to their latest battle with their 2005 and 2006 grand final combatants.

“Look it is one of the best places to play Subiaco, the crowd is right up against you and it is always a full house and it is a pretty hostile reception,” he said before the team was due to fly to Perth this afternoon.

“I think it will be a tough game to get on top of.

“But you just have to go over there and create your own atmosphere and look after each other on the field.”

The Swans and Eagles have been tough to split in recent seasons with a combined tally of just five points separating them over four matches in 2006 and 2007.

Even their head-to-head record is locked at 19-19.

However West Coast's 62-point loss at ANZ Stadium in round four and 2-8 start to the year has threatened to take some of the heat out of their rivalry.

Bolton thought otherwise.

“We are not going over there under any illusions that it is going to be an easy game,” he said.

“West Coast, we have always had tough games against them and playing at Subiaco is a different prospect to playing them anywhere else, they want to bounce back.

“We know it is going to be a tough game. They still have some quality players.”

The All-Australian backman played down talk of any on-field retribution from Eagles players this weekend with Hall serving the final match of his seven-game suspension for punching Staker.

“The ball is in their court but I would not have thought there will be anything too untoward,” he said.

West Coast coach John Worsfold paid the Swans a compliment by saying he wanted the Eagles to be more like the Sydney club.

“Sydney have bounced back this year after a disappointing year last year,” he said.

“We're certainly pretty keen to follow in Sydney's footsteps in that regard and build the side up so it can really bounce back, so it can be a strong, contending side next year.”

AAP

Come on the Eagles!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

Come on the Eagles!!!! :D

looks like the party boys ran out of steam. ;) what happened, too many late nights?

That and too many young fellas. Was a fantastic game to be at though, if only to see the likes of Kerr and Goodes in the flesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PatCarr

Murphy is a class act... Good socccer player too. Has it all.

Advertisement