Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Admission Policies - What do you think it should be?

• 20-02-2008 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

I found that a lot of schools have different admission policies. It can be a combination of proximity to school, religion, age, first come first served etc. What do you think is the fairest way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Well as I'm the pre-enrollment officer for a proposed new Educate Together school I'm gonna have to vote 1st come-1st served with no other criteria :) (apart from age ofc - there are rules :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

That makes no distinction if you are living in an area for 20yrs or 1 day.

Which I find unfair. Also if you have one kid in the school it means you might not get the others in it. Which makes life very hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

BostonB wrote: »
    That makes no distinction if you are living in an area for 20yrs or 1 day.

Which I find unfair. Also if you have one kid in the school it means you might not get the others in it. Which makes life very hard.

I don't see why being in an area for 20 years or 1 day should make any difference tbh.

I don't think there is a fair enrolment policy in the country tbh (and I'm involved in enrolments in our school and had the pleasure of being involved in Section 29 appeals)

All enrolment policies discriminate against someone in favour on someone else.

the least unfair criteria - in my opinion are:

Age - those nearest 5 should be accomodated first
    catchment area - in the best of all worlds you should be able to send your child to the school nearest you, where they can be with all their neighbours etc .

religion should NOT be a criteria imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ArthurDent wrote: »
    the least unfair criteria - in my opinion are:

Age - those nearest 5 should be accomodated first
    catchment area - in the best of all worlds you should be able to send your child to the school nearest you, where they can be with all their neighbours etc
    I'd agree with this and also with consideration to having siblings in the school. Having all the kids in one school eases pressure on the parents and from my own experience, younger kids definitely appreciate having an older sibling there who can look after them, or answer teacher's questions, and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't see why being in an area for 20 years or 1 day should make any difference tbh.....
    catchment area - in the best of all worlds you should be able to send your child to the school nearest you, where they can be with all their neighbours etc .

I agree with you about the catchment. Your kids are going to be a long time in school and its very good to have out of school activities both with other kids but also the other parents of class mates and this is only really works if you live within the catchment etc. Which is why you buy a place to live, you generally pick a place thats within the catchment of a local school or two.

But recently, at a party of kids in the same class in creche as my own I was chatting to the other parents. I realised with surprise that most of the parents weren't from the catchment , or weren't planning to stay in the catchment . But yet a lot of them has managed to secure places in the local schools. Either they had lived temporarily in the catchment , or had just rented out a place without living in it to get there kids in. Perhaps because there was no school where they lived, or no places, or it was handier to drop and pick up kids in school close to work, or on the way to work.

I guess I'm sore about this, because they'll be commuting their kids into our local school and we'll be commuting our kids out of the area, as we'll likely not get into the local school (kids being a few weeks younger). I commuted as a kid and I didn't want my own to have to do that. I guess the solution is to move to a different area where theres less pressure on school places. Whereever that is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement