Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi 250

Options
  • 19-02-2008 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

It has European maps.

Is it possible to upload USA maps?
    Expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Probably not, the unit memory is approx 1.5GB and it's pretty full. You could buy an SD ard and try adding the US maps but if you're going to go down that road you really should have bought a unit with the US & Europe maps preinstalled, it's very expensive (relatively) to do this after the initial purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Thank you coylemj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Another quick Nuvi 250 question.
    I just noticed than when I turn on the screen lock, it mutes the sound/voice.
    Is this a setting that can be changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

coylemj wrote: »
    Probably not, the unit memory is approx 1.5GB and it's pretty full. You could buy an SD ard and try adding the US maps but if you're going to go down that road you really should have bought a unit with the US & Europe maps preinstalled, it's very expensive (relatively) to do this after the initial purchase.

Can you actually buy it with both sets of Maps? Every where i see it listed it says it comes with Either US or Europe Maps....

It looks like a nice unit, at a nice price, would be good to know that you could up-load the US maps on to an SD card if it was required...

If you want Europe and the US then you need to buy the 270, this will be significantly cheaper than buying a 250 plus an SD card plus a standalone DVD of the US maps and that's assuming that the US maps can be put on the SD card.

I have just upgraded the Europe maps on my 250 to V10 and there's only 34MB free (out of 1.5GB) so the 250 base unit does not have enough capacity for Europe and the US plus like I said in an earlier posting you need to buy the maps upfront rather than add them on later.

The 270 is the man for you.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=9316

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

coylemj wrote: »
    The 270 is the man for you.

Or you could consider the Nuvi 770 - really cool unit with both Europe and US. Price is higher than the 270, but it is a better using, nice 4.3 inch screen, Bluetooth etc.

I saw it listed here: http://www.memoryc.com/gpsnavigation/systems/garminnuvi770bluetooth.html

-jayo

I take strong exception to any web site whch is selling to consumers and which quotes prices ex. VAT which is the case with that crowd memoryc.com plus they only deliver via DHL which makes the 770 cost 479 whereas if you live in Dublin you can buy it from www.elara.ie for 370 for pickup in Park West or 381 if you want it delivered.

Advertisement