Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trap or sporter

Options
  • 18-02-2008 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a 686 onyx sporter withn 28" barrels I bought it 3 years ago when i started shooting, but I now want to change up to something a little better of a fit, as the stock is to short for me. I've been shooting mostly DTL but would like to try some of the other disciplines. Should I get a trap gun or a sporter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

why change if your hitting clays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 galway ducks

I borrowed a different gun at a shoot on sunday and went from droping 2 and 2 half birds to a clear round on a 25 bird dtl layout when you multiply that up to a hundred bird layout its a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 john mcvey

i use a 682 gold trap for clays and with the little extra weight it makes a big difference in comps,
    iff you are using for both trap and rough shooting a trap gun is a bit heavy,
    and the one you have is a good compromise,

get yourself a trap gun iff you can afford to,
    you will get consistently better scores,

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

john mcvey wrote: »
    i use a 682 gold trap for clays and with the little extra weight it makes a big difference in comps,
    iff you are using for both trap and rough shooting a trap gun is a bit heavy,
    and the one you have is a good compromise,

get yourself a trap gun iff you can afford to,
    you will get consistently better scores,

:D

I am look for a good clay gun. Had a look at a 682 gold trap on Saturday it was €1800. It was a used gun and was in very good conduction. Do you think this is a good price.

If I don't get one of these was think of getting new Browning or Winchester .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Try both and see how you go and what your happy with the fit, weight, cartridge and choke combination could all add up.

Some people prefer trap guns. I know a chap and all he uses for all clay disciplines is his Gti (Browning not volkswagon:D) 3/4 and full

I use a sporter for all my disciplines 30 inch barrells, When shooting sporting 1/4 and 1/2 when I shoot DTL 1/2 & 3/4 or ABT 3/4 & full. The gun fits and swings well. I have consistent score on the line, pity the sporting couldnt be better.

When I shoot skeet I pull out my Berretta 391 auto (game gun) love autos I do:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

I have a 686 onyx sporter withn 28" barrels I bought it 3 years ago when i started shooting, but I now want to change up to something a little better of a fit, as the stock is to short for me. I've been shooting mostly DTL but would like to try some of the other disciplines. Should I get a trap gun or a sporter?

i was on the road your on a good few years ago .i shot a onyx for years in 28 inch .and a fine gun it was too , but time to move on .first of all how tall are you ,how strong are you if tall and strong a 32 inch 682 with ajustable stock would be my pick for you .i shoot a kemen trap for sporting ,dtl ,trench ,skeet .pm me if you wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

I borrowed a different gun at a shoot on sunday and went from droping 2 and 2 half birds to a clear round on a 25 bird dtl layout when you multiply that up to a hundred bird layout its a big difference.

If you had a clear round with the borrowed gun, then maybe you should just buy what every that gun is!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

First thing you do is get in touch with a proper gun fitter or a coach. Fit is more important than price when shooting competively. A coach can also check your eye dominance ....you can't shoot what you can't see!

Advertisement