Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmat

Options
  • 18-02-2008 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi all. A few questions regarding the GMATS...
    1. What is a good amount of time to prepare? I have 8 weeks with about 20 hrs a week = 190 hours
    2. What books/websites did ppl find good? I have the official quant. and verbal review; sufficient?
    3. Does anyone know approx the min score for quant finance in Smurfit UCD? I know there are many other factors considered for admission but is there a min GMAT score required?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

gob wrote: »
    Hi all. A few questions regarding the GMATS...
    1. What is a good amount of time to prepare? I have 8 weeks with about 20 hrs a week = 190 hours
    2. What books/websites did ppl find good? I have the official quant. and verbal review; sufficient?
    3. Does anyone know approx the min score for quant finance in Smurfit UCD? I know there are many other factors considered for admission but is there a min GMAT score required?
    Thanks

190 hours should be more than enough time to prepare. (Though if 8 * 20 = 190 wasn't a typo then you might find the GMAT quant a bit challenging :) )

I found the official review guide helpful (see it on Amazon here) - not sure if this is the one you have, but it sounds similar? I also found it really useful to do one of the practice exams from GMAC first, to help figure out what I should concentrate on. You can find these sample/practice exams at www.mba.com.

Can't help you with the GMAT requirements for Smurfit's quant finance course, sorry. I know they had a suggested GMAT score for their MBA on the website, so maybe check there? Or you could phone the admissions office - I'm sure they would be happy to tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭leonliang

To get in Smurfit Quantitative Finance, you need to get 650 - 670.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 gob

leonliang wrote: »
    To get in Smurfit Quantitative Finance, you need to get 650 - 670.
    It says on the website that a high score on the mathematical (quant) section of the GMAT is required, however the GMAT score is a combination of the verbal and quant score. Should I spend more time on quant section possibly to the detriment of my overall score or try a more balanced approach? Also does anyone know how they feel about engineers?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Also does anyone know how they feel about engineers?

The Master of Management Science in Smurfit has a lot of engineers, and several of the subjects are the same as the Quantitative Finance. Maybe worth a look too and as it is more computer based, the fees are subsidised to €1600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 scobybreezly

Hi,
    been reading all the threads on here on mba / gmat in recent week and some great info (~ thanks cerebus!!)

Wondering has anyone had experience of attending a physical course by a test provider (like Kaplan? or similar) in Dublin, or one of the online ones?
    While it's a hefty investment, am considering it might be an option as is hard to get into the level of prep I think I will need. Aiming for a good score as potentially applying to the major US schools, insead, etc.

Anyone have feedback / stories / comments? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Wondering has anyone had experience of attending a physical course by a test provider (like Kaplan? or similar) in Dublin, or one of the online ones?
    While it's a hefty investment, am considering it might be an option as is hard to get into the level of prep I think I will need. Aiming for a good score as potentially applying to the major US schools, insead, etc.

Anyone have feedback / stories / comments? Thanks!

I have heard that the value of the Kaplan courses can be very dependent on the quality of the instructor you get (probably the same with all the various review courses I guess).

Manhattan GMAT offer an online course that is supposed to be good, and it involves live interaction once a week. That might be something to consider, unless you think you will find actually going into a classroom with others helpful in getting yourself focused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 weezawalker

I took the Kaplan GMAT course at Smurfit and it was well worth the money...My score went up from 510 to 700, which was a level i never thought I would achieve :). You get the classes, but you also get an online course with it which is really good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

I took the Kaplan GMAT course at Smurfit and it was well worth the money...My score went up from 510 to 700, which was a level i never thought I would achieve :). You get the classes, but you also get an online course with it which is really good.

Mind you, in general on the GMAT the second time one takes it, regardless, the score goes up!
    Personally, I wouldnt advise too much money being spent on courses. Get a DVD/CD and use that.

Advertisement