Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat fights!

Options
  • 19-02-2008 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

My Cat (now named Tina) I have discovered is an indoor cat but only in bad weather or when its time for her morning and afternoon nap. She always wants to be indoors at night though usually wanting to start her morning rounds outside at 6am when she sits on the windowsill and somehow manages to wake me up to open it up for her. She always lets you know what she wants be it food, to be left out, left in, to be left alone, to be cuddled etc

Her favourite haunt is our neighbours farm where there are many cats old and young. My cat expects all cats to be as playful and excited about life as she is which can cause problems and she got into an almighty scrape this evening judging from the screams and commotion that rocked the neighbourhood and sent the dogs into a tizzy. She was uninjured - just came back looking a bit dejected and disappointed.

I hate thinking she might be in danger but also know I have to let here learn through experience in the bad outside world.

She is now microchipped & vaccinated and is sporting her new collar embroidered with contact details which arrived today from the USA so I feel a little better now about letting her out and about. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

One of my cats is always getting into scrapes with neighbouring Tom cats. A few weeks back he looked a bit dopey, and his eyes looked droopy and when I petted him on the head I felt a little lump. To cut a long story short, the lump on his head got much bigger and a day or so later, I patted him on the head and pus started coming out of it, I'd say maybe a tablespoon or so, maybe a bit more. I cleaned the area with warm salty water and a kitchen towel and for a day or so it was weeping. He's fine now though and his eyes look normal again.
    I reckon he got the lumps as a result of a bite from fighting with a bigger tom living right across the street.
    He has always been an outdoor cat but I keep him in at night now just to be safe.
    My kitten is getting nutered today... I'm worried about her. Should have her back this evening all things going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

My ex cat was notorious for picking fights, they were about 2 minutes of shrieking and wailing and about 5 seconds physical contact. Saw her chase off 2 dogs one day. One of the other cats must've given her a good hiding one day, because she spent 90% of her time indoors for her last 6 months, would just go outside to stretch and do her business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Our cats are in the middle of a new territorial dispute with a cat that's just arrived in the neighborhood. Thankfully, it's only been handbags though.

Shouldn't laugh, but it is kinda funny seeing them do the stand-off: facing each other down and swatting at each other with paws, before one gives in and legs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

and the size of the tail - it's so funny when they blow it up to 4 times the normal size - it looks like those feather dusters ;-)

Anyways, those fights are normal, I guess - my cat has successfully managed to defend his territory - no other cat has dared to come withing 50 feet of the house since...;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Love the staredowns. I was walking to the shop one day and my cat was under our car staring and growling at another cat(who was doing the same) under another car 10 feet away. came back half an hour later and they were still at it.

• Advertisement

Mine is constantly doing that as the female kitten was in heat the last week or so and we had all sorts of visitations from Tom Cats from everywhere. He's a big cat and is well able to defend himself thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

tallus wrote: »
    He's a big cat and is well able to defend himself thankfully.

My tom is huge and I came down this morning to find 2, yes 2 strange cats, one asleep in my clothes basket, the other finishing my cats dinner from the night before. :eek::eek:

My tom is huge and I came down this morning to find 2, yes 2 strange cats, one asleep in my clothes basket, the other finishing my cats dinner from the night before. :eek::eek:

Mine draws the line at food theft, he would fight to the death. I have to keep a constant eye on him to make sure he doesn't eat the kittens food.
    Edit, just took a photo of him eating, you can get an idea of size from the can on the floor beside him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

My bro's cat Boo (Who is an absolute nutter by the way) came in about two months ago with a claw stuck in the top of her head. At first my brother thought it was a tick when he was petting her but no, some other cat had lost a claw in her skull!!
    I'm lucky my cat just stays in the garden trying to be a dog like the others!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Heres a good one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55qtSk3hVhQ

If this happened outside my room at night both of them would get a bucket of water :D

• Advertisement

Cat bites can be fatal to other cats.
    I'd do my best to keep them out of those kind of situations.

Advertisement