Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good pistol to start off with

Options
  • 20-02-2008 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

ok guys im gonna buy a pistol just dont know what to buy so any sugestions would be welcome i think im just gonna get a 22 for now and dont wanna spend too much money i was lookin at the sig mosquito any one got one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 trevcon

A Buckmark or Ruger would be a better purchase. Have a look on www.frankonia.de they have a Ruger for under €300. Right click your mouse on site, goto page details and translate to English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

But won't tonym still get stung for monitored alarm etc? a lot more than the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

thanks for the replies so far but i DO NOT want this to turn out to be a thread on monitored alarms i know all the conditions on owning a fire arm thats not the question i asked im looking for sugestions on what fire arm to buy so again thanks but please unless u have a pistol or have owned one then let me know what its like pros and cons if u want to talk about the regulations then there are plenty of other threads to do that on

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

Tony , if you can find a Beretta 87A , it covers all the bases , it is well made , accurate within my own limited capabilities , and very reliable . I had a 87A so I am speaking from experience , and it wont break the bank !!!:D and it is a .22

John

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heard good things about the Buckmark, and it seems a reasonable price. Very pretty little thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 trevcon

I recently bought a second hand Buckmark from Frankonia for €195 all in(new one here €600 approx). I shoot my clubs Buckmark and its very accurate, reliable and feels nice in the hand. Come on cert till I collect my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

tonym wrote: »
    ok guys im gonna buy a pistol just dont know what to buy so any sugestions would be welcome i think im just gonna get a 22 for now and dont wanna spend too much money i was lookin at the sig mosquito any one got one

My advice re sig mosquito, four of our members had them they are junk.

Cant say much more on them, and as for the Walther P22 not much good eitheir.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MortgageMan

I agree with Sikamick, stay away from mosquito.

The S&W p22a is a good target gun and feels right in your hand. A number of guys in our club shoot them.

There are also club guns available in .22 to shoot in Hilltop.

I recommend that you get to a local club and use some of their guns before you decide on a particular model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Sikamick wrote: »

My advice re sig mosquito, four of our members had them they are junk.

Cant say much more on them, and as for the Walther P22 not much good eitheir.

have to agree with mick, the walther is just a bit better than the sig mosquito pity as the sig is a lovely gun and the walther a little small .i got rid of them and now have a H K usp now and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

fired the mosquito.worst trigger iv'e shot ever.must have been around 10 pounds pull weight.Get a nice heavy barrel ruger .22,very nice shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I have the Mosquito about a year now. Great little .22. Very picky about ammo though, most owners I know had issues with them until they started using the right rounds. It feels good, looks good and it's as accurate as the amount of practice you put in.It's cheap and cheerfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

mcguiver wrote: »
    I have the Mosquito about a year now. Great little .22. Very picky about ammo though, most owners I know had issues with them until they started using the right rounds. It feels good, looks good and it's as accurate as the amount of practice you put in.It's cheap and cheerfull.

have to agree with mcguiver i have a mosquito aswell and have had any bother with it......

fussy about ammo but i find cci's work wonderful in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

mcguiver wrote: »
    most owners I know had issues with them until they started using the right rounds.QUOTE]

What are they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

I have the Mosquito about a year now. Great little .22

It does look pretty cool, but it is very unreliable, inaccurate and has a terrible trigger. If yours is reliable you are in a minority, that is for sure!!

Like many other posters here I know lots of people that had them and they all got rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

fishdog wrote: »
    It does look pretty cool, but it is very unreliable, inaccurate and has a terrible trigger. If yours is reliable you are in a minority, that is for sure!!

Like many other posters here I know lots of people that had them and they all got rid of them.

+1

They are also horrendously inaccurate at anything more than 10 paces from your barn door, and if you are getting it for target shooting, you might be better off throwing the bullets at the target.

There's a lot better out there second hand for the same money and will give far better satisfaction than the Sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

I was talking with a Sig Mosquito owner on Saturday down in the Midlands (MNSCI) and he seemed quite happy and content with it.

It was shooting well at 25m, up and down with his group sizes, from about 4" down to about 2". Good enough for plinking but not bullseye.

He told me that he had to change the main spring and try out various types of ammo until he came up with a good combination.

I asked him if he would recommend a Mosquito, he said no..............too much bother and not enough accuracy.....................

Sig Mosquito ......................Nil Points (with a French accent)..........:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sharps

The Hammerli x esse (known in the states as the sig trailside) is an excellent .22 target pistol. A lot bigger in the hand than the p22 or the mosquito. very reliable and accurate and costs in the region of 500 euros, have had one for a couple of years now and never had a single problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

ApologiesI forgot to mention the ammo, in low velocity CCI's work perfectly. High velocity ammo doesn't seem to be an issue.
    Stick any pistol in a vice and fire it a few times to see the accuracy. Again it's down to practrice.
    I do agree other's like the walther seem to have easier triggers/ less kick. Best advice is to try a few different pistols. We all have our own likes/dislikes.

in low velocity CCI's work perfectly. High velocity ammo doesn't seem to be an issue.

Why not simply buy a pistol that will cycle anything and shoot accuratley???

There are plenty that will, inc. Beretta Target 87, Browning Buckmark, Hammerli x esse, CZ Cadet, Tangfoglio

You really dont need the grief! Changing a licence or selling a pistol can be a nightmare.

I have seen people with Walther P22s and Sig Mosquitos jaming shot after shot, yet the owners kept insisting that they were not and making up excuses for the guns (wrong ammo, wrong spring etc.)!!

I talk to them later when they had changed for a quality pistol and they would then admit that the previous one broke thier heart!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

fishdog wrote: »
    Why not simply buy a pistol that will cycle anything and shoot accuratley???

There are plenty that will, inc. Beretta Target 87, Browning Buckmark, Hammerli x esse, CZ Cadet, Tangfoglio

You really dont need the grief! Changing a licence or selling a pistol can be a nightmare.

I have seen people with Walther P22s and Sig Mosquitos jaming shot after shot, yet the owners kept insisting that they were not and making up excuses for the guns (wrong ammo, wrong spring etc.)!!

I talk to them later when they had changed for a quality pistol and they would then admit that the previous one broke thier heart!!

i know where i can get a beretta target 87 for 450 euro is that good ????????????????????

• Advertisement

If it is in good nick, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

One word of warning regarding the Hammerli X-Esse. I've always thought it was a very good pistol; accurate, reliable and inexpensive. However I saw one recently where the barrel had moved in the shroud to the extent that it would no longer fire because the firing pin wasn't striking the rim any more.

Advertisement