Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to France

Options
  • 21-02-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

My current job here in Ireland pays very well. I'm married to a French woman and we want to pack up here and move to France.

Getting a job in France in my current profession isn't really a runner for two reasons:

1. My ability in French is very limited. I'm getting better but it's slow. I'll need to be in the coutry a few months a least before I have the French to attend an interview and that's optimistic.
    2. Wifey wants to move to the south of France and it's unlikely I'll find work in my current profession there.
    3. I don't want to.

The only thing on my side is that we should be able to buy a house with the equity from our house here, so there's be no mortgage (just exorbitant french property taxes which will come to €5k per year!) and have a little left over to live on and start a business. I have a number of ideas for businesses there and am working on them already, but it's hard to say till I'm there if it's going to work.

So, the risks are obvious. If I run out of money before my business takes off, it's Mcdonalds for me, if I'm lucky!

I'm not happy in my current job. The possible benefits from the risk I'm taking are:
    - Nice weather
    - Working for myself
    - More family time
    - Less stress
    - Better all round quality of live

The worst case scenario is that we have to sell up in France and come home with our tails between our legs. We have kids, so we don't want to put them through that.

So why am I posting? I guess it's a good way to see if I'm seeing all the angles here.

Am I mad?

Does anyone have any creative suggestions or experience of taking this risk and making the move?

All thoughts and comments welcome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm planning on moving to France (eventually) myself.

As you say -
    - Nice weather
    - Working for myself
    - More family time
    - Less stress
    - Better all round quality of live

As well as cheap housing, lovely (and cheap) food, lovely lifestyle, and closeness to things like the sea, skiing, etc.

France has so many positives going for it.

But the language and lack of jobs. It's a real problem.

I think you're just going to have to bite the bullet and give it a shot. Can you hold off for a few more months and do some intensive French learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CapedCrusader

You're dead right... I just need to go for it. I know if I found myself stuck in the same situation here in 5 or 10 years time, I'd never forgive myself for not giving it a go.

Sometimes it's very scary! Nothing comes without some risk though... I guess. I'd be interested to hear the experiences of people who've tried to do this?!?!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've watched a few of the "move somewhere else" programs on Uk tv.

The upshot seems to be that the successful folk have a decent business idea and integrate well into the community.

you have a French missus so you won't be viewed as an outsider and should also be able to blend in a bit more.

you may have to let herself be the immediate bread winner whilst you go about promoting your business/skills.

You need to think it through - if you sell up here then you're a bit stuck ifyoucome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

We are also considering the move to Provence. We are currently working on our French with a ways to go yet. We have a friend with some good business ideas who needs someone to jump in and steer him in the right direction. Possibly without that he'll never go for it. Being unemployed and knowing the minefield French red tape can be it is going to be a huge gamble. But the only thing to do is try it. Rather than sit here wondering 'what if' forever.
    My advice would be to go for it. If you think it will work you'll make it work. But unless you try you'll never know! and if you do try Good luck to you.

Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

If you think your French skills are not good enough to attend an interview, why do you think they are good enough to run a business?
    You have to do you accounts, your tax returns, your contracts, etc. in French. You need to be able to read the French laws, to be able to follow them and so on. If you are intending to deal with customers in France, they most likely also speak French.

If your wife's income would be enough, to get you through a few month, I would go and get your French up to an acceptable level in the first few months and then open your business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

we want to pack up here and move to France.

1. My ability in French is very limited. I'm getting better but it's slow. I'll need to be in the coutry a few months a least before I have the French to attend an interview and that's optimistic.

We have kids
    What age are the kids, and do they speak French at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd say the OP has made his mind up by now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

My wife and I (both Irish) live in the southwest of france for the past 5 years. I'll keep it short.
    People: Ireland 10 - France - 2
    Food: Ireland 2 - France 10
    Salary: Ireland 7 - France 3
    Outdoors Ireland 2 - France 10
    Flight options to other countrys Ireland 10 - France (southwest) 1
    No flights home (except with airfrance which is too expensive) from Oct to April.
    Weather: Ireland 1 - France 10

France is great but theres no place like home, were moving in Jan back to be closer to family as we have a 10mth old and once Oct comes were stuck there till April. But I'm sure the south east has more options.
    Feel free to PM me if you hav some questions I've been through it all so maybe I can help.
    PS this message is a bit rushed because I did write a lovely long message only to have my pc shut down randomly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks for that, but this is quite an old thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement