Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get together

Options
  • 21-02-2008 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    I was thinking how good and beneficial it would be to have a social get together for those of us who stammer. I'm open to suggestions of what we could do.

Anyone interested?? :)

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

A game of football maybe? Let our feet do the talking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Or a big dance off. Let our hands and feet do the talking!

Due to location and a lack of money, I may have to miss it, but it would be a good idea. I always found I stammered less when talking to others in the same situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

EF wrote: »
    A game of football maybe? Let our feet do the talking :D
    Or a big dance off. Let our hands and feet do the talking!

Due to location and a lack of money, I may have to miss it, but it would be a good idea. I always found I stammered less when talking to others in the same situation

Two very interesting idea's :D ... just two problem's though...I can't dance and I'm not very good at football :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 greenberet

Hi Guyz & Galz,

First of all, may I introduce myself.
    I'm Barry (aged 35) & have had a stutter since my early 20's.

I work in a Tech Support Environment where making/receiving calls is the norm every day. Having a Stutter is an inconvenience to put it very mildly. I have accepted it & try tips & techniques (eg: sliding & voluntary stuttering) in order to improve my fluency.
    Its all much easier said than done though.

I attended the DAS 5 Course Run by the HSE in March 2007.

Just to bring it to everyones attention.
    The ISA (Irish Stammering Association) meeting on the 1st & 3rd tuesday of every month.

Meetings take place from 2000-2200 in Carmichael House, North Brunswick Street, Dublin 7. All are very welcome.

Please read page 3/3 on the following pdf file for a map on how to get there. (located just off Church street)

http://www.stammeringireland.ie/Self_Help_Group.pdf

Personally i've found the twice monthly meetings to be very beneficial.
    The first hour of the meeting is informal & covers attendees experiences over the last while. Constructive feedback is what I find very beneficial.

The 2nd hour of the meeting is now formal covering role plays eg: phoning the passport offices & asking or being asked some questions.
    The above gives members the opportunity to practice techniques & to receive feedback from other attendees in what very quickly becomes a comfort zone.

Meetings of late have small attendances of approx 5-8 but newcomers are very welcome.

The next ISA Meeting is being held on tuesday next 4th March 2008.

Best wishes,

Barry

An idea would be maybe meeting up at the next Boards Beers outing for a few beers??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Where are these advertised? The boards beers meetings that is

They're normally advertised by way of a banner on the top of the forum under the forums categories. I've never been to one but perhaps I'll go to the next one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I'd be up for meeting anytime. Even two or three people would be beneficial. Need to concentrate on my speech as I've let it slide for a while now. PM me with any details or leave a sticky up above.

Advertisement