Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tap two brain cells, clarify.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Unfortunately I dont know the official ruling on that card interaction as my play experience lately has been pretty limited, but from my interpretation of the cards, yes. A trickbind would counter a cycled decree of justice. As trickbind will counter an activated ability, i.e. Cycling of decree of justice cannot be stopped, but the ability that is activated by paying X when you cycle the card can be countered. The player who cycled the decree would still draw the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

Depending on what you want to do, this interaction can work in two ways:

1) You can stop the player drawing a card

2) You can stop the player getting the tokens

Cycling is an activated ability that says "pay cost, discard card : draw a card". This means it can be countered by Trickbind, but the token making trigger will still happen. So, in order:

The player announces they are cycling the card and pay the 3 mana. The cost involves discarding the card and triggers the token making ability from the graveyard. This goes on top of the "draw a card" trigger.

You now have two choices : Counter the activated ability (cycling) to stop the card draw but let the tokens resolve, or counter the triggered ability (token making) but let the player draw a card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Thanks lads.
    Matthew, we came to the same conclusion.

I have a bucket load of 'points of contention'.

Another one is a 14/4 trampler is blocked by mirri the cursed http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardscans/MAGPLACHA/mirri_the_cursed.jpg.
    Does her counter come on straight away? She is first strike, so she is doing combat damage first, so gets a counter. Bringing her attack to 4, which is enough to take out the trampler. However seeing as the +1+1 comes on after first damage, does it count towards the first strike?

Can't edit my post?
    http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/search_result_card.asp?id=14764
    The previous link for mirri not working.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Mirri would deal her first strike damage, first strike damage resolves and she gets her counter. But the 14/4 trampler only has 3 damage on it and Mirri only deals damage once. Double Strike allows a creature to deal first strike damage and normal damage, but Mirri doesnt have that so what happens then is that she deals her 3 damage, gets pumped up to 4/3. Then the tramplers damage resolves, dealing damage according to the controllers wishes but usually 3 damage to Mirri and then the remaining 11 damage to Mirri's controller.

• Advertisement

Cheers Ivan.

If you or indeed anyone ever fancies a game of magic.
    Myself and a few others have regular games, maybe 2/3 times a week.
    Mostly vintage decks. Duel's and mellee games.
    Usually located in Santry. Would be great to have new players.

Friday night magic in the model shop on dorsett street.
    Official DCI sanctioned events.
    Registration at 7pm, start by 7:30pm.
    Draft and sealed deck events, as well as 2headed giant and pre-release events.

Shadowmoor drafts and sealed deck pre-release events this weekend (18th,19th,20th April). Sat and sun are the sealed deck pre-release events. Standard sealed deck on the Friday night, followed by a Shadowmoor draft.
    Happening in the model shop on Dorsett st. 7pm on friday, 12 noon for the sat and sun.

More Magic on this coming weekend. Friday 7pm sealed shadowmoor.
    Sat, sun and mon @ 12pm, shadowmoor release events.

A question :
    It's my turn. I have an isochron sceptre with echoing truth on it. I tap 2, use isochron. I target a gilded lotus. The echoing truth gets forked by my opponent. Can I, in response to that, trickbind my isochron to stop the isochron casting the echoing truth in the first place? If so, what happens fork as it was announced and all that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Oh no no no.

Trickbind responds to the activation trigger. Once the spell is out on the stack it needs to be counterspelled.

You cast Echoing Truth off the Sceptre and they fork it back to you; all you can do is 1. take it like a man, 2. take it like a man and fork it back, 3. Counterspell the forked copy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement