Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's "The View" to discuss "The Wire" S5 - Tues @ 23:15

Options
  • 18-02-2008 12:37am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up - I saw in the paper that, among other things, "The View" will be discussing "The Wire"'s fifth season this Tuesday @ 23:15 on RTE1.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What's the View? Never heard of it before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It is a programme where a panel of 5 people (I think) discuss books, films, plays and so on. Will they spoil the series thus far?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It is a programme where a panel of 5 people (I think) discuss books, films, plays and so on. Will they spoil the series thus far?

If there are doing it for the lead up to TG4 showing The Wire I would hope not. Maybe they wont give to much away becasue it hasnt aired here yet. If it had done it maybe a different stroy. I might record it and watch it later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

The View = John Kelly plus a panel of 3 guests.

I like John Kelly but often the panelists are talking through their rear end. Anyhow my guess is there won't be any spoilers, I would say that the only shows they can legally discuss are those up to the end of Season 4 - it'll probably be more of the recent media features (finally) jumping on the bandwagon and praising the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I watched it for the first time last week and David Norris was on it. What an annoying idiotic person. How is this guy a senator? I don't think he understood what movies he was watching when he was reviewing them. Specifically Juno. The woman liked it,the other guy didn't and bot gave good reasons why. Norris babbled on incoherently like an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

just watched it not a ****ing word about the wire:mad:

What paper did you read it in ixoy? Because we may have to burn all of its copies!!! Watched that terrible show with no mention of the Wire :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

tvnutz wrote: »
    What paper did you read it in ixoy? Because we may have to burn all of its copies!!! Watched that terrible show with no mention of the Wire :(
    Sunday Times! Boo hiss at them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Apparently it will be discussed in next week's The View (Tues 26th) according to that stupendously intellectual publication known at The RTE Guide.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Apparently it will be discussed in next week's The View (Tues 26th) according to that stupendously intellectual publication known at The RTE Guide.

Do I risk sitting through the drivel that is that show to see if they discuss it? And it will probably be a bunch of idiots who have never seen the show before season 5 so can't actually give a properly informed opinion.

• Advertisement

Do I risk sitting through the drivel that is that show to see if they discuss it? And it will probably be a bunch of idiots who have never seen the show before season 5 so can't actually give a properly informed opinion.

After what you said the last time I wont be watching it. I might record it in the event some on else watches it and says whether its worth it or not

Do I risk sitting through the drivel that is that show to see if they discuss it?
    They usually give a preview of the items they will be discussing at the start of the show.

I'll probably tune it out of curiosity but I can't really see how the panellists can review it unless they've been watching it for some time or at least watched a full season.
    They might end up getting it horribly wrong like this guardian reviewer who based her review on one or two episodes and got mauled for her troubles - deservedly so :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

They're talking about it, right now!

We were a week off.:rolleyes:

The woman they had on was retarded, I think. There was definitely something wrong with her, anyway. The three guys absolutely loved the show, though.

Ye they all gave it great reviews with the exception of the woman who is the definition of what is wrong with tv viewers. Her complaints were that it was too hard to understand,i.e. too complex and it took a lot of work to watch it. Also that it was basically too sad,that everything was too depressing and how it shows how terrible the world can be. Well duh,it is the most realistic show on tv and that is what makes it brilliant.

The other guys got that,the American chap mentioning that it was novalistic as the Wire was intended to be and how it dealt with institutions,Brian Keenan saying how everything is not tied up,all the loose ends are not fixed,just like real life and how general cops v bad guy shows never interest him bu the Wire sucked him in.

They also mentioned Season 5 wouldn't be on TG4 until the summer.

The segment is on the RTE website - http://www.rte.ie/tv/theview/ or you can use the direct link - http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/228-2342311-512-288.smil

Tbh I doubt Nuala O'Faolain watched a full series because she was so off the mark with most of her comments and seemed to resent that amount of hours she had already spent watching the program.
    If she's going to review something then she should at least watch the thing and I doubt she would have reviewed a book, film or play on the show without watching or reading them fully.

John Kelly, Brian Keenan and Richard Delevan were clearly fans of the show and they should really have called her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

DeepBlue wrote: »

John Kelly, Brian Keenan and Richard Delevan were clearly fans of the show and they should really have called her out.

Not something they would ever, ever condescend to do on The View. :eek: I saw the programme myself and thought her contribution on that part was odd but she did concede a dislike for it. Sometimes that's just the way it goes however brilliant people think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'll take a look at this on the site if I get the chance. Is it worth having a look at?

Advertisement