Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner wants to euthanise, vet says no?

Options
  • 21-02-2008 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

This post relates to my parents and one of our old cats.

Basically he is old (around 18/19) and his health has been failing over the last 12 or so months which is understandable at his age I guess. He is deaf and almost blind, and about 3 months ago the vet told us his kidneys are failing and he has been medicated to make him as comfortable as possible. He takes a lot of looking after and my mother in particular has become quite distressed over the situation, which I can understand as she's been his 'primary caregiver' (he sounds like a baby doesn't he?) his whole life.

He's been a patient at the same vet ever since we got him as a rescued kitten but it has gotten to the point where my mother wants to have him euthanised as she feels he is suffering too much, and prolonging his life is unfair to him. She has said this to the vet on a few occasions and they refuse to put him to sleep, saying he's not at the stage in his illness where they could justify it. I tend to trust the vet on it, I know the end is near for him believe me, but I can't imagine they'd prolong his life and make him suffer on purpose? My mother however is absolutely adamant that he must be put to sleep and is taking him to another vet this week, hoping she will get the answer she wants. He is very unwell but I worry that in the distressed state she's currently in my mother will get her way and then regret it later.

Her argument is that the current vet is in it for the money (I doubt the odd 50 euro here and there for his medication is going to buy the vet a summer house!) and that's why they won't put him to sleep. On that basis she's hopeful another vet will agree to do it, which they may well do.

It's a very difficult time for my mum understandably, and she won't talk to anyone about it now. I just can't believe his current vet would prolong his life unfairly? Are there bad vets out there?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Yes, there are bad vets out there!! But that doesn't mean that your vet is bad.

At the end of the day, I'd leave the decision making up to your Mam. Maybe by the time you get the cat to the vet he seems a bit perkier. The vet is not with your cat 24/7 like your Ma is so I'm sure she'd be better able to make a decision.

Maybe he is in it for the money. He could be telling 10 different pet owners the same thing so surely it all ads up.

Anyway, I hope your poor Mam sticks to her guns because most people would do what suited them and she sounds like shes doing whats nicest for your cat!
    Fair play to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Personally, unless the cat is in untreatable pain, I don't see any reason to pts. I say follow the vet's advice, after all, he is the one that went to school for 7 years or so to learn these things lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

I doubt that any vet is in the business for the money.People become vets to help animals,not hurt them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Personally, unless the cat is in untreatable pain, I don't see any reason to pts. I say follow the vet's advice, after all, he is the one that went to school for 7 years or so to learn these things lol.

Why wait until he is in unbearable pain?, cats don't look to the future they are in the here and now. It goes against the ethos of do no harm. The vet may have studied for 7 years but the OP mum looked after the cat for 18!. Rhetorical question, what do you think about that doctor that unnecessarily removed uterus's from a number of women?, do you think what he did what was right just because he studied X number or years?.

OP the vet is there to provide a service your mum is more than entitled to go elsewhere.

Advertisement