Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's that old guy I always see at gigs?

Options
  • 16-02-2008 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

If you've been to any few gigs in Galway you might have spotted the guy I'm talking about. He must be at least in his 60s, gray hair, well dressed, and he frequently attends gigs around the city. He drinks water, takes notes, and dances oddly. He sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the typically young crowd. He was in the Roisin tonight and I've seen him at Cuba, De Burgo's, Richardson's and a few other places. Fair play to the guy, he always seems to be having a good time. Does anyone know who he is/what he does?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I've seen an old guy about in Roisin's a fair few times, well dressed in a trench coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I've heard rumors he's a NUIG prof. He's who I want to be when I grow up. For now, I'll settle for a t-shirt with his picture on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

old guy with glasses and balding?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

thats me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Sounds like my future.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    old guy with glasses and balding?

Thats probably the guy. He's usually well dressed with a tan-coloured coat (not sure if it could be described as a trenchcoat) and a scarf. I thought maybe he's a journalist or something as he sometimes has a notebook but he's probably out for a good time. I wanna be that guy when I grow up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

oh yeah,ive seen him in sallys once or twice at gigs, richardsons, roisin and cuba. ive a mate who drums and once after a gig the old guy went up to me mate and asked him would my mate mind teaching him drums!
    apparently, he wants to learn to play metal!
    fairness-u gotta hand it to the guy, he goes to a gig, enjoys the crap outta each gig, and puts most of us unfit bastids to shame! dunno bout anyone else, but im well and truly fa'hooked after a mosh to two/tree rapid speed tunes!

i give the mans effort a resounding 7 out of 7:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I believe he's a lecturer in history in NUIG, from out Renmore side. Used to get the same bus as him over to Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i encountered him at a gig in the roisin a while back. i initially thought he was a gimick.
    He rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

He gives us young ones a run for our money in the fitness stakes! He was out last Saturday night in Roisins giving it welly from half ten to the wee hours..seems like a nice chap, I often see him stopping and having a chat with Nora, and some other familiar Galway faces...I think he helps with the Simon Community too but could be wrong..nice guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

He sounds like a guy who used to go into Le Graal for the salsa. If it's the same guy, he really is dead on. Doesn't drink, and enjoys his nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Seen some guys laughing at him dancing and then looking bitterly jealous when the fittest girls in the club are dancing with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I was at a gig at the Roisin recently where he wrote a short poem that he handed up to the band's singer to read out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Ruthee

his name is Mark and he's a student in NUIG not a lecturer according to my housemate..open to correction.He goes to most of the gigs and had made a few films about Galway.Sound out so he is.Dont know himself but my boyf and housemates do...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

He's quality! I always see him in the Roisin and at gigs in in Sally's. Initially I thought he was taking the piss but then I heard someone talking to him, turns out he's big into his music and such.

He was i college when I was there, and that's not far off eight years now...eternal student? Seems like a sound chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Ruthee wrote: »
    his name is Mark and he's a student in NUIG not a lecturer according to my housemate..open to correction.He goes to most of the gigs and had made a few films about Galway.Sound out so he is.Dont know himself but my boyf and housemates do...

I think you're thinking of Mark Kennedy. White hair, American, always wears a scarf? Rumour has it that he was invoved in the making of the Exorcist; never asked him whether or not it was true. He used to hang around the Film Fleadh when I worked at it years ago. Sound guy.

The guy I was thinking of would be around the same age and build, but always wears a jacket and tie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mr A.

yes that s him, Mark Kennedy. He is running a small, Galway-based video production company named Street corner productions. A really sound person, and a bit of a street legend in the becoming, given both the shroud of mystery surrounding him and his increasing albeit anonymous popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

total ledgebag

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

I've seen this guy too, at the roisin and sallys, seems cool never been talking to him though, one night in sallys he was wearing an OFAC tshirt!! Savage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Louise~ wrote: »
    I've seen this guy too, at the roisin and sallys, seems cool never been talking to him though, one night in sallys he was wearing an OFAC tshirt!! Savage.

What is that really makes this guy cool then?

I have never seen him but like what makes it cool that he does it as opposed to everyone would think knacker dwarf was an idiot if he did it.

Is it just that he has a charisma or something....good dancer...what qualities does he have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

What is that really makes this guy cool then?

I have never seen him but like what makes it cool that he does it as opposed to everyone would think knacker dwarf was an idiot if he did it.

Is it just that he has a charisma or something....good dancer...what qualities does he have?

He's a pensioner who's out dancing and having a good time at a decent music spot around the city most nights of the week, how much more charisma could you ask for!

There is a small picture of him in last weeks tribune which confirms he is indeed Mark Kennedy from Street Corner Productions..lets hope we'll all be a agile and fun at his age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

that guy has been around galway for ages. arrived in the 90s and was very close to Una Taaffe. i remem that the Sunday Independent did a big spread on her back then (great grandchild of the last prime minister of Austria-Hungary) and he was featured in the photographs with her. dont know if he was quite living in the shop but she seemed to have taken him under her wing. seemed to disappear from galway for a couple of years until returning recently, and taking up a regular perch outside neachtain's during the day. when the new refuge/shelter opened in salthill there was another piece in the local papers and he was featured as one of the residents along with the redoubtable Dennis and others. Remem him being a bit strange back in the day, but cant say i have been to that many gigs of late to notice him there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

he's the Kanyu tree's biggest fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 typerated

His name is Mark Kennedy and he was involved in the making of The Exorcist.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭39steps

Mark (PJ) Kennedy died on October 2016.

Interesting article about him: https://www.hotpress.com/culture/a-life-well-lived-an-interview-with-the-late-mark-kennedy-19102936

Advertisement