Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Newts climb?

Options
  • 21-02-2008 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Just curious - can newts climb the same as lizards ie, up walls?
    I tried google/wikipedia it earlier but I'm still none the wiser.

The reason I ask is I found a little newt in my house yesterday & I wan't to try figure out how it got in so I can stop any more getting in!

The room he got into has really thick walls & was recently replastered/insulated so thre's no gaps in the walls/around the windows.
    The only access to the room is a hole up about 15' up where I need to put a vent cover up.
    I'm wondering is it possible that they can climb up that high or are they like mice in that they can get in anywhere?

I'd never even seen a newt up close until I seen this one and unfortunately for him I didn't see him and stood on the poor little bugger :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

i have paddletail and chinese firebelly newts and they climb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I'd never even seen a newt up close until I seen this one and unfortunately for him I didn't see him and stood on the poor little bugger :(

Awww, the poor little thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

perhaps you stood on the poor fecker before you entered the house? where do you live,i wanna move there is you have foxes and newts in your garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭harlem

Kaldorn wrote: »
    perhaps you stood on the poor fecker before you entered the house? where do you live,i wanna move there is you have foxes and newts in your garden?

That's what I thought at first that maybe I'd left the door open or something but I hadn't been out in the garden & we dont use that room much so the doors always closed in it.:confused:

Its mad I'm a Dub and I've only recently moved to the outskirts of Kilkenny so its a bit of a culture shock, I've never seen so much wildlife in a garden before I loves it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭harlem

Just found another newt in the living room, still dont have a clue how they're getting in :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

Yes they can climb. As a child I love finding them. I would put them in a bucket to bring them home they would climb out. Where my house is built now is the field I used to get them and when I saw the field turn to a site I moved as many as I could to a river near by. When we cut they grass we have to look around the edges for them and frogs. now my kids put them into buckets so they can see them climb up.:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement