Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buddhist/Meditation Centres

Options
  • 16-02-2008 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,

Does anyone know of there are any Buddhist/Meditation Centres anywhere in County Tipperary?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No..thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 blain

callaway92 wrote: »
    No..thank god

Did you know the Lord was a very fond of meditating:)

http://mattstone.blogs.com/photos/escoteric_icons/prayingjesusmeditating.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Your Cool

Thank you.

Meditation teaches us how to remain in control of our negative emotions and therefore maintain a more even temperament throughout our lives, if we apply its methods correctly, that is. I'm sure many will appreciate is indeed a handy tool to have in one's possession.:cool:

It is something I got into quite a few years ago while living abroad but now that I am back in Ireland I'd like to know if there are any meditation centres or groups close to where I live in Co. Tipperary. If there isn't, and if there's enough interest, then perhaps I will start up one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SuZeeDee

There's a meditation centre near Callan in Co. Kilkenny where they do vipassana meditation. Depending on where you live in Tipp, it may be an option.
    They're about a 20-30 minute drive from Clonmel:
    http://lotusvillageireland.com/

• Advertisement

Thank you for the info and the link, which most helpful. I will check them out.

Incidentally, I am near Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

blain wrote: »
    Thank you for the info and the link, which most helpful. I will check them out.

Incidentally, I am near Thurles.

hi i am in Thurles, I dont know of any centres, but would love to learn how to meditate. Its always interested me, did you check out that one in Kilkenny? Would you post or pm me if you hear of any, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Eoghanacht

I'm also in Thurles and meditation ie raja yoga has always interested me but never actually got round to visiting any centers.

If there is enough interest in the Thurles area perhaps we could start our own centre:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Eoghanacht

blain wrote: »
    If there is enough interest in the Thurles area perhaps we could start our own centre:)

Good Idea but who would teach the techniques etc? You'd need an expeience teacher/practitioner.

• Advertisement

Eoghanacht wrote: »
    Good Idea but who would teach the techniques etc? You'd need an expeience teacher/practitioner.

As someone who's been meditating for a number of years, since 1998, I am already aware of how to meditate to a particular level and wouldn't mind sharing my experience with interested people. My desire to locate a centre nearer to where I live is purely one of economics; I use to regularly visit one in Limerick, which is 100 miles round-trip.

It really isn't the length of the journey but the cost that makes it difficult; fuel is simply too expensive and a round-trip to Limerick (city) will usually set me back about 25 Euros.

As it is, I meditate at home. But as we have some rather lively children it isn't always easy, besides it's sometimes more beneficial to meditate in the company of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 KITTIPP

hi there i live in thurles too - did you find a centre for meditation or start one up yourself?

KITTIPP wrote: »
    hi there i live in thurles too - did you find a centre for meditation or start one up yourself?

I've yet to find a centre near to Thurles and have not started official meditation classes either. As mentioned already I do, however, meditate at home with my wife but this can be difficult as we have young kids.

As I've said before if there is enough interest I'd be happy to teach others (for free) how to meditate; my own experience is limited in comparison, but even so I would be fairly qualified to teach the basics.

We'd need a small, quite hall, even a good size living room or spare room in someones home for an hour or so two or three times a week would do. Unfortunately our place is a bit too lively with the kids so simply wouldn't suite. We have to wait until the younger ones are gone to bed and asleep. We have five kids.

Advertisement