Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acupuncture

Options
  • 20-02-2008 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭

A chinese health shop has just opened near me and I was gunna head in and see about getting the auld acupuncture....anyone any success with this? I want to quit but boredom at night kills me so I'm wondering would this approach be better. Fecking sick of them. Again....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

accupuncture cant make you not bored at nitetimes and it also cant give you will power -what it can do is ease the cravings or withdrawals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah. I'm on the nicorette patches now so i'm gunna stick with that for now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tofueater

Hi Pclancy,

Acupuncture can be helpful in giving up smoking but it will only help with the withdrawal, cravings and to relax you. It won't increase your will power or as was said above, or make you less bored at night!

Usually ear acupuncture is used in this treatment. Five tiny needles are placed in one ear for about 30mins and ear seeds (little mustards seeds on small plasters) are placed over five points in the opposite ear. The ear seeds are left in for the few days between treatments. The idea is that you can press the seeds a couple times a day or as you feel the need for them to relax you and clear the cravings.
    A course of treatment is two treatments a week for 2 weeks and one final treatment in the third week. The acupuncture is strongest the first time you do the course, after that it isn't as effective.
    Nicotine replacements do just that, they replace the nicotine you get from cigs with more nicotine in a different form so you don't actually withdraw from the nicotine at all.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aldav

I was in the same situation as yourself but I am afraid of needles so a friend recommended getting hypnotised. I found a hypnotist near me on www.thehealthclinic.ie and I couldnt believe how good it was. I have been off them for 2 months now and that is incredible for me. You have to really want to give them up though, my mate only lasted for 4 hours so some will power is needed. Best of luck anyway.
    Al

Advertisement