Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairgreen Four Storey Car Park

Options
  • 17-02-2008 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭

Was browsing online today and seen that a few weeks ago carlow county council granted permission for a four story car park in the fair green shopping centre. The proposed car park will also be built alongside four double height retail units that have also being given the go-ahead by carlow county council.

If this is to go through it could potentially have a massive positive effect in the fairgreen all round. The shopping centre would benefit with a minimum of four new shops being introduced into the new units so we could attract more decent name brands like river island,next, etc. It would provide a few extra jobs too which is always a plus. Also the new car-park would be a welcome addition to the fair green. It could relief the amount the car-park currently there of some of the pressure it is under on occasions.

Also maybe with the introduction of the car-park may see opposition to the new cineplex die down as there is a load of opposition because the cineplex is supposedly in the process of getting ready to open even though it has not provided any car parking spaces of their own rather they are relying on the spaces of the fair-green. The car-park may just keep the objections at bay. Anyone else hear anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

One of the main reasons the cinema never went ahead was due to lack of car parking space and I think if the fair green provided more space the cinema would go ahead. I noticed 2 weeks ago that there is planning permission on all the units over where the cinema is going looking for retention of the height of the building and conversion into a cinema. Didnt see the car park planning permission though. Will be interesting to see if there are many objections to the multi storey. Would defo welcome it though as its crazy over there on the weekends trying to get into the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

When the bypass opens there should be less traffic going through the town, so hopefully that will help ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wasnt there also something about the building being too high? As in not the same height as the plans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Trilla wrote: »
    Wasnt there also something about the building being too high? As in not the same height as the plans

Yes, heard that also.

So where exactly will the car park be? The "road" down to Burrin St/Abrakebabra seems a waste of a lot of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Yes, heard that also.

So where exactly will the car park be? The "road" down to Burrin St/Abrakebabra seems a waste of a lot of space.

The actual story regarding the height issue is that a local resident had complained at the time that the cinema was blocking the sun-light coming in her back window so i guess that would make her a resident of the estate near the bus terminal. But she complained about the lack of sunlight getting through due to the building and when estimated how much too high the cinema was it was only 3ft too high. It would pay for the council to move this disgrundled resident rather than halt the much needed cinema's opening. This is the story regarding that as i know it to be. Anyway that matter has been sorted now it must have been a mutual agreement between the developers and this resident or something and now all units in the building must apply for retentsion which will be passed now eventually thank god. Date for cinema opening was not disclosed though. Suppose the cinema's unit is the only one depending on retention solely as it operates on the third floor of the complex.

Regarding the location of the car-park i cannot confirm where it will be located but would be a much needed asset. The "road" down to Burrin St/Abrakebabra is a waste i agree and wold be an ideal location. I wouldn't mind losing the couple of hundred car parking spaces there for a few months if it meant the fairgreen gained a four storey carpark... I don't think there is anywhere else it could really be located to be honest.

• Advertisement

I would say it will be located behind abra most logical spot really.
    I think the whole access to the fairgreen is a botched job really, the queue stretches from the Kilkenny road all the way up to the entrance to the fairgreen on Sat/Sun why people dont park in the Woodies car park which is usually empty amazes me?

fitzyshea wrote: »
    I would say it will be located behind abra most logical spot really.
    I think the whole access to the fairgreen is a botched job really, the queue stretches from the Kilkenny road all the way up to the entrance to the fairgreen on Sat/Sun why people dont park in the Woodies car park which is usually empty amazes me?

That carpark over near woodies is an utter waste. Yeah the entrance to fairgreen could do with being redeveloped too imo..

Why is it a waste? Its only 2 mins away from Fairgreen less if you run.

Sure its not being used like it is a waste of car park spaces and they wont wouln't rezone the land to let in new companies either.

stick-dan wrote: »
    Sure its not being used like it is a waste of car park spaces and they wont wouln't rezone the land to let in new companies either.

Thats why I said I dont understand why people dont use it. Its only 2 mins away from the fairgreen. You could park there and walk over. Anyway the vacant site is to be used as a new road onto Blackbog road.

• Advertisement

Ah very good didn't know that thanks fitzyshea!

stick-dan wrote: »
    Was browsing online today and seen that a few weeks ago carlow county council granted permission for a four story car park in the fair green shopping centre.

By the way where abouts did you see this?

damn sorry man i didn't out up the link to it. I'll check my history and find out for you.

I am 95% sure it was from the carlow nationalist site or the carlow people becasue i knew i clicked on it from a live feed and thats the only two feeds i receive apart from soccer. So check their sites.If i find the link again i'll post it up. The article i think was dated for about the 2nd or so of january butnoone on the carlow forum had addressed it so i brought it up. I'll work on getting the link for you ok?

Thanks Ill take a look at the papers websites

hey there, found the link there now.

here you go this is the link

Advertisement