Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing dogs

Options
  • 21-02-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

Anyone see this newish phenomenon of people (usually rough looking women wearing some sort of suit and top-hat ensemble) "dancing" with dogs (usually border collies) I saw it mentioned in another thread and didn't want to go off topic.

Personally, I think its crap. Now I know they are not harming anyone and the dogs enjoy it, but it looks dreadful. Are people really entertained by this?

Apologies to anyone who partakes in this terrible exercise, but its just a personal opinion, I would rather watch a simply red concert.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

I have to agree I think it looks ridiculous! I certainly wouldn't consider that entertainment....:confused: But as you said they are not harming anyone.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Do you mean the heelwork to music?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Dancing dogs are class.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq2ksieAHR8

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

lightening wrote: »
    the dogs enjoy it

Do they?

So many things are done to and with dogs, claiming that they "enjoy" it.

Dog dancing is a more harmless example and the dogs probably do enjoy being given mental stimulation and attention (to a degree).

But do they enjoy the tedious hours of endless repetitve training to get the movements just right, the blaring music, the silly costumes, being dragged from venue to venue to perform?

I'd say they'd enjoy a good long romp through the countryside and getting filthy dirty a lot more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭turtle dubh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqbVbPvlDoM
    I dont think a dog would do this if he/she didnt enjoy it and having fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yeah, well ...looks like the dog is having "fun" doesn't it?

But how do you get there ...how do you get the dog to perform this way?

First you have to turn the dog into a reward junkie. Because without being "properly motivated", i.e. hankering for goodies and praise, no dog would give you THIS level of concentrated co-operation.

Then it's loooong, hard hours after hours of tedious repetition of the same moves over and over and in ever changing combinations.

This is hard work, very hard work. Yer woman that does the showpiece at Crufts every year trains a whole year for the next years new routine.

For what?

To do a silly "dance" with your dog?
    To satisfy your need for recognition?
    To win a few prizes?

Leave the dogs to be dogs ... let them get dirty instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I don't like it either - there's something I just don't feel comfortable with about it.
    I do agility but my little one loves tearing round the course especially outdoors - I do beleive she enjoys it by the constant wagging tail and the eagerness to do the jumps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Jaysus, not only does it look moronic, but the poor dogs might not even like it!! Myself and Suzy were right, there is something not right about it. Peasant has hit the nail on the head, maybe subconsciously, I knew the dogs are hating it!

That one on cruffs is the one I had in mind, silly costume, embarrassing dance moves with a couple of salivating border collies... I cringe so much my ears meet at the back of my head.

Yeah, she is doing it as a crowd pleaser, a modern day circus act, a bear on a trike.

I certainly get much more pleasure watching a dog peg along with other dogs on the beach or in the park!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

I have to agree i dont like it one bit. The dog is only doing it for the treats and rewards and looks so concentrated on the task because of the amount of time spent doing the routine and because dogs do like to please there owners also. Mean while the owner is making the dog do it for the prize and recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

We are neglecting the bad costumes and general bad taste also folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I don't know if the dogs like it or not but I just find the people who do it a bit creepy.

Advertisement