Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good pet for child

Options
  • 15-02-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi

does anyone have any ideas on a pet for 2yr old. i would love to get a pet maybe a cat as their independent but how are they with children? the pet will be alone each day so dog is out.

any thoughts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

jojo88 wrote: »
    Hi

does anyone have any ideas on a pet for 2yr old. i would love to get a pet maybe a cat as their independent but how are they with children? the pet will be alone each day so dog is out.

any thoughts
    cats well they are alright but if mis handled they can scratch ouch!i would say rabbits maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

we recently adopted two rescue rabbits who had to be rehomed as they bit/scratched the kids they were bought for - one of them bit right through my housemates playstation controller wire in one go... lol, i'd rather take my chances with a cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

we recently adopted two rescue rabbits who had to be rehomed as they bit/scratched the kids they were bought for - one of them bit right through my housemates playstation controller wire in one go... lol, i'd rather take my chances with a cat!

Most likely you had some rabbits with bonding/territorial problems. My rabbit is incredibly docile, is indifferent to being petted and follows people around the house, they make great pets once you obey some simple ground rules.

Look here for more information on training them http://www.rabbit.org

If you get them young and handle them often the can get very affectionate to their owners. Its preferrable to get them in pairs, though once again read up on it first. I'd also recommend keeping them inside if you can, get a decent sized hutch and let it run around for a good hour or two in a sealed room, my young cousin loves this.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jojo88

bit/scratched the kids they were bought for - one of them bit right through my housemates playstation controller wire in one go

idea would make me nervous to get rabbit. would love a pet that as she gets older would sleep on her bed so maybe cat, would rabbit be as affectionate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Rabbits are affectionate in a different sort of way to cats, they wont nuzzle you or anything but one that you spend a good deal of time with will come sit beside you and follow you around, once again its down to training.

In this case I'd go with your instinct or maybe bring your daughter to visit someones cat or rabbit, after all it is to be her pet.

• Advertisement

jojo88 wrote: »
    would love a pet that as she gets older would sleep on her bed so maybe cat, would rabbit be as affectionate?

in my experience, cats love nothing more than to sleep, and when that sleep involves a nice warm human sized cushion, they're even happier! i always had cats growin up (and now) and i think they can make fantastic pets, i'd just be weary that its for a two yr old, there is a risk that they could get bitten or scratched, or they may just not like the cat, in which case your stuck with a newly disowned family member with a life span of fifteen + years! I hope you think this through!

Don't know too much about how affectionate rabbits can be, these are my first and i've only had them a week!

Oh, and i'd like to point out that we unplug everything before lettin the rabbits loose! The playstation was unplugged when jessica bit through so she wasnt harmed (though if my housemate had had her way... lol!):D

judge thank you, your right it is her decision so will let her make it. do you think a toddler will frighten the rabbit

are rabbits loyal i mean cats are independant and would be friendly to most who gives them food, are rabbits similar

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Most likely you had some rabbits with bonding/territorial problems. . . . . . I'd also recommend keeping them inside if you can, get a decent sized hutch and let it run around for a good hour or two in a sealed room, my young cousin loves this.

I think the kids must have been rough with them, they haven't even tried to bite me. One is more nervous than the other and she scratched a bit the first few times i picked her up, but she's fine now, much more calm and relaxed. The other is very docile, he seems to be bombproof!
    I must admit, I think, if handled well, they'd make great pets (though very different to cats), we have them indoors, they'll sit happily on your lap while watchin tv and they love to frolick around the sitting room WITH the cats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Cats are great, especially black ones, I find them to be the most gentle! Mine will let a 2 year old rub her belly and carry her around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I don't know much about cats but I've met ones that are docile and one's that will go to bite/scratch without warning, if you were to go to a rescue they could pick you out a nice docile cat maybe? or maybe a kitten so it could be used to being handled from the start. It'd also be nice to get a pair of cats/kittens so they could be company for each other while you'd be at work and you're daughter would be at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Cats are great, especially black ones, I find them to be the most gentle!

100% agree, as i type i've 2 asleep on my shoulders. Tabbies tend to be the most playful.

I've got two 2 year old nieces and they absolutely love our cats or "titty tats" as they're called

Once you keep an eye on them at first and they both understand what is and isn't allowed they'd be fine. Its no harm to let the cats get a bit scratchy with them incase they do get a little rough and the cat fightens the life out of them with an unexpected scratch!

i would like to thank each of you who answer my query, i will take some more time to consider which pet my toddler would like. just wanted to let you guys know that your responses are valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

get a pet goldfish

or 2 pet dwarf frogs

i love dwaef frogs

I have two of the swarf frogs, they are great but wouldn't really be a child's pet- mine are the size of my thumbnail and are very shy. A pair of black kittens would be great for your child so long as he/she knows to be gentle with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Perhaps an adult cornsnake? They're very sweet and docile, baby cornsnakes are very cute but would be far too fragile for a toddler to handle

A child might not get much from a snake though, whereas with something like cats they can play with it and make a friend of it. My boyfriend has a corn snake and it has no interest in people. It's tame, but it has no expressions, it's never happy to see you and you can't cuddle it!

Chris Packham's three year old daughter had a pet snake (this was years ago, mind), I saw a piece on television that showed her following the snake around the room.

My cousin's two year (now a three year old) old did the same. She followed the snake across the carpet, she didn't get TOO close, it was the first time she saw a snake, but when Jool moved, she followed.
    My other cousin's two year old boy was fascinated with the box of baby snake siblings (Jool's little ones) at Christmas

I dunno, from handling my boyfriend's snake (no rude jokes people, I've heard them all before!), it is very hard to handle, they're so smooth they can be quite slippy! Fair enough a kitten or hamster or something can wriggle but they might enjoy being handled, snakes don't seem to. I dunno- I am fascinated by snakes, I love watching them, but I could never bond with one. Maybe I'm biased!

LuckyStar wrote: »
    Fair enough a kitten or hamster or something can wriggle but they might enjoy being handled, snakes don't seem to.

Jool doesn't mind being handled, she'll tongue flick my hand and then cruise up my arm and explore my hair, I've seen a bull snake go straight up someone's sleeve and stick its head out of the collar.

As for hamsters, hmmmm, I personally wouldn't allow a toddler to handle one, the toddler could inadverently hurt the hamster which would show its appreciation by biting and hamster bites can be like jackhammers.

As far as furrys go I'd choose a guinea pig over both a hamster (bitey) and a rabbit (they have a powerful kick), they're easier to handle than rabbits and they're very vocal, always grunting and squeaking.

Maybe a rat would make a good pet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

there are caymans in wackers pet shop on the long mile road

Thank you Lucozader for the most moronic post I've ever seen in the animals & pets section

Advertisement