Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair Dye

Options
  • 17-02-2008 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭

Right,

Me and friends are attending a big fancy ball on Tuesday night and I've received a bit of a dare to dye my hair for it. We took a vote and moderately bright blue has won out. I'm just looking for something that will last the night but don't mind if it takes a while (ideally less than a week or so) to wash out.

What brand should I buy? Where in Dublin city centre should I buy it? Is bleaching it necessary first? Any idea how much it's going to set me back?

I'm 20 and brown-haired, btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

You will definitly have to bleach your hair first in order for the dye to take......

Asha at Stephens Green Shopping Centre and Ad Hoc in Temple Bar have a number of different brands to choose from.....

I cant remember the brand off hand, ... But it comes in a tub rather than a bottle and only costs around 8euros... I found it to be really good when I used to dye my own hair....

It may take more than a week to run out, but not to long...

You can also go to a hair dressers and have Crazy Colour applied but this is much more costly....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've always found these colours pretty tricky, if you're not really careful you'll have a blue scalp for months!

+1 for Asha, they do a great little tube of stuff for under a tenner

but you will have to bleach your hair first

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Why don't you just use a spray. Do you really want to have bleached hair for months? And the tint doesn't just fade like that, you might have light blue hair for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Thanks for all the replies, folks.
    Pythia wrote: »
    Why don't you just use a spray.
    Just to clarify: I'm not wed to the thought of a dye. What are these sprays you speak of?
    Do you really want to have bleached hair for months?
    Not at all. As I say I don't mind left-overs for a week or two but ideally it's a for-one-night-only thing. It's not a style change I'm looking for!
    And the tint doesn't just fade like that, you might have light blue hair for a while.
    But not with a spray?

A friend mentioned something about a dye that would be all gone after about five washes, anyone know anything about these?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

brown is too dark for blue to show up without using bleach first.

you could use a temp spray that'll coat the hair, kinda like paint. you'll get it in a joke shop and it'll make your hair crusty until you wash it and then it'll all wash out.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

The stuff in Asha isn't the may west - go to Terri Sales on Middle Abbey Street and buy Crazy Colour in the bright pink bottle. And yes, you will need to bleach your hair first. As its blue yer going for - you will need nearly white hair for it to turn out right, and not a manky greeny bluey colour.

I would recommend you buy the blue spray you can get in boots though - lasts for the night, and will wash out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Go with spray.

If you bleach and then dye it, it won't fade out, it will have to grow out. Then you'll either have to put up with it for a long time, re-dye it with a permanent brown dye, or shave your head. Those are your options.

Pop into the joke shop on South King Street (near Wagamama and the Gaiety) and buy spray-on dye (edit: or Boots - I didn't know they stocked it). This will wash out in one go. However do not get it on your clothes as it may stain them.

I demand photos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Boots do a range of spray in colours and gel colours - does an ok job if its just a temp job - add colour last after doing everything else to your hair and makeup, it will make your hair very hard - won't be able to brush or add any other products after

Directions is the brand of hair colour a few people have mentioned - for light blue you would need to bleech your hair first for that kind of dye to work if you use it on your hair as is it will look like you have a blue rinse in your hair [like old ladies use] thou only in certain lights rest of the time it will look the same. Also it says it takes 6 to 8 washes to come out but depending on the colour you use and state of your hair it can take longer. You can get it in a bunch of places in the city center [some already mentioned] Manic Panic is another brand but haven't seen that around for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Wow I'm glad I stumbled on this. That'll be hilarious at the thing tonight.

If you use spray I imagine it'll end up all over your tux, plus I can't see it showing properly unless you bleach first.

I'll do it for you if you want, and dye it back to something like your normal colour after. I went through a phase in my teenage years (2-3 years of it) of a lot of hair dye so I have an idea what I'm doing.

But wanna be quick about it, only 6 hours til the ball

Advertisement