Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cursed light switch

Options
  • 20-02-2008 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭

Unsure if this is the right place for this, Mods, please move if felt necessary.

My bathrooms light switch is on the blink. I have no idea how it happened, but I came home from college yesterday and found that my light switch is jammed. It's stuck in the "off" position and I can't press it down to "on". It's the standard lightswitch set on the wall just outside the bathroom.

It's driving me insane now as the room is almost completely dark and makes showering and shaving a nightmare in the dark.

I was thinking of unscrewing the lightswitch and having a look to see if anythings jammed but I figured I should have a look here first as I don't want to electrocute myself or anything.

Should I buy a new lightswitch or do I need to call in the professionals?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The switch sounds b0rked.

You need to repace it. 2 minute job for a pro.

You need to power off the supply to the circuit at the mcb. As the swich isn't working you'll need to check it with a meter, which you probably don;t have.

My advice to you, if you want to do it yourself is; knock the power off to the whole house. You can be sure you won't get a shock then. Make sure your connections are tight and you don't damage the conductor. As always, if your unsure then contact a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Is this a case of buying a new white plastic lightswitch from the DIY store or is it fiddling with electronics?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

As magnolia said, knock off the power and check the wiring isnt loose or the switch just jammed by something that might be more obvious when you open it. After that its just a matter of replacing the whole swtich on the wall, shud only be a few quid in any DIY and same setup as what you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

You're in the right place, anyway.

Just knock off the whole house, pick up a standard single gang light switch in your hardware store (I assume it's just for the bathroom), remove two faceplate screws, note the connections at the back, and replace in that order, making sure they're good and tight.

Replace the switch, and power back up.

Advertisement