Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maps on HPiPAQ

Options
  • 15-02-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I recently bought a 2nd hand HPiPAQ which has a GPS receiver built in, and wifi. Also it runs windows mobile 5.

Is there any maps (e.g. Google Maps) that I can download from the internet that will work with the GPS receiver? I know that you can download Tom Tom software, but I was wondering if there was a freebie option?

Cheers,
    P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

prospect wrote: »
    Hi All,

I recently bought a 2nd hand HPiPAQ which has a GPS receiver built in, and wifi. Also it runs windows mobile 5.

Is there any maps (e.g. Google Maps) that I can download from the internet that will work with the GPS receiver? I know that you can download Tom Tom software, but I was wondering if there was a freebie option?

Cheers,
    P.

Yeah you can download the Google Maps application from the Google site here (just click on "download cab" at bottom of page, save it to your desktop, transfer to your iPAQ and install the cab file from there).
    It should work no problem with the GPS receiver.
    It'll show you your position on the map and give you routes from A to B but that's it really.

I'm fairly sure there's no such thing as voice-guided navigation with Google Maps.
    For that you probably need to buy software like Tomtom etc.

TBH i don't know of any other free satnav software but i'd say it would be very basic (positioning on a grid kinda thing).
    For that reason Google Maps is great for what it is.

Having said all that if you buy a Nokia handset like the N95 they allow you download their proprietary maps for free (but that's a whole different ballgame- voice navigation with these still requires a data-charge anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Sorry dont mean to thread hijack but I am about to receive a Hp Ipaq h2200 and its running Windows mobile pocket PC 2003. Just wondering what the best package would be to run on this. Whats the latest tomtom that will run on this ?...... tomtom 6? or is there a better package available from another company?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

So,

If I save the Google Maps Application on the iPAQ, there is no charge for me to use it, i.e. From my phone cmpany. It purely uses the GPS to receive data, is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 murphy5880

i asked tomtom if their new navigator 6 would work on my ipaq 2795 and was told it wouldnt.

might be different with your model,

if anyone has any idea what software i could use could they let me know

murphy5880 wrote: »
    i asked tomtom if their new navigator 6 would work on my ipaq 2795 and was told it wouldnt.

might be different with your model,

if anyone has any idea what software i could use could they let me know

What operating system is on the iPAQ2795

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 murphy5880

its operating with windows mobile 5.

i ahve bluetooth and wifi,

i think garmin mobile xt wiill work if i get the garmin mobile 10 receiver, but

i dint want to buy these items if they are not going to work

thanks

So, If I save the Google Maps Application on the iPAQ, there is no charge for me to use it, i.e. From my phone cmpany. It purely uses the GPS to receive data, is this correct?

Sorry I neglected to mention that as well as installing the app itself you obviously need to download the Google Map of your location.
    If you do this over gprs/3g you're obviously going to be charged for data.
    Having said all that, I read here of a guy who was trying to cache all the Google Maps he downloaded so he wouldn't have to download the data again (and just use them repeatedly without repeat data charges).
    But that's not how they're meant to be used.
    Google Maps is more of an adhoc solution really requiring a data connection for the maps (and which also obviously can use GPS to give you your location).

@mkennedy,

Right, cheers.
    So, If I download Google Maps, I have to pay a data charge for different areas I drive in, this is an ongoing charge.

However,
    If I pay for Tom Tom now, I don't have any ongoing charge, unless I want to update the maps in a year or two?

is this correct?

@mkennedy, Right, cheers. So, If I download Google Maps, I have to pay a data charge for different areas I drive in, this is an ongoing charge. However, If I pay for Tom Tom now, I don't have any ongoing charge, unless I want to update the maps in a year or two? is this correct?

Yeah that's pretty much it.
    Plus as I said Google Maps won't actually give you voice-guided navigation like Tomtom etc will.

mkennedy wrote: »
    Yeah that's pretty much it.
    Plus as I said Google Maps won't actually give you voice-guided navigation like Tomtom etc will.

Ok,
    thanks for clearing that up for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The quality of the TomTom maps leave an awful lot to be desired. I bought Navigator 6 very recently and oh boy but i am so disappointed with it. I've used 4 or 5 different pocket pc and smartphone sat nav packages over the years and while i like the TomTom interface, their maps are sooooooooo out of date. Like 5 and 10 years on some pretty significant roads, i've found.

I used a Garmin Nuvi 250 over the Christmas break and the maps were so cool. They even had a wee roundabout just outside of town which was only constructed about 6 months earlier - ok, so my expectation were raised by this but in all fairness, the TomTom by comparison is not great.

It navigates fine and as i said the user interface is pretty smooth - i like it a lot, but the whole package is let down by it lack of decent mapping.

Advertisement