Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD Help (different slots??)

Options
  • 20-02-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭

Looking at different 32" LCD's at the moment. One feature that seems to be different is in the slots provided. Some tv's have PC Card slots whilst others s have CableCARD slots.

Could anyone explain the difference please?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd say the PC card slot you refer to is a Common Interface (CI) slot into which you'd stick in a CAM (CAM = Conditional Access Module).

The CAM would in turn have a card slot. The CAM can vary depending on the card's encryption system.

On nearly all TV's I've seen the slots are only for digital terrestrial TV signals (digital via aerial), which may or may not be of much use when Irish DTT launches properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

byte wrote: »
    I'd say the PC card slot you refer to is a Common Interface (CI) slot into which you'd stick in a CAM (CAM = Conditional Access Module).

The CAM would in turn have a card slot. The CAM can vary depending on the card's encryption system.

On nearly all TV's I've seen the slots are only for digital terrestrial TV signals (digital via aerial), which may or may not be of much use when Irish DTT launches properly.

So do you reckon you could get the digital through the aerial via the PC card slot or would you need the cablecard slot ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you want to get digital TV through your aerial, just ensure that it has a DTT tuner.

However, there is a high possibility that Irish DTT will use MPEG4 compression, unlike a vast majority of TV's at the moment which have MPEG2 tuners.

As for the slot, I'd go with a CI slot, so that you can use whichever CAM you need, as the card slot might only work with one encryption system, eg. Nagravision (Irish trials are using Conax encryption, but since it's a trial, this is subject to change too).

Otherwise, just ignore all the integrated DTT stuff, and get a relevant receiver when the product is officially launched properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

byte wrote: »
    If you want to get digital TV through your aerial, just ensure that it has a DTT tuner.

The tv has a DVB-T tuner , would this be ok ?

Advertisement