Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choose your own mobile number

Options
  • 16-02-2008 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Has anyone heard of being able to choose your own number?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jonny v

Kerrigan wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of being able to choose your own number?

Hi Kerrigan,
    yeah you can now do this with O2. You put some personal preferences in a search engine and it offers you all sorts of great numbers that are available.
    You need to visit the store though, not available on line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kerrigan

jonny v wrote: »
    Hi Kerrigan,
    yeah you can now do this with O2. You put some personal preferences in a search engine and it offers you all sorts of great numbers that are available.

Thanks, i'll take a look today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

jonny v wrote: »
    Hi Kerrigan,

The sytem matched my date of birth 21 09 ?? which is really easy to remember.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jonny v

Kerrigan wrote: »
    The sytem matched my date of birth 21 09 ?? which is really easy to remember.

Thanks

Mighty!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

I remember years back when I worked in the phone business. when o2 launched first and before you could keep your numbewe used to be able to pull any number that we wanted ifvit had not BEng allocated to an account/phone pack.
    I. remember connecting a couple of phones for guys in Dublin sobthat their mobile phones had the same number as their home telephone numbers, the only difference was the area code.

not as much choice these days bit there is bound to be a still few good numbers floating around

nanook wrote: »
    I remember years back when I worked in the phone business. when o2 launched first and before you could keep your numbewe used to be able to pull any number that we wanted ifvit had not BEng allocated to an account/phone pack.
    I. remember connecting a couple of phones for guys in Dublin sobthat their mobile phones had the same number as their home telephone numbers, the only difference was the area code.

not as much choice these days bit there is bound to be a still few good numbers floating around

This new o2 system lets you search their database to match things like that. People want certain numbers for all kinds of reasons so it's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭pawn33

Sorry for digging up the past.

Anyone know if any mobile operators offer this? I was away for awhile and my number went out of use, support says too late to resurrect, it is still unassigned though. so any possibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Go down to Tesco and you can flick through the sim cards, numbers are on the label. You might get lucky with a "nice" number

• Registered Users Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Can you not go to a different operator and say 08XXXXXXXX is my number I'd like to port it, or will the current operator block that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Technically it is not your number though. It was your number.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18 EIapprentice

No, Number needs to be active to verify before porting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It won't be verifiable so it won't work.

Also, the chances are at this stage that any "good" numbers are allocated anyway.

Some years ago in work I was able to request Three to assign an 087 number that we had had a decade earlier on O2 that hadn't been reassigned; but it had been ours in the first place. I imagine that bit was critical considering it was an Vodafone (well, Eircell) number originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Thanks for the answers, I kinda figured that but wanted to be 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭beachhead

I picked 2 numbers years-one for myself and 1 for family.Originally 02 and Meteor.Shops always had a list of "free" numbers but you had to ask.Eir still do it if you ask to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rhinosaurious

When I was getting my number in Three in the shop I asked for a custom number and they pulled out their entire stock of SIM cards on the table and I was able to flick through and pick a handy number.

Advertisement