Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter and Burning Dump beside DKIT!!!

Options
  • 18-02-2008 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I regularly jog around the college field which is an excellent facility well done to the DKIT Dons!

However, despite the excellent efforts of the college there are two dumps along the perimeter fence.

1. At the Muirhevena Mor side - it's littered with household goods - children's toys / micro waves / fridges etc... It looks like the folks simply throw their rubish over the wall. The field it covered in junk and it looks awful. I once brought a visiting friend over for a walk and was embarassed by the mess.

2. Closer to the college, beside the traveller housing - vans pull up and empty household waste goods - and in the evening dark black clouds rip through the air and the cracking and hissing blows up a toxic plumb which is very dangerous for the public. The nice green perimeter fence is charred along this burning site and I've seen rats hopping about the food waste. From my observations this seems to be part of a business operation as its on such a large scale.

This is a persistant and long term public health issue. I have witnessed this for over two years. I am amazed that this is happening on such a large scale and is going on for such a long time. There is a school and college beside this site and many members of the public also use the facility.

1. Who is responsible for public health and safety issues in Dundalk?

2. Why are they not doing their job?

DK man

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

That's a disgrace alright.

Have you phoned the litter warden at all over the last 2yrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Not over this as I have phoned over another dumping incident nearer to where I live and after about 5 phone calls over 4 weeks I got a call from a less than pleasant individual who didn't appreciate my civic mindedness - he told me that he had 'done that job for me' and demanded that I ring the council to tell the person in the environment section that the job was now done?

I didn't - but this incident has left me disillusioned with the service that I pay my taxes for.

I was made feel that I was a nuisence by reporting a litter black spot. I am a reasonable person and would have cleaned the area myself if the council provided me with a skip. I was hoping that they would go through the black bags and identify the culprits and prosecute the offenders.

However, maybe I should make a call - do you think that they don't know?

This is a very public place - it has been going on for a long time - I assumed that they would be very aware of this.

The college are now hosting many inter-college games and the facility is used by many football clubs for training. I'm sure this is a big concern for DKIT who have transformed to become a top class third level institute.

DK man

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

That's very poor treatment. I would certainly just keep reporting such dumping. It's the only way the council will clear it. I would try the litter warden though. He/She may be able to find the culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

DK man wrote: »
    Not over this as I have phoned over another dumping incident nearer to where I live and after about 5 phone calls over 4 weeks I got a call from a less than pleasant individual who didn't appreciate my civic mindedness - he told me that he had 'done that job for me' and demanded that I ring the council to tell the person in the environment section that the job was now done?

I didn't - but this incident has left me disillusioned with the service that I pay my taxes for.

I was made feel that I was a nuisence by reporting a litter black spot. I am a reasonable person and would have cleaned the area myself if the council provided me with a skip. I was hoping that they would go through the black bags and identify the culprits and prosecute the offenders.

However, maybe I should make a call - do you think that they don't know?

This is a very public place - it has been going on for a long time - I assumed that they would be very aware of this.

The college are now hosting many inter-college games and the facility is used by many football clubs for training. I'm sure this is a big concern for DKIT who have transformed to become a top class third level institute.

DK man

Laughed out loud when i read this, cause i had the same reaction on numerous occasions. the person in question thinks he's one of the dukes of hazard, he gets a call, sticks his little yellow light on the roof, comes round the corner on two wheels and attempts to slide himself over the bonnet. then he goe's to the offending party, a woman in a night gown opens the door, he chats for a while. comes back to the complanant and says, 'oh i got that sorted for you, she's a nice wee girl, leave it with me'. and the problem continues........................................ i've had cause in my job to ring him numerous times and it's always the same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

To get it sorted, your best bet is to go to a local councillor, they usually will help you out. Naughton close is a disgrace, with what is allowed to happen there, the laws of the country dont seem to apply there. I wouldnt fancy living in college heights or college manor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Go to the local TD'd/councillors? which friggin ones? there's morgan who doesn't even live in the town (and is useless anyway). the other fella, Ahern, who - not to put too fine a word on it it TOO busy!! with ministerial business to concern himself with the woes of the folks who put him there, when McGahon retired Dundalk went to crap...literally.

My original post is by no means a swipe at the residents who live in Naughton Close.

I find the people I have encountered from the development are quite friendly and I notice that the houses and caravans are very well kept!

It is however no doubt that some of the residents are the culprits in this instance. I think it is more important to ask why the council are not doing their job? These houses are presumable owned by the council and any landlord would ensure that their tenants are taking care of their property.

I am not a chemical engineer but the toxins that are released from burning the type and quantities are carcinogenic and a danger to the travellers and their children as well as others in the vacinity. This is incineration on a small scale but still a significant scale. Many of the items that are burned are recycled free of charge in the facility on the Newry Rd.

It just saddens me that we as a nation don't seem to be able to do basic things like keep our streets clean and take pride in our environment. I am just back from France and you notice that their streets are much cleaner and I doubt that the French councils would allow the above to take place in their towns.

Does anyone clean the street of the town and if so how often is this done?
    I don't mean the town centre as this is being very well looked after and full credit for the efforts. But the streets in the outskirts of the town. Did you ever notice that when the grass cutters cut the grass they don't lift the papers or brush up the grass and the result is that the place looks worse than it did before with litter and grass on the roads and paths.

Why? Is is very simple to do the basic things - #its a bit like the buses and trains issue and the health service - we get it arse-ways.

I am thinkin of setting up a wep-site to take pictures and up load vids to highlight the litter problems and also the burning problem that was highlighted above.

My hope is that by doing this some action will be taken....

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

You ask why it is so difficult to do these seemingly easy tasks.. well i personally believe that the town as a whole has a laissez-faire attitude to dumping (fly tipping etc) and illegal burning - the "so long as its not on my doorstep" attitude prevails. T'is a pity though the town has come on well the last few years. Go for the website though it sounds like a good plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

DK Man, great idea with the site, I may be able to send some pics your way. Actually I was surprised to see that DLK lifted an anti litter award recently. Obviously only the main streets were judged.

Another eye sore is graffiti little seems to be done in terms of removing it but if graffiti appeared calling the town clerk a useless f##ker the council would be on the job almost immediately.

By the way I dont think anyone should do such a thing.

Anyone got any tips in creating a wed site?

I did a course in dream weaver a few years ago but never actually created a full web site.....

I suppose a blog wud be the easiest - but would it be sufficient....

Is there any new software for web dev..

HTML is supposed to be the lang for the pros.. Is this hard to learn anyone know any good HTML books..

Thanks for your above posts -

Long live the Town....

DK man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dundalk1 woman

indiewindy wrote: »
    To get it sorted, your best bet is to go to a local councillor, they usually will help you out. Naughton close is a disgrace, with what is allowed to happen there, the laws of the country dont seem to apply there. I wouldnt fancy living in college heights or college manor

the laws of the country do apply to Naughton Close, i live in Naughton Close and have witnessed non travellers dumping late at night in Naughton Close, (reg numbers have been taken and passed to relevent persons) and i would agree with you not wanting to live in collage hights or manor with the carry on i see going on in there, and the bonfires on their green areas to burn their rubbish.

DK man wrote: »
    I regularly jog around the college field which is an excellent facility well done to the DKIT Dons!

However, despite the excellent efforts of the college there are two dumps along the perimeter fence.

1. At the Muirhevena Mor side - it's littered with household goods - children's toys / micro waves / fridges etc... It looks like the folks simply throw their rubish over the wall. The field it covered in junk and it looks awful. I once brought a visiting friend over for a walk and was embarassed by the mess.

2. Closer to the college, beside the traveller housing - vans pull up and empty household waste goods - and in the evening dark black clouds rip through the air and the cracking and hissing blows up a toxic plumb which is very dangerous for the public. The nice green perimeter fence is charred along this burning site and I've seen rats hopping about the food waste. From my observations this seems to be part of a business operation as its on such a large scale.

This is a persistant and long term public health issue. I have witnessed this for over two years. I am amazed that this is happening on such a large scale and is going on for such a long time. There is a school and college beside this site and many members of the public also use the facility.

1. Who is responsible for public health and safety issues in Dundalk?

2. Why are they not doing their job?

DK man

I live in Naughton Close and am not goin to try to deny that some of the litter and burning problems are caused by some of the less desireable residents, but i will not let the residents take full blame when i know and have witnessed first hand non residents and non travellers dumping and burning their rubbish and unwanted funiture in Naughton Close, this problem has been raised by residents with the council and is being delt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Does Jimmy Knickers still live in Naughtons Close?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

the laws of the country do apply to Naughton Close, i live in Naughton Close and have witnessed non travellers dumping late at night in Naughton Close, (reg numbers have been taken and passed to relevent persons) and i would agree with you not wanting to live in collage hights or manor with the carry on i see going on in there, and the bonfires on their green areas to burn their rubbish.

You should get onto one of the local papers and let them photgragh this going on and publish the photos so they can be shamed

TommyT wrote: »
    Does Jimmy Knickers still live in Naughtons Close?

Who are you talking about?
    Noone of that name living here.

indiewindy wrote: »
    You should get onto one of the local papers and let them photgragh this going on and publish the photos so they can be shamed

I have been in touch with them and they are going to do an article on the dumping.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Who are you talking about?
    Noone of that name living here.

Big Jimmy McDonagh. For some reason he is known as Jimmy Knickers.

Advertisement