Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wwiii

Options
  • 19-02-2008 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Given the latest developments in kosovo and the disagreements between members of the UN it got me thinking. Hypothetically,How do you think ww3 would start if it did? Would it be through the tensions in Isreal/Palestine? Would it be as a result of an american allied force invading Iran? Or it would it be military action from serbia into Kosovo?
    Who would be allied with who? Would the japanese side with the americans? Would any country be brave enough to use nuclear weapons?
    Im quite bored as you can see

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Zig wrote:
    Would any country be brave enough to use nuclear weapons?
    Brave isn't the word I would use to describe the use of nuclear weapons.

I vaguely remember a US General being asked
    "What weapons will WWIII be fought with?"
    He replied "I don't know, but I can tell you that WWIV will be fought with sticks and rocks"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

zig wrote: »
    Given the latest developments in kosovo and the disagreements between members of the UN it got me thinking. Hypothetically,How do you think ww3 would start if it did? Would it be through the tensions in Isreal/Palestine? Would it be as a result of an american allied force invading Iran? Or it would it be military action from serbia into Kosovo?
    Who would be allied with who? Would the japanese side with the americans? Would any country be brave enough to use nuclear weapons?
    well the way i see it if ww3 was going to happen it would probably be caused by a terrorist attack(nuclear)or a crazy move from a dictatorship(N.Korea).Russia wont pick a fight with america and vice versa.Even with the whole Serbia/Kosovo thing,no matter how bad it gets and russia blowing off steam neither country is willing to start it off.Israel with american backing is safe and after the yom kippur war the arabs wont start another one.as for allies it depends on who starts the war and for why,but saying that its along the old lines (assuming all out war and no neutrality) then its America(north +most of south) +nato +the rest of the eu countries+rest of common wealth+India+Japan+ Israel V Russia + China + N.Korea+most arab states.
    there are a few I left out buty as you can see its a bit lopsided and as for nukes first by the losing side.First countries to get owned Israel +S.korea+some eastern european.Longest standing U.K and china.
    Anyway thats the way I see it as happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Iran seems to be the biggest concern at the moment, sparked off by an American invasion. The biggest fear would be who Russia and China sided with as they have the nukes and the middle east countries don't. My thoughts are that Russia and China wold stand back, watch the rest of the world destroy itself and then pick over the scraps.

India and Pakistan don't seem to be too worried about what the rest of the world do, their nukes all seem to be poionting at each other. The trouble would be if India threw it's lot in with the Commonwealth and Pakistan saw it as a chance to stick up for the Muslim countries and take the initiative against India.

Other than a nuclear war, I don't see Europe being too involved apart from an extreme terror campaign, it would be mostly contained in the middle east.

If the US really want to invade Iran, it would need to be done with the full backing and support of the Middle East countries such as Syria, Libya, Saudi Arabia as they would be needed to make it a war against Iran, not a war against Islam. I can't see any middle east leader supporting the americans at the moment though as it is already causing enough problems for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭twinytwo

zig wrote: »

the russians will keep flexing their **** till america gets pissed off... then u have an international incident of somesort... russia uses nukes against american targets in europe and america do the same as they dont want to directly hit each other as that would mean destroying their own countries.. but of coarse england and france wont take that lying down... eventually no more world

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Hagar wrote: »
    Brave isn't the word I would use to describe the use of nuclear weapons.

I vaguely remember a US General being asked
    He replied "I don't know, but I can tell you that WWIV will be fought with sticks and rocks"

That was Einstein.

I think the Americans will start this one and wont be able to end it.

It will not be conventional though. So what will be the Parameters for having WWIII? How many countries have to fight?

• Advertisement

That was Einstein.

I think the Americans will start this one and wont be able to end it.

It will not be conventional though. So what will be the Parameters for having WWIII? How many countries have to fight?

i think you should be asking how many wont have to fight.... id say iceland... thats about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

That was Einstein.
    I did say it was a vague memory. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Hagar wrote: »

"I don't know, but I can tell you that WWIV will be fought with sticks and rocks"

Most famously quoted on Operation Flashpoint when you die!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

twinytwo wrote: »
    i think you should be asking how many wont have to fight.... id say iceland... thats about it

They're in NATO, so I'm sure someone will think about them.

Perhaps the Swiss will stay out of it.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

that quote was Albert Einstein and i think iceland will be brought into it cause look at its position it would be vital for american and its european allies but also if it was russia who was attacking then it would be vital to cut europe and usa off and for another key base outside of russia and asia. i also think that south america would get involved and take the chane to get back at the americans, if it was going agaisnt the usa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

World wars are a thing of the past. Nowadays its all about the use of economics, politics and various clandestine happenings.

As for nuclear weapons, they are seen more as a politcal weapon then a military one. In saying that though they would be used if they had to be.

I read a while ago that it is written into NATO's principles that:

We will fight with conventional weapons, until we are losing.
    Then we will use nuclear weapons, until we are losing.
    Then we will destroy the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

duggie-89 wrote: »
    that quote was Albert Einstein and i think iceland will be brought into it cause look at its position it would be vital for american and its european allies but also if it was russia who was attacking then it would be vital to cut europe and usa off and for another key base outside of russia and asia. i also think that south america would get involved and take the chane to get back at the americans, if it was going agaisnt the usa.

The UK-Iceland-Greenland gap is a key part of Nato's defence strategy and Britains key role in the cold war. Being on the bottom end of that may not be a good place to be, neutral or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I read a while ago that it is written into NATO's principles that:

We will fight with conventional weapons, until we are losing.
    Then we will use nuclear weapons, until we are losing.
    Then we will destroy the world.

And these are the same people who are fighting a war on terrorism yes?

Anyway my prediction will be. Frist and Alliance between Serbia and Russia. Obviously Serbia wouldn't be speaking to America like the way they were this week unless they had something up their sleeve because eveyone knows that America would stamp on them in a war, so they'll need the back of Russia if they want to do something like this. Then you have the Middle Eastern countries who are pretty much Anti American except maybe for Pakistan and Turkey, but Iran, Syria and Libya would prboerly form an alliance, thus making the war a two way for the Americans. Since Britain are always fighting by the Americans they'll almost certainly be on America's side not to mention Isreal who'll be brought into the conflict in the Middle East, some other NATO countries may be involved except maybe Ireland, France, Italy and the Benelux countries. North Korea might sieze the chance to get revenge on America since they'll be split and could possibly try to take over Soutg Korea, this will bring asia into the conflict because Ckina will proberly take the side of North Korea and Japan will take the side of South Korea. That's pretty much my prediction of who will fight in the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

They're in NATO, so I'm sure someone will think about them.

Perhaps the Swiss will stay out of it.

NTM
    I remember hearing that the last time around germany didnt invade them because thats where they kept all the art,gold and stuff that they looted from the rest of europe.If thats true i cant imagine them being that useful this time around.Also if europe was the battlefield of lets say NATO v Russia/China I cant see the swiss just sitting there and taking it.I cant see any country taking it without action for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

Looking back, serbia seems to be responsible for every world war and a few other small ones. Maybe the next one will be the whole world getting even with serbia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Or as Bam Bam said, there won't be another world war.

Militaries have moved on from giant fronts, heavily reliant upon artillery followed by infantry attack, or even totally reliant on blitzkrieg. While these still exist to a degree, current economical and political climate will not allow another global scale conflict to break out. Wars will be fought by changing the price of oil. North Korea is a nuclear threat but much outnumbered. Iran doesnt have to be a threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

Depends on how far down the line we're tlakign about. The DPRK has the 3rd largest army in the world. Also the political climate seems to be worsening ATM. What with russia returning to it's old tricks and the overstretched tensions in the middle east and elsewhere. Iran has one of the fastest growing populations in the world, we may be seeing the birth of another world player.

Also the recent burst of self determination could be a potentially destabalizing thing, especially since russia and china rely so heavily on the stability of their large ethnicly diverse populations. If they start to show signs of braking, they could play the nationalism card, which enevitably leads to the marching of jack boots.

I don't see another world war in the conventional sense, in the early 20th century the world was a lot less divided and power was more evenly spread, this facilitated big alliances. There could still be major conflicts and although alliances may be small or only support based, the repruccusions will be felt hard around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

It would all kick off if N.Korea invaded S.Korea.I saw in a documentary there a couple of months ago that N.Korea have been caught numerous times in the past digging tunnels under the 38th parallel.(?)So that,imo, isn't a case of if,more a case 0f when it kicks off!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think China Vs Taiwan will be the next big conflict. China considers Taiwan as a rebel province and does not recognise its independence which is supported by the US.

The Chinese are rapidly building up their navy and will in my opinion, be in a position to form a naval blockade of Taiwan in a number of years.

What happens then - who knows?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

China and the USA would be possibilities.

North and South Korea.

• Advertisement

Kaiser_Sma wrote: »
    Depends on how far down the line we're tlakign about. The DPRK has the 3rd largest army in the world. Also the political climate seems to be worsening ATM. What with russia returning to it's old tricks and the overstretched tensions in the middle east and elsewhere. Iran has one of the fastest growing populations in the world, we may be seeing the birth of another world player.

Also the recent burst of self determination could be a potentially destabalizing thing, especially since russia and china rely so heavily on the stability of their large ethnicly diverse populations. If they start to show signs of braking, they could play the nationalism card, which enevitably leads to the marching of jack boots.

I don't see another world war in the conventional sense, in the early 20th century the world was a lot less divided and power was more evenly spread, this facilitated big alliances. There could still be major conflicts and although alliances may be small or only support based, the repruccusions will be felt hard around the world.

Do u think america and israel would let iran get into a position of power.. i dont think so

Advertisement