Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enlarging Koi Pond Where to get filters/pumps?

Options
  • 19-02-2008 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

We are putting in a new koi pond it will be about 30ft by 60ft(have very big garden) The pump & filter I have now will not be able to cope with the size of the new pond. Is there anywhere I can get a pump & filter big enough to cope with the size of the pond that's under €5,000!!

We want to start digging soon, but there's no point unless can get a filter/pump big enough for it. We currently have a good selection of Koi & fancy goldfish but I feel by this time next year they will be too big for there exsiting pond & I would love to add some butterfly koi.

Any Help would be greatly appriceated!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

You could try The Kinsealy Pet Store. They have loadsa pond equipment there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

We are putting in a new koi pond it will be about 30ft by 60ft(have very big garden) The pump & filter I have now will not be able to cope with the size of the new pond. Is there anywhere I can get a pump & filter big enough to cope with the size of the pond that's under €5,000!!

We want to start digging soon, but there's no point unless can get a filter/pump big enough for it. We currently have a good selection of Koi & fancy goldfish but I feel by this time next year they will be too big for there exsiting pond & I would love to add some butterfly koi.

Any Help would be greatly appriceated!!!
    where are ye from im might be able to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hardly work'n

In Tipperary. We can collect a used or broken one that's repairable for the right price. Just would love to enlarge present pond. The lads would love a bigger place too. They're not crowded yet but in a year or two they will be & rather get it done now. Plus with the extra space they will really grow!!

why dont you try this and give them a ring or email thats where i get all my fish stuff he supplys almoust everthing.

Fins n Things

Address: Unit 20 Midleton Business Prk, Dwyer's Road
    Town: Midleton
    County: Cork
    Phone: 021 4858889
    Fax: www.finsnthings.ie
    URL:
    E-Mail: Click here to send e-mail!
    or try adverts.ie
    DoneDeal.ie

Thanks will give them a ring. I have searched the internet & they just don't have anything big enough! I may end up getting two pumps & two filter systems but just don't know how that would work or if it would even work!!!

Thanks Again Will Ring today

• Advertisement

any luck mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

The pump you will have to buy but for the filter you could do what we did and make your own. We bought a tank like you'd have in your attic, bored 2 holes for pipes, one at the top and one at the bottom. Drill some holes in the top pipe to let the water out and some in the bottom pipe to let the water in, then fill it with layers of gravel and sand (can't remember if there were any other layers of stuff). Get something else to act as a lid (we used a large piece of clear plastic, I'm not sure if it was clear by intent or by accident. Believe that more or less sums up the construction.
    It seemed to do the trick.

farohar wrote: »
    The pump you will have to buy but for the filter you could do what we did and make your own. We bought a tank like you'd have in your attic, bored 2 holes for pipes, one at the top and one at the bottom. Drill some holes in the top pipe to let the water out and some in the bottom pipe to let the water in, then fill it with layers of gravel and sand (can't remember if there were any other layers of stuff). Get something else to act as a lid (we used a large piece of clear plastic, I'm not sure if it was clear by intent or by accident. Believe that more or less sums up the construction.
    It seemed to do the trick.

I will be giving that a try this evening. I'd say we have all the parts around the place. What size pump did you get? We start digging this weekend if the weather holds out. Did you use anything to prime the filter? Or just let it run. I will be looking up on the internet building your own filter see if anything else comes up. I tried few places that where suggested but the price for the pumps not big enough were very expensive. Figured out it is about 60,000 US GALLONS!!! I think I'll have happy fish.

Thanks again for the suggestion

Advertisement