Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mmo(rpg)+skill=?

Options
  • 16-02-2008 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Yo dudes

Ive been browsing the webs for the past hour or so looking for a MMO that actually requires some skill or tactics, but my search aint going too good !

The only stuff ive found so far mostly games that are still in development.. like these..
    www.huxley-evolved.com - Sci-fi FPS
    http://www.jumpgateevolution.com/ - Space shooter
    http://flysis.com/ - Flight shooter (Open Beta)

I suppose im looking for a faced paced game where have to aim in stead of the point, highlight target, click deathray.. point, .. etc

I used to play this a few years ago...until WoW was released http://ng.neocron.com/ it is a faced paced FPS RPG.... but I wouldnt call 300 or less people on the 1 server at peak time a MASSIVE-MO and also it does suffer from some technical issues that you can overlook if you really get into the game. Heres a lil video to show you what its like...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKAG2ddqcpA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmCSfsABx4c&NR=1

SO !!!! let me know if you are aware of any more exsisting games or games in development that require some sort of skill .. or try and convince me that a game like WoW is not just about better items or out numbering your opponent :D:D.. I am currently playing Eve online but I wont say thats about outnumbering or having a bigger ship yet !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

planetside, while a tad dated now and suffering from dwindling numbers is still a pretty good game, still worthy of subscribing to at any rate

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Tabla Rasa is also similar to what you described, although to a much lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Ultima Online is /was

On the official EA game servers its become less skilfull nowadays with the changes they make.
    There are a couple of free servers with good population and constant pvp.

The ERA of the game you are looking for is called Age of Shadows (aos) which unfortunately narrows down the list.

Its fast pace and intense. Requires timing and learning of spells you cast or weapon hits, depending on what character you make, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Depends on what you understand skill to be. Opted Group 8 Vs 8 PvP in DAoC is or was by far the most demanding game I have ever played. You had to understand your role, the role of your teammates, the role of your enemy, have tactics in place for all eventualities and all the differing group set ups. Not only did you have to understand the role of your enemy but you had to know his character class inside out .. you had to know what he was going to do before he was going to do it. You also had to good at thinking on your feet and adapting to new situations. Played the game for years and still hadnt perfected playing my class.

I have played some WoW pvp at lvl60 but it didnt come close to DAoC PvP .. If you want a game with skill .. check out Warhammer Online when it comes out .. all the old DAoC PvP junkies will be there for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

To be honest none of them that I've encountered required any real skill to play, just the willingness to grind, grind and grind some more (this was required regardless of skill, just a bit more grinding was required to make up for the lack of skill from what I could see). While you can get to the top levels with no skill, I still think to be one of the best PvP (and in some cases PvE) players you'll need to have some ability and skill to depend on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Playboy wrote: »
    Depends on what you understand skill to be. Opted Group 8 Vs 8 PvP in DAoC is or was by far the most demanding game I have ever played. You had to understand your role, the role of your teammates, the role of your enemy, have tactics in place for all eventualities and all the differing group set ups. Not only did you have to understand the role of your enemy but you had to know his character class inside out .. you had to know what he was going to do before he was going to do it. You also had to good at thinking on your feet and adapting to new situations. Played the game for years and still hadnt perfected playing my class.

I have played some WoW pvp at lvl60 but it didnt come close to DAoC PvP .. If you want a game with skill .. check out Warhammer Online when it comes out .. all the old DAoC PvP junkies will be there for sure.

Arena at 70 is nothing like any PVP I've experienced in WoW.
    5v5 has the most balance (or is the least imbalanced)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Once you add 'skills' and 'unlocks' to a game the skill requirement largely goes out the window, at least as far as kills and advancement go.
    It really comes down to who has the least amount of a social life and can grind the most to get the biggest guns, flashiest spells biggest boots etc.

Planetside was nice in that even noob soldiers could avail of the upgrades when teaming with higher ranked players ie. high level drives and lower levels used the turrets.

Caliden wrote: »
    Arena at 70 is nothing like any PVP I've experienced in WoW.
    5v5 has the most balance (or is the least imbalanced)

Worth going back and grinding to 70 for?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Playboy wrote: »

So... Warhammer is going to have the same formula as DAoC? Ive never played DAoC but wouldn't the PvP very much depending on whos got the best gear?
    I suppose items and such always play some part of it ... but it depends on how long it takes to acquire them.

WoW for example when I stopped playing it took a ridiculous amount of time to get the best items, and by the time you did they released MORE items.

In Neocron there has been the same High lvl items for years and they havent added any to date as far as I know. The high/rare items do more damage but you have to aim at a persons head constantly to do maximum damage...
    So uber items vs casual items with person that can aim well.. skill > items

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    So... Warhammer is going to have the same formula as DAoC? Ive never played DAoC but wouldn't the PvP very much depending on whos got the best gear?
    I suppose items and such always play some part of it ... but it depends on how long it takes to acquire them.

WoW for example when I stopped playing it took a ridiculous amount of time to get the best items, and by the time you did they released MORE items.

In Neocron there has been the same High lvl items for years and they havent added any to date as far as I know. The high/rare items do more damage but you have to aim at a persons head constantly to do maximum damage...
    So uber items vs casual items with person that can aim well.. skill > items

Warhammeris going to be even more pvp centric than DAoC .. allowing you to grind through PvP if you choose to.

To an extent the best gear and items mattered but they were a side issue in DAoC. It didnt take long to get a competitive template togther and anyways usually pvp guilds would go get any new pvp gear or items togther fairly quickly whenever a new expansion came out. This would be ok for a year until the next expansion came out. When they did realase a pve grind expansion the community went nuts and mythic made it much easier and seemed to learn from their mistake.

DAoC's problem wasnt items > skill .. it was due to the fact that you could advance your character abilities through pvp and the guilds and peeps who played more and were better, quickly became too powerful for casual gamers. A kind of elite band of guilds and groups then developed who mainly competed with each other. They did try and rectify this but it didnt wholly work. Hopefully they will have addressed these problems with WAR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

DAOC was never really gear dependant. There were useful abilities that could help in a scrape, so it was worth getting, but myself and my guild rerolled 8man groups on plenty of different servers before clustering, and we were killing RR10 groups in the crap gear we levelled up in. You could survive in bad gear, but good gear was adventageous for fighing the better groups, multiple groups or zergs at once. Gearing up in DAOC hasn't been much of a chore for years, you can get 50 in a day, and get geared i another 2 at most. After that everyone is on an equal footing, so it is the ability of your group that wins fights, not the gear they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Guild wars pvp was all about teamwork, making specific builds and player skill.

MMO PvP began in Ultima Online and ended in DAOC.
    WAR is gonna be based on the parts that saw those games succeed, taking all their good bits and leaving the bad parts, ofc. I dont mean thats exactly how the DEVS are wording it and are making it, I just mean players of UO and DAOC and fans of their pvp will be in their element in warhammer.

Anyone seen or heard more on this "revolutionary" craft system in WAR btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Im curious.. anyone have any idea how many active people play the legit Ultima online servers ?
    The highest free server I seen was 400+ people I think

Drachenfels and Europa only have about 2k or 3k I believe. (they are the EU servers)

UOGamers : Hybrid is a UOR server with about 800 - 1000 players (its usa hosted)
    UOGamers : Demise which is an OSI clone has about 400 - 600 players also USA

The next highest populated ones are the European servers.
    UODreams which is Italian has around 400 - 500 and is an OSI clone

The UOGamers servers are from the guys who made the emulator RunUO, which is the reason they have so many players, which is unfortunate.

All the rest are OSI clones which is also unfortunate as OSI is **** now. I mean what they've done to the game is horrible (compared to what it was before)

The best era imo is just when AOS was released and balanced.
    There are only 2 servers based on that era, that I know of.
    Defiance AOS (the one I play)
    And some other polish shard

Defiance also have a UOR server which is due a new patch soon with some excellent changes.

Advertisement