Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bearded Dragon

Options
  • 21-02-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭

Hey All

I got a bearded dragon today, im delighted with him, i called him steve and hes about 3 months old.

However some things I'm worried about

I was told he would eat approx 2 boxes of size 4 crickets a week. But he seems to be running away from them rather than eating them. I'm guessing its because of his new enclosure and hes away from all his buddies. Also im getting very mixed message about how much to feed him and the ratio of bugs to veg. lots of different places on the net are giving different messages

I was told he could easily eat 10 size 4 crickets in a few mins I was also told he wasnt fed crickets today only veg and that he would eat loads when he got home and he didn't. Other said just throw a few crikets in now and again, if hes hungry.. he'll eat em now and eat what ever is left later. is this a good approach?

Also I understand some veg is toxic to him. but again I dont have a COMPLETE list of what is and what isnt and even some saying things like lettuce is and other sites saying it isnt.

I did a good bit of reseach before I got him but it the fist day and all and im a wee bit worried.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

grahambo wrote: »
    Hey All

I got a bearded dragon today, im delighted with him, i called him steve and hes about 3 months old.

However some things I'm worried about

I was told he would eat approx 2 boxes of size 4 crickets a week. But he seems to be running away from them rather than eating them. I'm guessing its because of his new enclosure and hes away from all his buddies. Also im getting very mixed message about how much to feed him and the ratio of bugs to veg. lots of different places on the net are giving different messages

I was told he could easily eat 10 size 4 crickets in a few mins I was also told he wasnt fed crickets today only veg and that he would eat loads when he got home and he didn't. Other said just throw a few crikets in now and again, if hes hungry.. he'll eat em now and eat what ever is left later. is this a good approach?

Also I understand some veg is toxic to him. but again I dont have a COMPLETE list of what is and what isnt and even some saying things like lettuce is and other sites saying it isnt.

I did a good bit of reseach before I got him but it the fist day and all and im a wee bit worried.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Did you get any advice from the person you got it from?

Found this:
    http://www.dachiu.com/care/abeard.html
    If you are really concerned though I'd definitely contact a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I did, he said he would be out of sorts for a few days as he was originally with all his buddies and now hes on his own.

I hope he is ok

He was alive this morning abeit a bit cold (he decided not to sleep on the heat matt, i moved him onto it chopped up some small veg and left that in little plate on the heat matt too so i hope he stays on it.)

The heat bulb i got didnt work I know it the bulb andnot the fitting as a normal bulb did work. will he be ok with just the heat matt until I can get a replacement bulb later today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Beards need heat from above and not below. I don't use any heat mats as they can burn easily on them. for heat i use a ceramic heater with pulse stats and a safety cage around the heater. Others i know just use a standard bulb during the day and nothing at night. Just ensure that he has a UVB lamp. Other than that good luck, they are ideal reptiles

Join Ireland Weather Network

Advertisement