Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22wmr Or .17hrm

Options
  • 20-02-2008 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi all new to this site just wanted some opnions on the .22wmr v .17hrm. I have the 22 now but am thinking of changing to .17. The main use of my rifle would be small vermint & the occasional fox just wanted to know from people using the .17 in the field

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

A 17hmr would be best if your shooting small game like rabbits and is ok for fox to around 100 yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Both good calibres.

rabbits & very odd fox go for 17hmr

rabbits and good few fox go for 22 mag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I've shot both, and consider the 17hmr superior. I think its a lazy man's round, just put the crosshairs on the target and pull as trajectory is so flat! the .22mag's trajectory is a bit more loopy.

In terms of energy, the .22magnum has superior energy to 100yds, and then falls off pretty quick, and this is where the 17hmr comes into its own.

As stated its good for the odd fox under 100yds. The reason for this is the 17bullets "explode" on impact without much penetration. .22mag will penetrate better.

Also if you plan to eat the rabbits you have to take head shots with the hmr. You would get away with upper body shots with magnum using Jacketed Hollow Points.

I would consider the 17hmr to be a way more accurate round than the .22mag. I'm sure many more will agree with me.

Both the .22mag and 17hmr were CZ rifles, the .22 was a standard version and the 17hmr was an american version with a heavy barrel and factory threaded.

Another thing to think about is a moderator. There is a SAK moderator on ours its pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

I've also been thinking about changing a 22lr to a meatier cal. how would the fo at the local cop shop view a change from .22 to .17? for most .22 changes it seems 22lr =22swift =22hornet =22mag ,so just a quick scribble and a stamp;) would .17 need a full re-application of cert.

de_shadow wrote: »
    I've also been thinking about changing a 22lr to a meatier cal. how would the fo at the local cop shop view a change from .22 to .17? for most .22 changes it seems 22lr =22swift =22hornet =22mag ,so just a quick scribble and a stamp;) would .17 need a full re-application of cert.

Depends on your FO, some can be a bit sticky but you would be surprised how many FOs will think your downsizing, some of them just look at the numbers:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Explain to him what your doing, even bring two empty rounds for comparison..

I shoot a wmr on foxes mainly 100 yrds or less,. I was thinking on changing?? looked at 204 upto 220 swift keep coming back to wmr

look at this page
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 breatta

IT really sounds a good round. I had a look at the CZ 453 Vermit gun yesterday come's treaded for moderator really good value aswell & i know there a good gun as my 22magnum is cz & has never let me down. Thanks for the insight think its time to take the next step & buy.

You should have no problems. which ever calibre you decide on, 22wmr or 17 hmr, thier both a nice round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

de_shadow wrote: »

Calibre changes do not require (in law) a re-application. As you describe it "a quick scribble and a stamp" is ok for a change in calibre by your F.O.

Advertisement