Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a macbook EX VAT

Options
  • 15-02-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

:confused:Hi guys,
    I want to order a macbook through our company so that I will not have to pay the Vat. My problem is that if I buy from an Irish source, I must pay the VAT but we will be credited with the VAT amount when submitting our VAT returns so I'd have to wait to get it back.

BUT

If buying outside Ireland and if an EC country, I pay the net amount as long as we are registered for vat, which we are, so this is the option I would like to avail of.

Is this possible?? Does anyone know where Id get one Ex Vat?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

teflon wrote: »
    :confused:Hi guys,
    I want to order a macbook through our company so that I will not have to pay the Vat. My problem is that if I buy from an Irish source, I must pay the VAT but we will be credited with the VAT amount when submitting our VAT returns so I'd have to wait to get it back.

BUT

If buying outside Ireland and if an EC country, I pay the net amount as long as we are registered for vat, which we are, so this is the option I would like to avail of.

Is this possible?? Does anyone know where Id get one Ex Vat?

Dabs.ie do businesses - It might force you to an irish website and back to square one, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Hi teflon! I ordered my last machine through a company and had this same issue.

If you order through Apple/reseller you will be required to pay the VAT and claim it back afterwards. I presume your company is Irish and therefore has an Irish VAT number.

I ordered through a company based in another European country and therefore the circumstances were different. I had two choices:
    • Buy excluding VAT and have the machine delieverd to the foreign business address, thereby bypassing the Irish system completey (this would have been ordering from an Irish store)
    • Or use the foreign VAT number, but pay the VAT and claim it back afterwards.

I was informed by Apple and resellers that these were the only options available to me. However, as it turns out, I chose my reseller wisely and they marked my invoice as 'SHIPPED' thereby allowing me to purchase the machine VAT free, and walk out of the shop with it in my hand. (PM me for details on where)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Pixmania do them - just go through the Pixmania Pro site - my company uses this all the time prices are quoted ex VAT we just order, pay by credit card (any credit card will do) and get it VAT free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've had this problem. I wanted to buy through Apple.ie but they wanted me to register my details as a business. Couldn't be done as it's a farm (macbook is for the farm accounts ;))though there is an Irish VAT number.

In the end I bought the macbook and paid the VAT. Every two months the accountant checks the VAT and then claimed it back. If you don't mind waiting it's the easiest way thought there are good suggestions above my post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭yer man!

Hi I'm just wondering If my dad had a business account with apple and has VAT number and all that, then could I buy through his acc using MY Laser card and let him claim back VAT on HIS account and in turn maybe give it back to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Talisman

Dabs 4 Work prices are ex. VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

yer man! wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering If my dad had a business account with apple and has VAT number and all that, then could I buy through his acc using MY Laser card and let him claim back VAT on HIS account and in turn maybe give it back to me?

That's called fraud and is illegal.

As another poster said, you can register a business with apple and that way you will be invoices ex vat.

Advertisement