Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowing in Hull(UK)

Options
  • 19-02-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

bit unexpected that, just spoke to a buddy there and they have had heavy snow on and off since 8am.

We missing anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I was reading elsewhere that they had small amounts of snow in a number of places in England from the midlands to the north. They were saying it was probably from ice crystals in the fog.

It's not snow,it's ice cystals from freezing fog.
    It's called Rime

The people who are calling it heavy snow are exaggerating beyond belief.
    They wouldnt know the difference between a cloud and a fluffy terrier tbh.

Read more here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Me wrote:
    What was surprising was the freezing fog this morning,everything super white.I have not seen conditions like this here in a long time.
    What i experienced this morning was similar to what they got in parts of the UK. When walking through it you can feel the ice crystals on your face and it does look like snow on the ground but its not. Tracks and footprints do make an impression in it and is probably why people mistook hoar frost and rime as snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

But isn't rime when the freezing fog builds up on surfaces. Not when it falls from the sky. From the other boards it seems like noone knows what to call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Rime can be either hard or soft,the hard stuff clings onto tree branches etc and will not budge if you shake it. More of the soft stuff here this morning and yes it builds up on surfaces. The super cooled air in freezing fog where temps are much lower than last night values would give the hard rime depositions.

I had to look for and distinguish the shape of my car on the street as each car was the same color this morning,pure white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Unfortunately my colleague was a numpty so there was no chance of a pic via the web.

More chance of a polaroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

"But I had a snowball fight this morning. I'll have to tell people that it was a rimefight. Actually I won't because I don't want to be labelled as any more of a geek than I already amoBlushoClown."

that comment gave me a chuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

IceNNP_450x350.jpg

Durham last night where -10 occured

Mentioned here as was only up the road from hull, snow capital of the world.

Advertisement