Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's up with my cat?

Options
  • 20-02-2008 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've tamed a stray kitten, it's about 9-10 month old now.

Lately it's starting making this weird noise when breathing, it thew up couple of times, but I think it's was because of over-eating, we've reduced the amount we feed her now and he doesn't throw up anymore.

It's kind of a heavy breathing noise, like it's cold or something, and does sometimes make this weird gestures like it's trying to cough up something.

Maybe it's cold? it's still not fully tamed so sometimes it runs outside after sitting at home in warmth, maybe it got cold?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Is it vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Hey,
    It's kind of a heavy breathing noise, like it's cold or something, and does sometimes make this weird gestures like it's trying to cough up something.

Have you wormed him/her? There's a specific sound to a wormy cough that anyone who's heard it before would recognise a mile off. A simple tablet from the vet will deal with worms or if you have trouble getting a tablet into him/her ask for parazole/panacur as this can be mixed into wet food and given to the cat this way.

If you're following a normal worming routine for the kitty and he/she isn't coughing up anything my first thought would be a hairball if this only happens a once or twice a day. You don't notice sicked up bits of grass do you?

If the cat is making a funny noise while breathing all of the time bring him/her straight to the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Bring them to the vet, don't take any chances on something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Is it vaccinated?

No.
    hadook wrote: »
    Have you wormed him/her? There's a specific sound to a wormy cough that anyone who's heard it before would recognise a mile off. A simple tablet from the vet will deal with worms or if you have trouble getting a tablet into him/her ask for parazole/panacur as this can be mixed into wet food and given to the cat this way.

If you're following a normal worming routine for the kitty and he/she isn't coughing up anything my first thought would be a hairball if this only happens a once or twice a day. You don't notice sicked up bits of grass do you?

If the cat is making a funny noise while breathing all of the time bring him/her straight to the vet.

No, no worming either, I didn't notice any grass.
    Ruu wrote: »
    Bring them to the vet, don't take any chances on something like this.

hmm, that's going to be kinda hard considering it doesn't like being held for too long :/

Thanks for the replies guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

You will need a small portable cat crate to bring him to the vets. You might be able to borrow one from a friend with cats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Definitely sounds like a problem that could easily be fixed with a worming tablet. But still take him to the vet. He needs to get his jabs no matter what. And hopefully the vet will worm him at the same time. If you say he's difficult to hold, you might find it difficult to worm him. I don't like the method of sticking the tablet into its food. It still might miss it and you might never even know. Open his mouth, put the tablet at the back of his tongue and then hold his mouth shut until he swallows. Then check to see that it's gone. Simple as that.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

deman wrote: »
    I don't like the method of sticking the tablet into its food. It still might miss it and you might never even know. Open his mouth, put the tablet at the back of his tongue and then hold his mouth shut until he swallows. Then check to see that it's gone. Simple as that.:cool:

Panacur is a granule wormer and parazole is a liquid wormer - they're great for cats who don't do tablets. I have some less than tame cats :rolleyes: so I get a mix of the tablets and parazole from the vet when it comes to worming time.

Give me a dog anytime. Wrap a tablet in a bit of ham and toss to dog as a treat! :D

Hey guys, thanks for all your suggestions! :)

I just had it to the vet, I didn't have a crate Alfa, but they were nice enough to lend me one while in there and back.

Anyways, the doc checked him and said it's just probably worms, gave him vaccination(another one in 3 weeks), and a warming talblet, he did it the way deman said i.e. opening it's mouth........

I was very happy and surprized the way he(of btw, finally I was able to find out if it's a he or a she lol) behaved, very calm and quiet I was expecting having to restrain him and all that trouble, but nope.

Anyways, thanks a lot guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

was it a fur ball as cats can have a problem

Morganna wrote: »

No, the vet said it was probably worms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Morganna wrote: »
    i thougt the same thing too as for the cat to young i think.Hope the kit alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭suimhneas

bring the cat to the vet asap that happend to our kittens and once they get a cold it can turn into a virus in their sinus and can actually lead to blindness

I already did..... the above comment.

Advertisement