Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of getting a Website developed?

Options
  • 19-02-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Hope this is the right thread! If a mod thinks its better elsewhere plesae advise!

An uncle of mine is looking into starting up a new business/website. The site would be similar to the likes of dabs/myHome but would not be solely real estate based. I'm looking for info to give him in terms of development i.e. cost of site development, potential/recommended developers etc. He is based in Limerick.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

I actually came looking to put up a similar post. I was quoted by a couple of marketing companies in Galway around the 2k,3k,4k mark, which is what I expected, but then was also quoted 12k for the exact same specifications from one other company... so I'd like to get any idea of what I should expect to be paying. The website would in terms of number of layout, pages etc would resemble something similar to the www.sky.com/news website.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

For the property style website I'd probably recommend http://www.davidbehan.com/

He's done some nice work ...
    http://www.gorhomes.ie/
    http://www.raymondpotterton.com/v2/home.asp
    http://www.padraigsmith.com/v1/

To be honest depending on who you go with you'll get quotes anywhere from 3 - 20 k ... (A lot depends on what they are offering as well)

I would say ... get together a full spec of your requirements before approaching anyone .. or else they are just pulling figures out of the air. this may involve sitting down with a designer and going through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Very hard to say without knowing the number of pages. Whether or not you want flash? A shopping cart? Payment processing? What type of traffic do you expect. I put together a functional 3 page website for my brother for under 300 quid which generates a good amount of business for him. But it does not have any of the things listed above so thats why it worked out cheap. I am assuming you mean daft rather than dabs? I would guess 3-20k would be about right. If you want something really good (i.e. as good as daft) be prepared to pay 15-20. Really depends on your budget and how much revenue you are likely to generate from it. If the answer revenue wise is low then 3k is your man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DandyWebmaster

I'd agree, David Behan would be the best bet for the Job... My Home.ie spent something like 4 mil on a redesign and his stuff is often nicer :-)

If you are looking for a fully bespoke system be prepared to part with over €15k, for a system based on something already out there, you could be able to get a site starting at €3k

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Cheers for the mention guys. Much appreciated! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭monkey24

I would be interested in hearing anyone's views about outsourcing the web development abroad. I know of one guy who outsourced his development to South America and got it done quite cheap, the site is pulling in a nice bit of revenue now. Also, another friend is just about to launch his business online, he has done the development to date but plans to outsource it abroad going forward.

Would companies on elance not severely undercut those people operating in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rizwan

hey,

if you looking to outsource then its the best idea... because you will save lot of money. let me know if you want the quote for outsourcing it... just drop me pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭monkey24

hey,

thanks for the reply. I have quite a few contacts already and know how to outsource my project when need be but i'll drop you a PM as i like to ensure i am getting the best deal.
    My initial post was really to suggest that if people are going to get involved in a business, they really need to do the research. You should at least know what is available to you to keep the costs down. Outsourcing will bring up some problems but you need to weigh up the cost savings with those benefits then make a decision. In general the cost of website development in Ireland is way higher than what you could get in Europe.
    rizwan wrote: »
    hey,

if you looking to outsource then its the best idea... because you will save lot of money. let me know if you want the quote for outsourcing it... just drop me pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

I highly recommend www.ODesk.com for outsourcing. The developers and contractors on this site are far better than what you'd find on GetAFreelancer.com etc. Plus you can request that the developer uses the ODesk client which means you get randomly taken screen-shots of your developer's PC for any work he bills.

BTW, I'm not affiliated in any way to ODesk. I've used them before and had a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

For cost & quality I'd outsource abroad (sorry Dave)

If you require a higher level of support, source a local supplier.

Regarding the myhome.ie development, it obviously wasn't for a basic site redesign...

I'd also recommend ODesk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Marcosll

Having paid for the development of a few sites that I could not develop myself, and knowing what to look for in a site I think I can offer some good advice to you.

1) Look at a site you like that is similar and try to figure out who designed it. Sometimes it's not difficult since web design companies usually leave a link to themselves somewhere on the bottom.

2) Make sure you have what you want clearly defined. If you want, for example, and IDX solution with clean url's then make sure you include that in any quote.

3) Go local, try to find an affordable local company to work with if you don't have much experience. Outsourcing to different countries can be a nightmare if you need to communicate a lot and you don't know the technical words for things. It's nice to have someone that understands you or that you can see and chase if need be.

4) Compare and don't be afriad to bargain. Compare prices and get as many quotes as possible. Always try to bargain. This is especially true if you notice something seems excessively priced.

Advertisement