Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VS2005 - only publish part of the website.

Options
  • 18-02-2008 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

When i publish my site for the first time it takes ages because the whole fckeditor folder needs to be uploaded.

Now that it's uploaded i dont need to upload it again, but i will need to upload other sections many many times again.

When i publish the site, i just click publish web site but it publishes the whole site and deletes the existing content.

How can i publish everything except the fckeditor folder ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Short answer you cant

Because by its definition publish is final.. as in replace all

But you can run post build events to deploy certain files to the webserver if you so wish or build a batch file that you can run to do a "partial publish" option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

i vaguely remember hearing that the MSDeploy tool will do it ...

too busy to verify it though :-)

http://blogs.iis.net/msdeploy/archive/2008/01/22/welcome-to-the-web-deployment-team-blog.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

I use the fixed naming and single page assemblies option when publishing in VS2005. This results in a separate assembly (dll) being created for each page in your website and also a single assembly is created for any code files in your app_code folder. I would publish the application files to a local directory and then upload any files which have changed.

This means if I need to make a change to the application I just rebuild the application and upload the relevant assembly/page which I have changed. The app_code related assembly would also need to be uploaded with every change. Hope that helps...

Advertisement